Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > "Zero Wireless Configuration" Service missing

"Zero Wireless Configuration" Service missing

=?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=

I have a Toshiba Pentium III laptop with XP SP1 installed.

I've had an 802.11b router and network card and it worked fine. Now I'm
trying to upgrade to a D-Link 802.11g router and card and am having some
set-up problems with the card. It wouldn't find the router. I did some
troubleshooting on D-Link's website and come to find out my XP Services is
missing the Zero Wireless Configuration utility.

I compared it to my other laptop and I have the wzcsvc.dll file, and I even
downloaded an updated version from the MS site, but the service still doesn't
show up.

I can't upgrade to XP SP2 because Toshiba provided a modified version of XP
and XP SP1 due to some hardware issues... they didn't support SP2 though and
so I'm stuck with one on this machine. If I use Microsofts upgrade, parts of
my laptop won't work.

Is it possible for me to get a copy of just that utility to install? Or
what other files are necessary for that service to run and I can copy them
from my other laptop. Or is there a Windows Registry entry that needs to be
adjusted?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I'm stuck until I get this
figured out.

Clark

I understood in was installed in SP2, but I may be wrong. If it would help
you any, I have that utility but choose to use the one that came with the
wireless card.

If you can't see the wireless, get close, turn off security, turn on SSID
broadcasts, and make sure the wireless is turned on for the computer and on
the router. If you do a "scan for networks", you should see yours if the
card is working. If you don't, check to see if the lights are blinking on
your wireless card or the router, and if not, check the drivers for the
card.

Clark

"harry-u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Toshiba Pentium III laptop with XP SP1 installed.
>
> I've had an 802.11b router and network card and it worked fine. Now I'm
> trying to upgrade to a D-Link 802.11g router and card and am having some
> set-up problems with the card. It wouldn't find the router. I did some
> troubleshooting on D-Link's website and come to find out my XP Services is
> missing the Zero Wireless Configuration utility.
>
> I compared it to my other laptop and I have the wzcsvc.dll file, and I
> even
> downloaded an updated version from the MS site, but the service still
> doesn't
> show up.
>
> I can't upgrade to XP SP2 because Toshiba provided a modified version of
> XP
> and XP SP1 due to some hardware issues... they didn't support SP2 though
> and
> so I'm stuck with one on this machine. If I use Microsofts upgrade, parts
> of
> my laptop won't work.
>
> Is it possible for me to get a copy of just that utility to install? Or
> what other files are necessary for that service to run and I can copy them
> from my other laptop. Or is there a Windows Registry entry that needs to
> be
> adjusted?
>
> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I'm stuck until I get
> this
> figured out.

=?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=

Thanks for the response, but there's 2 things... It was there for Windows XP
right from the start. D-Link's Tech support site shows screen shot examples
of it for XP SP1. Secondly, unfortunately, the utility that came with the
card needs the Zero Wireless Configuration service to work properly.

Is it possible to download the service?, or is there a list of files needed
that I could copy from my other laptop?

OR... is there some other wireless utility somewhere that I could download
for free that I could use instead of the Windows utility or D-Link's?

I'd be grateful for any further help.

"Clark" wrote:

> I understood in was installed in SP2, but I may be wrong. If it would help
> you any, I have that utility but choose to use the one that came with the
> wireless card.
>
> If you can't see the wireless, get close, turn off security, turn on SSID
> broadcasts, and make sure the wireless is turned on for the computer and on
> the router. If you do a "scan for networks", you should see yours if the
> card is working. If you don't, check to see if the lights are blinking on
> your wireless card or the router, and if not, check the drivers for the
> card.
>
> Clark
>
> "harry-u" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a Toshiba Pentium III laptop with XP SP1 installed.
> >
> > I've had an 802.11b router and network card and it worked fine. Now I'm
> > trying to upgrade to a D-Link 802.11g router and card and am having some
> > set-up problems with the card. It wouldn't find the router. I did some
> > troubleshooting on D-Link's website and come to find out my XP Services is
> > missing the Zero Wireless Configuration utility.
> >
> > I compared it to my other laptop and I have the wzcsvc.dll file, and I
> > even
> > downloaded an updated version from the MS site, but the service still
> > doesn't
> > show up.
> >
> > I can't upgrade to XP SP2 because Toshiba provided a modified version of
> > XP
> > and XP SP1 due to some hardware issues... they didn't support SP2 though
> > and
> > so I'm stuck with one on this machine. If I use Microsofts upgrade, parts
> > of
> > my laptop won't work.
> >
> > Is it possible for me to get a copy of just that utility to install? Or
> > what other files are necessary for that service to run and I can copy them
> > from my other laptop. Or is there a Windows Registry entry that needs to
> > be
> > adjusted?
> >
> > Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I'm stuck until I get
> > this
> > figured out.

