Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Do vodafone Vodems work on XT?

Reply
Thread Tools

Do vodafone Vodems work on XT?

 
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2010
I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT?
Or will a telecom T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the
appropriate SIM inserted of course)

Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.


Regards


Squigs
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2010
Squiggle wrote:
> I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
> which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT?
> Or will a telecom T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the
> appropriate SIM inserted of course)
>
> Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.


some of the older slow ones had UMTS 850 support for XT on them.

They all do GPRS with edge which is all that 2degrees offer at the
moment, but at their prices you would be an idiot to use it for more
than a quick status update or something.

2 degrees will be only 2100MHz 3g, so any card should do it when they
finally launch it, whenver that will be.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2010
Richard threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> Squiggle wrote:
>> I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
>> which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT?
>> Or will a telecom T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the
>> appropriate SIM inserted of course)
>>
>> Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.

>
> some of the older slow ones had UMTS 850 support for XT on them.
>
> They all do GPRS with edge which is all that 2degrees offer at the
> moment, but at their prices you would be an idiot to use it for more
> than a quick status update or something.
>
> 2 degrees will be only 2100MHz 3g, so any card should do it when they
> finally launch it, whenver that will be.

so vodafone is UMTS 900?, gprs and hsdpa 2100?
2 degrees is gprs 1800? and eventually hsdpa 2100?
and telecom XT is umts850 only?


I'll admit being clueless about all the standards.. i gave up keeping
track of it all about the time you stopped putting serial cables up the
back of motorola bricks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2010
Squiggle wrote:

> so vodafone is UMTS 900?, gprs and hsdpa 2100?
> 2 degrees is gprs 1800? and eventually hsdpa 2100?
> and telecom XT is umts850 only?
>
>
> I'll admit being clueless about all the standards.. i gave up keeping
> track of it all about the time you stopped putting serial cables up the
> back of motorola bricks


VF is UMTS2100 in urban areas, with 900 coming soon so they say. Will
help a lot since XT is so much better at giving 3g inside those popular
things most people have called buildings.

2degrees is 900 GPRS with edge, so its somewhat usable compared to VF's
old GPRS only network. They claim to have 1800 as well but I have no way
to verify that.

Telecom has some 2100 sites which is why some people say that phoens
work on XT, only to be disappointed when they leave the CBD or airport
corrodor only to see nothing.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2010
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:04:25 +1300, Squiggle wrote:

> I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
> which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT? Or will a telecom
> T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the appropriate SIM
> inserted of course)
>
> Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.


Heh heh. Better question is: Is the XT network able to work reliably!?!


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2010
Sweetpea wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:04:25 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
>
>> I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
>> which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT? Or will a telecom
>> T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the appropriate SIM
>> inserted of course)
>>
>> Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.

>
> Heh heh. Better question is: Is the XT network able to work reliably!?!


Been fine here north of Taupo
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Empson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2010
Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Squiggle wrote:
>
> > so vodafone is UMTS 900?, gprs and hsdpa 2100?
> > 2 degrees is gprs 1800? and eventually hsdpa 2100?
> > and telecom XT is umts850 only?
> >
> > I'll admit being clueless about all the standards.. i gave up keeping
> > track of it all about the time you stopped putting serial cables up the
> > back of motorola bricks

>
> VF is UMTS2100 in urban areas, with 900 coming soon so they say. Will
> help a lot since XT is so much better at giving 3g inside those popular
> things most people have called buildings.


Interesting. Do you know if they are planning to shut down UMTS2100, or
keep it runnng alongside UMTS900?

Vodafone is the official network for the iPhone in New Zealand (and the
only one offering a discount on the iPhone for a term contract), but
current iPhone models can't do UMTS at 900 MHz.

Given Vodafone's current network configuration, the iPhone can't get 3G
outside of main centres (nor in main centres if the 2100 MHz cell sites
are temporary offline or overloaded). It drops to GPRS on 900 MHz.

Amusingly, the iPhone works perfectly nationwide on Telecom XT, with
UMTS at 850 MHz. (Assuming Telecom XT is working, of course.)

If Vodafone shuts off their UMTS2100 network, lots of iPhone users will
be switching to Telecom XT.

I suppose there isn't much point building out a 2100 network nationwide
as the cell sites would need to be more closely spaced to get similar
coverage.

--
David Empson
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2010
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 22:58:53 +1300, Richard wrote:

> VF is UMTS2100 in urban areas, with 900 coming soon so they say. Will
> help a lot since XT is so much better at giving 3g inside those popular
> things most people have called buildings.


Translated: radiation out of the XT network of transmitters is much better at penetrating multiple solid
objects.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-20-2010
In message <1je8ksd.9hj6tb1pehbpmN%(E-Mail Removed)>, David Empson
wrote:

> Vodafone is the official network for the iPhone in New Zealand (and the
> only one offering a discount on the iPhone for a term contract), but
> current iPhone models can't do UMTS at 900 MHz.


Choice is a wonderful thing, isn’t it...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2010
On 2010-02-20, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sweetpea wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:04:25 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
>>
>>> I realise there are several different models of Vodem, but i'm wondering
>>> which (if any) vodems will work on 2degrees and XT? Or will a telecom
>>> T-stick work on Vodafone and 2 degrees? (with the appropriate SIM
>>> inserted of course)
>>>
>>> Just trying to avoid buying 2 or 3 USB 3G adapters if possible.

>>
>> Heh heh. Better question is: Is the XT network able to work reliably!?!

>
> Been fine here north of Taupo


Stand by for this to be corrected, real soon now.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vodafone lousy service with lead walls mikedane Computer Support 5 03-02-2007 05:00 AM
Cisco VPN On Vodafone Data Card (UK) - HELP!!!! box200 Cisco 0 11-03-2006 01:25 PM
Firefox and Vodafone Billing website Adam Firefox 3 09-25-2006 11:14 PM
?OT:Help with Motorola T192 on Vodafone UK Kimball K Kinnison Computer Support 1 01-14-2004 10:21 PM
Vodafone issues on Monday due to LOTR me here NZ Computing 5 12-03-2003 08:03 AM



Advertisments