Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Help with DECNet problem

Help with DECNet problem

ve7eje

I am hoping someone can help with this problem
We currently have 2 DECNet hosts on opposite sides of a single Cisco
router. I have the following config on that router which works fine...

decnet routing 6.200
decnet node-type routing-iv
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
decnet cost 5
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
decnet cost 5

We are moving to a more complex intersite IP network which looks more
like this.
SiteAHost <> SiteARtr <> TelcoSiteARtr <> TelcoMPLSWAN <>
TelcoSiteBRtr <> SiteBRtr <> SiteBHost

I have control over both SiteARtr and SiteBRtr but none of the Telco
equipment although they "assure" me that they support DECNet.
If I simply duplicate the existing commands on the new Site A and B
routers, will it work? Is there anything else I need to do? Will the
Telco need to add anything to their configuration?

Thanks -Rob-

bod43

On 19 Feb, 16:09, ve7eje <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am hoping someone can help with this problem
> We currently have 2 DECNet hosts on opposite sides of a single Cisco
> router. I have the following config on that router which works fine...
>
> decnet routing 6.200
> decnet node-type routing-iv
> !
> interface FastEthernet0/0
> *decnet cost 5
> !
> interface FastEthernet0/1
> *decnet cost 5
>
> We are moving to a more complex intersite IP network which looks more
> like this.
> SiteAHost <> SiteARtr <> TelcoSiteARtr <> TelcoMPLSWAN <>
> TelcoSiteBRtr <> SiteBRtr <> SiteBHost
>
> I have control over both SiteARtr and SiteBRtr but none of the Telco
> equipment although they "assure" me that they support DECNet.
> If I simply duplicate the existing commands on the new Site A and B
> routers, will it work? Is there anything else I need to do? Will the
> Telco need to add anything to their configuration?

Would seem to me to be vanishingly unlikely that a
current provider would support DECnet. Unless you get
a Layer 2 service from them in which case they do not "see"
the DECnet (L3) traffic.

One option might be to do your own L2TPv3 tunnel or
maybe you can tunnel DECNet over IP. Not sure.

int tu 1
decnet commands here
source ip.address
dest ip.address

Ask them for confirmation in writing (a proper letter
through the post) from their Chief
Technology Officer that they will support
your proposed DECNet solution.

Dan Lanciani

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (bod43) writes:

| One option might be to do your own L2TPv3 tunnel or
| maybe you can tunnel DECNet over IP. Not sure.
|
| int tu 1
| decnet commands here
| source ip.address
| dest ip.address

You could certainly do DECNet over GRE at one time, though I'm beginning
to wonder how much longer Cisco will support these "legacy" protocols.
Seems to me they gave notice several IOS versions ago that a number of
protocols (including DECNet) were going away, but only Vines actually
went. On the other hand I thought I'd noticed that DECNet-specific
commands had become more hidden lately, with even the simple shows
requiring a privileged mode.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

DECnet over IP FMonkey Cisco 11 01-06-2007 07:12 PM
DECnet over GRE tunnel with FiberOptic leased-line sali Cisco 6 03-29-2006 09:29 PM
DECnet over GRE tunnel with serial interface parislubis@yahoo.com Cisco 1 10-06-2005 03:09 PM
How to test DECnet? Ivan Ostreš Cisco 8 03-02-2005 10:23 AM
how to halt DECNET processes William J King Cisco 1 12-24-2003 01:25 AM

Advertisments