Barb Bowman MVP-Windows

which parts? what model laptop?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=

Someone else on another board gave me the answer I needed and everything now
works...

I needed a Start value of 2 in my registry entry for Wireless Network
settings.

Thanks anyway, but I'm now good.

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:

> which parts? what model laptop?
>
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:19:01 -0700, "harry-u"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >If I use Microsofts upgrade, parts of
> >my laptop won't work.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

=?Utf-8?B?V2luZU1rcg==?=

I'm having exactly the same problem you had. What exactly was the fix you
made?

"harry-u" wrote:

> Someone else on another board gave me the answer I needed and everything now
> works...
>
> I needed a Start value of 2 in my registry entry for Wireless Network
> settings.
>
> Thanks anyway, but I'm now good.
>

> "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:
>
> > which parts? what model laptop?
> >
> > On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:19:01 -0700, "harry-u"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >If I use Microsofts upgrade, parts of
> > >my laptop won't work.

> > --
> >
> > Barb Bowman
> > MS Windows-MVP
> > Expert Zone Columnist
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> > http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

=?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=

Here's the answer that worked for me...

Create a DWORD value named Start in the following registry key and set it to
2.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrĀ*entControlSet\Serv ices\WZCSV

Using regedit to get there and set it up.
After I created the entry, the Wireless Zero Configuration service showed up
in the services list and my Wireless PC Card worked fine.

Good luck!

"WineMkr" wrote:

> I'm having exactly the same problem you had. What exactly was the fix you
> made?
>
> "harry-u" wrote:
>
> > Someone else on another board gave me the answer I needed and everything now
> > works...
> >
> > I needed a Start value of 2 in my registry entry for Wireless Network
> > settings.
> >
> > Thanks anyway, but I'm now good.
> >

> > "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" wrote:
> >
> > > which parts? what model laptop?

> > > --
> > >
> > > Barb Bowman
> > > MS Windows-MVP
> > > Expert Zone Columnist
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> > > http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

=?Utf-8?B?V2luZU1rcg==?=

I think I found a cleaner solution at:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20040311.shtml

"harry-u" wrote:

> Here's the answer that worked for me...
>
> Create a DWORD value named Start in the following registry key and set it to
> 2.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrĀ*entControlSet\Serv ices\WZCSV
>
> Using regedit to get there and set it up.
> After I created the entry, the Wireless Zero Configuration service showed up
> in the services list and my Wireless PC Card worked fine.
>
> Good luck!
>

> "WineMkr" wrote:
>
> > I'm having exactly the same problem you had. What exactly was the fix you
> > made?
> >
> > "harry-u" wrote:
> >
> > > Someone else on another board gave me the answer I needed and everything now
> > > works...
> > >
> > > I needed a Start value of 2 in my registry entry for Wireless Network
> > > settings.
> > >
> > > Thanks anyway, but I'm now good.

=?Utf-8?B?aGFycnktdQ==?=

You're right... it is a cleaner solution. I wish I had found that when I was
hunting down the right answer.

"WineMkr" wrote:

> I think I found a cleaner solution at:
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20040311.shtml
>
> "harry-u" wrote:
>
> > Here's the answer that worked for me...
> >
> > Create a DWORD value named Start in the following registry key and set it to
> > 2.
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrĀ*entControlSet\Serv ices\WZCSV
> >
> > Using regedit to get there and set it up.
> > After I created the entry, the Wireless Zero Configuration service showed up
> > in the services list and my Wireless PC Card worked fine.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >

> > "WineMkr" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having exactly the same problem you had. What exactly was the fix you
> > > made?

=?Utf-8?B?R3Jhbml0ZUd1eQ==?=

I had a similar situation where wireless zero service was not installed...
this was great!!! looked all over the web for this simple answer... Thanks!!