Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Any friendly Linux Geek in Hamilton?

Any friendly Linux Geek in Hamilton?

Gadget

I'm a good Win superuser, and can muddle my way thru basic 'nix
requirements.
Have an elderly friend that bought a (Xandros-based) EEEPC (one of the
original 701's) a while ago.
Loves the machine, does what he wants at home and out-and-about.

Over Xmas, bought a Telecom "vodem" stick for access to XT on the move
(yeah I know, but he's bought it now!).Course,it doesn't (natively)
work under 'nix.

Have disabled the 'disc-0' win autorun to start getting nix seeing it
as a modem not a flash drive.
Now, however, I'm stuck in a combination of dependency hell and just
not knowing enough-eg have got into the console, used apt-get (using
sudo) to install gnome-ppp but keep getting source errors,
installation errors, "directory is locked" etc.

If there's anyone that can help me out for an hour or so over the
weekend, would be vastly appreciated: would be good to learn some
more.
Otherwise, I'll throw my spare XP-home license on it and make it go
Many thanks for anyone that can give me some face-face pointers (just
please don't make me use vi!
-Darl

victor

Gadget wrote:
> I'm a good Win superuser, and can muddle my way thru basic 'nix
> requirements.
> Have an elderly friend that bought a (Xandros-based) EEEPC (one of the
> original 701's) a while ago.
> Loves the machine, does what he wants at home and out-and-about.
>
> Over Xmas, bought a Telecom "vodem" stick for access to XT on the move
> (yeah I know, but he's bought it now!).Course,it doesn't (natively)
> work under 'nix.
>
> Have disabled the 'disc-0' win autorun to start getting nix seeing it
> as a modem not a flash drive.
> Now, however, I'm stuck in a combination of dependency hell and just
> not knowing enough-eg have got into the console, used apt-get (using
> sudo) to install gnome-ppp but keep getting source errors,
> installation errors, "directory is locked" etc.
>
> If there's anyone that can help me out for an hour or so over the
> weekend, would be vastly appreciated: would be good to learn some
> more.
> Otherwise, I'll throw my spare XP-home license on it and make it go
> Many thanks for anyone that can give me some face-face pointers (just
> please don't make me use vi!
> -Darl

I believe the Tstick is a Sierra Wireless device so this might help.
http://sierrawireless.custhelp.com/a...28-v.1.7.12%29

Geekzones forums might have people who can help.

I have a couple of 701s and have changed the distros to eeebuntu to get
a better choice from the repositories
http://www.eeeuser.com/ is a good place to look at the options.

Peter

Gadget wrote:
> If there's anyone that can help me out for an hour or so over the
> weekend, would be vastly appreciated: would be good to learn some
> more.

Not in Hamilton myself, but I understand there are quite a few Linux geeks
in that district. You might try contacting them via
www.wlug.org.nz

From their website, it looks like they have a workshop coming up on 6 March,
so if you can't find someone beforehand, that might be a good opportunity to
get face to face access to some knowhow.

HTH

Peter