Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Stats Experts: Use Gnumeric, Don’t Use Excel

Stats Experts: Use Gnumeric, Don’t Use Excel

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hlvm31$vfk$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> But there was a clear implication that the bugs somehow didn’t matter.

> Not to me. The implication to me was that only a fool would use Excel for
> stats.

But what would the relevance be of that, then?

peterwn

On Feb 23, 5:37*pm, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > In message <hluvm4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:

> >> He said this "Using excel,gnumeric or any other general purpose
> >> spreadsheet for statistical analysis sounds a bit like using a baseball
> >> bat to drive nails."
> >> * Does this sound like advocating sticking with Excel? *Not to me.

> > But there was a clear implication that the bugs somehow didnt matter..

> Not to me. *The implication to me was that only a fool would use Excel for stats.

Since allegedly one is born every minute, there would be millions of
people out there who would potentially use spreadsheet software for
stats.