Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVDs In NZ Aren’t This Bad—Yet...

DVDs In NZ Aren’t This Bad—Yet...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg>

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> <http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg>

I have rented one that was like that, could only FF the trailers.

Usually stopping it and then pressing title 3 or 4 will get to the
movie, but STOP is disabled on the panasonic player during all the
startup ****, so you have to madly press stop as you put the disc in to
have it not start with all the copyright wouldnt steal a car bollix.

I agree, just pirate it. The discs have none of that crap, and the
engrish on the liner makes for entertaining reading.

David Empson

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > <http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg>

> I have rented one that was like that, could only FF the trailers.

I've seen several but can't point to one in particular.

I also recall a friend mentioning that the entire Thunderbirds series
has several minutes of unskippable ads before you can play the main
feature. (I don't recall if you could fast forward them.)

--
David Empson

Sweetpea

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:57:34 +1300, Richard wrote:

> I agree, just pirate it.

I think it would be irresponsible to advocate purchasing pirated copies of films or CDs.

Having said that, the makers of those DVDs are their own worst enemies because by their actions
they've in fact pushed people towards pirated copies.

Craig Shore

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:57:34 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> <http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg>

>I have rented one that was like that, could only FF the trailers.
>
>Usually stopping it and then pressing title 3 or 4 will get to the
>movie, but STOP is disabled on the panasonic player during all the
>startup ****, so you have to madly press stop as you put the disc in to
>have it not start with all the copyright wouldnt steal a car bollix.
>
>I agree, just pirate it. The discs have none of that crap, and the
>engrish on the liner makes for entertaining reading.

Usually if you press the MENU button it takes you straight past the
previews and onto the main menu for the movie.

David Empson

Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:57:34 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> >> <http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg>

> >I have rented one that was like that, could only FF the trailers.
> >
> >Usually stopping it and then pressing title 3 or 4 will get to the
> >movie, but STOP is disabled on the panasonic player during all the
> >startup ****, so you have to madly press stop as you put the disc in to
> >have it not start with all the copyright wouldnt steal a car bollix.
> >
> >I agree, just pirate it. The discs have none of that crap, and the
> >engrish on the liner makes for entertaining reading.

> Usually if you press the MENU button it takes you straight past the
> previews and onto the main menu for the movie.

I'd say "sometimes" rather than "usually".

I've found one NZ DVD in my collection which has three unskippable
trailers prior to the main menu: Yes Man.

The Menu and Title buttons are rejected, and so is the Next button. I
could fast forward during the trailers, and by using a DVD player on a
computer I could jump to near the end of each trailer quickly (by
clicking on the timeline), but this isn't available with a standard DVD
player.

Very very annoying.

Another one which is not quite as bad is Get Smart. It has three
trailers which can be skipped (one at a time) using the Next button but
not Menu or Title.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:39:07 +1300, Craig Shore
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:57:34 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> <http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg>

>>I have rented one that was like that, could only FF the trailers.
>>
>>Usually stopping it and then pressing title 3 or 4 will get to the
>>movie, but STOP is disabled on the panasonic player during all the
>>startup ****, so you have to madly press stop as you put the disc in to
>>have it not start with all the copyright wouldnt steal a car bollix.
>>
>>I agree, just pirate it. The discs have none of that crap, and the
>>engrish on the liner makes for entertaining reading.

>Usually if you press the MENU button it takes you straight past the
>previews and onto the main menu for the movie.

No, the MENU button is often locked out too.

Stephen Worthington

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:27:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

><http://i.imgur.com/GxzeV.jpg>

I don't think I have ever met a DVD that was quite that bad. I have
met a couple where they annoyed me so much that I ripped them and used
PGCEdit to unlock everything and burned a fixed copy. But I have
pretty much stopped worrying about it now, as instead of using a
commercial DVD player, I now use MythTV under Linux to play DVDs. Its
player software ignores all the lockout instructions on the DVD and
allows you to skip or use the Menu button even if the DVD does not
allow it.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Worthington
wrote:

> I don't think I have ever met a DVD that was quite that bad.

Apparently it’s more common in the US.

Here’s <http://www.mpucoder.com/DVD/uops.html> a full list of the operations
your player can be prohibited from performing. Depressing, isn’t it...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> Someone should produce a DVD player that ignores the "invalid operations"
> specified on the DVD.

They are required to obey them, as part of the licensing conditions.

Similarly, the Freeview licensing conditions prohibit the ability to
transfer the stream digitally to external drives.