Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Redirect COM port output to a file?

Redirect COM port output to a file?

Brocker

On Feb 17, 11:32*am, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Under windows (XP Pro) is it possible to link the COM1 port to a file
> to capture output set to the port? A customer site has an ancient
> label printer attached to COM1 and I want to capture the label markup
> language being sent to it. If I can redirect the port to a file I
> could just print a label, have the data go to a file and then examine
> it with a text editor.
>
> Possible?
>
> TIA,
> JohnO

Why not feed it into another PC/Laptop that has a serial port?

Richard

JohnO wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Under windows (XP Pro) is it possible to link the COM1 port to a file
> to capture output set to the port? A customer site has an ancient
> label printer attached to COM1 and I want to capture the label markup
> language being sent to it. If I can redirect the port to a file I
> could just print a label, have the data go to a file and then examine
> it with a text editor.

What type of printer? When I had a look the dymo and brother protocols
were well documented from reverse engeneering and there was some GPL
code for the dymo to turn a PBM file into what the printer wanted.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Frank Williams
wrote:

> COM Ports are output ports so no way to loop the data back in.

They are bidirectional.

JohnO

On Feb 17, 6:12*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> JohnO wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > Under windows (XP Pro) is it possible to link the COM1 port to a file
> > to capture output set to the port? A customer site has an ancient
> > label printer attached to COM1 and I want to capture the label markup
> > language being sent to it. If I can redirect the port to a file I
> > could just print a label, have the data go to a file and then examine
> > it with a text editor.

> What type of printer? When I had a look the dymo and brother protocols
> were well documented from reverse engeneering and there was some GPL
> code for the dymo to turn a PBM file into what the printer wanted.

It's a Sato and their markup language is fugly.

JohnO

On Feb 17, 5:56*pm, Brocker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 11:32*am, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,

> > Under windows (XP Pro) is it possible to link the COM1 port to a file
> > to capture output set to the port? A customer site has an ancient
> > label printer attached to COM1 and I want to capture the label markup
> > language being sent to it. If I can redirect the port to a file I
> > could just print a label, have the data go to a file and then examine
> > it with a text editor.

> > Possible?

> > TIA,
> > JohnO

> Why not feed it into another PC/Laptop that has a serial port?

Yeah maybe. I'll have to get down to Gisborne to do this which is a
PITA though.

EMB

On 17/02/2010 7:47 p.m., JohnO wrote:

> It's a Sato and their markup language is fugly.

It's not that bad - I've written a lot of apps to drive them over the years.

Frank Williams

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:47:56 -0800 (PST), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Feb 17, 6:12*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> JohnO wrote:
>> > Hi All,

>> > Under windows (XP Pro) is it possible to link the COM1 port to a file
>> > to capture output set to the port? A customer site has an ancient
>> > label printer attached to COM1 and I want to capture the label markup
>> > language being sent to it. If I can redirect the port to a file I
>> > could just print a label, have the data go to a file and then examine
>> > it with a text editor.

>> What type of printer? When I had a look the dymo and brother protocols
>> were well documented from reverse engeneering and there was some GPL
>> code for the dymo to turn a PBM file into what the printer wanted.

>It's a Sato and their markup language is fugly.

Just remembered that I've used Hyperterminal to print to a file, when the
person did not have a RS323 Printer.
You can down load a updated version in what is installed in Windows

http://www.hilgraeve.com/hyperterminal.html

asdjf@163.com

It's easy!
use the debug tool below:

http://www.armecos.com/en/comtrace.html

helleng helleng is offline
Junior Member

If you need constantly capture data from the serial port, then here's a pretty good option: AGG Software's RS232 logger, because allows to start data capturing automatically and can work as a Windows service.

--
Helleng