Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Inexpensive GigE Copper Switch

Inexpensive GigE Copper Switch

bobneworleans@yahoo.com

I need 6 ports of gigabit ethernet over copper. What's the cheapest
Cisco solution? (My boss doesn't like to buy used gear but I may be
able to persuade him to let me purchase this from eBay to save a lot
of money.)

I need a managed switch but can you suggest some other options if I
give up IOS and go with another vendor?

Mark Huizer

The wise http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) enlightened me with:
> I need 6 ports of gigabit ethernet over copper. What's the cheapest
> Cisco solution? (My boss doesn't like to buy used gear but I may be
> able to persuade him to let me purchase this from eBay to save a lot
> of money.)
>
> I need a managed switch but can you suggest some other options if I
> give up IOS and go with another vendor?

For simple layer2 work, I'd say: go with HP Procurve. Decent CLI, decent
prices. if you want it to do anything complex: stick to other stuff
(just my 5 eurocent)

Mark

Doug McIntyre

>I need 6 ports of gigabit ethernet over copper. What's the cheapest
>Cisco solution? (My boss doesn't like to buy used gear but I may be
>able to persuade him to let me purchase this from eBay to save a lot
>of money.)

>I need a managed switch but can you suggest some other options if I
>give up IOS and go with another vendor?

Thats just about the perfect match to Cisco's cheapest catalyst
switch, the WS-C2960G-8TC-L $1395 list (which nobody pays, but its a
base start, looks like some really deap discounts for this one).
8-ports of copper GigE on a managed layer-2 switch. They also have a
24-port and 48-port in this series, a bit cheaper per-port cost, but
still up there ($137/$124).

If you need to go cheaper, Cisco Small-Business (ie. linksys moving up
into the Cisco name product line), has the SRW2008 for alot less.
This one is going to be "web managed", but I don't know what your
definition of managed is. In general, web managed doesn't have SNMP,
but I haven't used this one (but have other vendors "web managed" ones).

I like the Dell switches for cheap, managed gig switches. They OEM
them from somewhere, but they've been pretty solid for us overall.

alexd

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:03:49 +0000, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> has the SRW2008 for alot less. This
> one is going to be "web managed", but I don't know what your definition
> of managed is. In general, web managed doesn't have SNMP, but I haven't
> used this one (but have other vendors "web managed" ones).

I've found the web interfaces on SRW2xxx to be seriously unimpressive:
ugly, clunky and IE-only. Not impressive for a switch made in 2010.

> I like the Dell switches for cheap, managed gig switches. They OEM them
> from somewhere, but they've been pretty solid for us overall.

Marvell I reckon, same place that the CSB SFE2xxx switches come from
[check the CLI, it's identical].

20:08:12 up 8 days, 59 min, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.06
DIMENSION-CONTROLLING FORT DOH HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED,
AND TIME STARTED FLOWING REVERSELY