Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Another False Positive from CA

Another False Positive from CA

sharonf

After applying the most recent virus update (731 Windows Update fails
to work properly. When accessing the page I get a message asking me to
install the software for Windows Update. When I click on "Install" I get
a pop up message from CA saying that it has detected
win32/asuspect.haeof in wuweb.dll and quarantined it. Then windows
update does not continue. This is happening on all three of our
computers. Windows update worked fine immediately before applying this
update. When I do a complete virus scan it comes up clean. CA confirms
there is a False positive and they are working on it.

Mike Easter

sharonf wrote:

> CA confirms
> there is a False positive and they are working on it.

CA's AV wasn't considered sufficiently 'important' (or something) by AV
Comparatives to perform comparison tests with the 16 AV agents they
/did/ consider sufficiently important or of sufficient quality or
reliability to be considered in the comparatives.

If CA had been tested, you would be able to see how bad (or good) their
problem is with false positives, which would be considered a very
negative feature.

Unfortunately, CA's name is so short and ambiguous (a major mistake IMO)
that you can't do any kind of meaningful searches on it.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/ In order to get included in our main
tests, vendors must fulfill various conditions and minimum requirements.
.... Qualified Candidates: At AV-Comparatives we limit the number of
participants in our tests to about sixteen to twenty vendors and where
possible we include only good and reliable products/vendors.

avast! Free 5.0
AVG Anti-Virus 9.0
AVIRA AntiVir Premium 9
BitDefender Antivirus 2010