Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVDs In NZ Aren’t This Bad—Yet...

DVDs In NZ Aren’t This Bad—Yet...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> No, we were talking about manufacturers of DVD players.

>> So, are the members of the DVD Consortium and MPEG-LA excluded from your
>> exhortations about “freedom”, or not?

> They can do with their property what they like.

Including preventing you from making unauthorized use of it?

Sweetpea

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 22:48:27 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> No, we were talking about manufacturers of DVD players.

>> So, are the members of the DVD Consortium and MPEG-LA excluded from
>> your exhortations about “freedom”, or not?

> They can do with their property what they like.

>>> They can do with their property what they like.

>> But your use of non-licensed Free Software violates that freedom, does
>> it not?

> No - My use of software doesn't effect how makers of DVD players can
> make their equipment.

Indeed it doesn't _e_ffect anything other than on your computer.

But it might affect your bank account if you were successfully prosecuted for using software that
included unlicensed patented technology.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> They can do with their property what they like.

>> Including preventing you from making unauthorized use of it?

> Of course. It's their property.

But you can defeat that prevention by using unlicensed Free Software.
Doesn’t that make a mockery of “their” property?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar
>> wrote:

>>> Of course. It's their property.

>> But you can defeat that prevention by using unlicensed Free Software.
>> Doesn’t that make a mockery of “their” property?

> How can property have a mockery made of it?

The fact that you have shown no qualms about using software that violates
that “property”, as you have described it.