Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Longer and shorter USB extension leads

Longer and shorter USB extension leads

john bently

I have just bought two 1.5 metre long USB extension cables. When I use
either one connected to my desk top PC and then plug in my four port USB hub
to the other end, the hub works perfectly.

When I used both extension leads joined together (giving me a lead of a
total length of 3 metres). The USB hub does not work. Sometimes it shows
the message, 'a probem has occurred the device might not work properly'.

I was hoping to be able to use this longer joined up lead (3 metres), so
that I could plug in my Humax PVR into my computer to transfer some
television film recordings from the Humax to my external hard drive (which
is connected to my computer).

Could anyone explain to a novice what the reason might be for the 3 metre
joined up cables not to work, please? Thanks.

The Real Truth MVP

Try a different USB port on your pc or get a powered USB hub.

your time.

"john bently" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hlfbjs$jb3$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> I have just bought two 1.5 metre long USB extension cables. When I use
> either one connected to my desk top PC and then plug in my four port USB
> hub to the other end, the hub works perfectly.
>
> When I used both extension leads joined together (giving me a lead of a
> total length of 3 metres). The USB hub does not work. Sometimes it shows
> the message, 'a probem has occurred the device might not work properly'.
>
> I was hoping to be able to use this longer joined up lead (3 metres), so
> that I could plug in my Humax PVR into my computer to transfer some
> television film recordings from the Humax to my external hard drive (which
> is connected to my computer).
>
> Could anyone explain to a novice what the reason might be for the 3 metre
> joined up cables not to work, please? Thanks.

PeeCee

"john bently" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hlfbjs$jb3$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> I have just bought two 1.5 metre long USB extension cables. When I use
> either one connected to my desk top PC and then plug in my four port USB
> hub to the other end, the hub works perfectly.
>
> When I used both extension leads joined together (giving me a lead of a
> total length of 3 metres). The USB hub does not work. Sometimes it shows
> the message, 'a probem has occurred the device might not work properly'.
>
> I was hoping to be able to use this longer joined up lead (3 metres), so
> that I could plug in my Humax PVR into my computer to transfer some
> television film recordings from the Humax to my external hard drive (which
> is connected to my computer).
>
> Could anyone explain to a novice what the reason might be for the 3 metre
> joined up cables not to work, please? Thanks.

John

In general cable quality has a big effect when working at maximum length.
Where one brand of cable might work another apparently similar won't.

There is an informative article on Wikipedia that discusses USB cable
length:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...seful_distance

Your options are to try another cable or try one of the ethernet cable
extenders.

I also note you say" plug in my Humax PVR into my computer to transfer some
> television film recordings from the Humax to my external hard drive (which
> is connected to my computer)"

Now 'usually' any USB port on a PVR will be a USB host ie for connecting an
external storage device to.
i.e. plug your external hard drive straight into the PVR USB port.

Using it to connect to your computer will require the use of a special
network emumation USB cable.

You don't say what model of Humax PVR you use, the one's I can find on the
net don't seem to feature a USB port of any sort anyway.

Best
Paul.

richard

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 00:00:43 -0000, john bently wrote:

> I have just bought two 1.5 metre long USB extension cables. When I use
> either one connected to my desk top PC and then plug in my four port USB hub
> to the other end, the hub works perfectly.
>
> When I used both extension leads joined together (giving me a lead of a
> total length of 3 metres). The USB hub does not work. Sometimes it shows
> the message, 'a probem has occurred the device might not work properly'.
>
> I was hoping to be able to use this longer joined up lead (3 metres), so
> that I could plug in my Humax PVR into my computer to transfer some
> television film recordings from the Humax to my external hard drive (which
> is connected to my computer).
>
> Could anyone explain to a novice what the reason might be for the 3 metre
> joined up cables not to work, please? Thanks.

try using a single cable for the length.