Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Problem with freeing memory

Re: Problem with freeing memory

Marcel Müller

Gert-Jan de Vos wrote:
>> Huh? What's wrong with this:
>> std::vector<int> v(1024);
>> c_style_foobar( &v[0], v.size() );

> All elements in v will be default initialized. This can be a
> performance
> problem for large arrays of POD types that are initialized from a C
> function.

AFAIK POD types have an empty default constructor resulting in an
undefined value at the beginning. This is nothing else than any other
allocation of raw memory.

> For this reason, I made a dynamic_array template class that
> has mostly the same interface as vector but allocates using new T,
> without initialization. This has several advantages over scoped_array:
>
> - STL style container
> - value type semantics

For buffers I would prefer reference or scoped semantics because the
expensive copy function is nothing that is likely to be wanted.

> - it knows its size

Absolutely. This is essential.

Marcel

Problem with libxml and Reader#expand not freeing memory szimek Ruby 0 06-22-2009 09:33 AM
memory allocation and freeing memory Rodrigo Dominguez C Programming 11 06-14-2005 11:54 PM
freeing memory Harald Kirsch Java 0 04-22-2005 09:17 AM
freeing memory Rajesh.Rapaka Java 17 04-21-2005 10:11 PM
Freeing more Virtual Memory in Compaq Presario S4000NX Bun Mui Computer Support 2 05-22-2004 08:46 PM

Advertisments