Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > eSata Is Not Hot-Swap?

eSata Is Not Hot-Swap?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

If it’s not, then to me that defeats much of the point
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=794>.

Nobody should be introducing new external connectors to PCs that aren’t hot-
pluggable. We left all that nonsense behind with SCSI.

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> If it’s not, then to me that defeats much of the point
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=794>.
>
> Nobody should be introducing new external connectors to PCs that aren’t hot-
> pluggable. We left all that nonsense behind with SCSI.

It is for me, just tell windows to remove the device in the tray, tells
me I can remove it, unplug it.

Plug a drive in and within a few seconds it autolaunches.

It doesnt do that if you use IDE emulation, for obvious reasons that IDE
is not swappable, but a refresh in device manager will have it finding a
new drive, and unplugging when not writing to it seems to have minimal
ill effect, unless you are dumb enough to have a drive formatted in FAT

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> If it's not, then to me that defeats much of the point
>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=794>.
>>
>> Nobody should be introducing new external connectors to PCs that
>> aren't hot- pluggable. We left all that nonsense behind with SCSI.

> It is for me, just tell windows to remove the device in the tray,
> tells me I can remove it, unplug it.
>
> Plug a drive in and within a few seconds it autolaunches.

Yep, same for me. My desktop machine has one fixed (system) drive and four
SATA HDD bays. I did have to download a little app that allows me to stop
them, (I'm running XP on it) similar to a USB 'safely remove' thing that
sits in the systray.

> It doesnt do that if you use IDE emulation, for obvious reasons that
> IDE is not swappable, but a refresh in device manager will have it
> finding a new drive, and unplugging when not writing to it seems to
> have minimal ill effect, unless you are dumb enough to have a drive
> formatted in FAT

Mmm. I'm using ACHI mode, on both my desktop and my laptop.
--
Shaun.

Nota bene: 'Return to' email is very rarely checked, if at all. It's spam
city but is a req. of my NNTP providor.