Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > QoS on Cisco ASA 5505 (DSL)

QoS on Cisco ASA 5505 (DSL)

bod43

On 17 Feb, 19:36, Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 1:58*pm, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:43:04 -0800, Joe wrote:
> > > Do you have an example of some code to do this? *I'd want to do this
> > > with ftp, and I have another site that I'd use it with SMTP (for a
> > > scan-to-email machine they have).

> > <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/secu...uration/guide/
> > qos.html>

> > --
> > *<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
> > *18:57:50 up 1 day, 23:48, *6 users, *load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0..06
> > *DIMENSION-CONTROLLING FORT DOH HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED,
> > *AND TIME STARTED FLOWING REVERSELY

> Yeah, I was looking at that document, but unfortunately it has a lot
> of information in it that doesn't make sense to me. *ASAs are new to
> me, and most of what I can find involves putting QoS on a vpn
> connection. *I tried to cobble that into what I was trying to do
> (which resulted in the configuration I have posted above), but there's
> something I'm missing.

The ASA seems to have the tools you need.

The best solution is to do traffic shaping on
the outbound traffic to limit the rate to
the DSL upload rate. Then within that
do priority queuing for your voice traffic.

This is implemented with a hierarchical
policy map.

The main or outer policy map shapes the traffic to
some rate and then the inner or sub policy map
can priority queue the traffic within that rate.

There is an example in the document already mentioned.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/secu...guide/qos.html
See:-
"Creating a Policy for Traffic Shaping and
Hierarchical Priority Queueing"

class-map CM.voice-carrier
match dscp cs5 ef

!<-- First define the "sub" policy for priority queuing
policy-map PM.sub.voice-carrier
class CM.voice-carrier
priority

!<-- Now define the "main" policy for traffic shaping
policy-map PM.main.shape
class class-default !<-- this class defined by default
shape average 256000 10000
service-policy PM.sub.voice-carrier

!<-- Now add the policy to an interface. Only makes sense
!<-- outbound so that seems to be assumed.
service-policy PM.main.shape interface outside

I don't have an ASA to play with so I have not
tried these commands.

Be conservative with the shape rate, make SURE it is
LOWER than your traffic speed.

The other thing to worry about is to ensure that the ASA
honours the dscp bits. I have not checked. By default
switches throw them away on receipt.

"DSCP markings are preserved on all traffic passing
through the security appliance."
So no worries there then))

Good luck.