Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Pervasiveness of STL

Pervasiveness of STL

jamm

> that language. I've heard on the grapevine that Java and C# have
> added some features vaguely like C++ templates in the last couple
> years, but don't know the details. 3 months of C# was enough to cure
> any curiousity ;-P.
>
> Cheers,
> Tony

Java and C# offer "Generics". Gives some template like functionality.

--
*From the 1966 TV series:*
Robin: You can't get away from Batman that easy!

Paul

On Feb 17, 8:48*pm, tonydee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2:55*am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Further, the usability, utility, clarity and concision of STL usage
> > > will improve with C++0x, e.g. lambdas, Concepts would have helped with
> > > error messages too .

> > Oh, yeah. *I remember some of those messages.

> They have a reputation worse than they deserve... .

In that case, I must not have gotten beyond the beginner phase
sufficiently to see that...which is itself an indication of the
decipherability of the error messages (if you need much experience for
them to be helpful).

> > > AFAIK, there are no alternatives to the STL that are both
> > > significantly popular and increasingly so.

> > You said no alternative...do you mean in general, or in C++?

> I mean in C++. *Other languages have their own container
> abstractions....
>
> > *Many
> > computing environments have gone Microsoft these days, but I have high
> > hopes of VST/VSTA environment supporting standards.

Bob, did I ever do a typo there. I meant to say that I *don't* have
high hopes of support for standards by VST/VSTA.

> > I haven't yet
> > started to search for info on whether STL is supported.

> I'd never heard of VST/VSTA... can't offer any insights there.

Visual Studio Tools (for Applications), the new environment for VBA
(and a bunch of other languages e.g. C++).

> > C++ is the
> > only language I know of with templates, so I'm not sure if it even
> > makes sense to ask about STL equivalents in other programming
> > languages/environments.

> It depends on how "equivalent" you mean. *I don't think you'll find
> many languages' containers have an equivalent container/iterator/
> algorithm design. *Some languages have to embed support for particular
> containers, as they can't be efficiently implemented as libraries in
> that language. *I've heard on the grapevine that Java and C# have
> added some features vaguely like C++ templates in the last couple
> years, but don't know the details. *3 months of C# was enough to cure
> any curiousity ;-P.

I meant a container library and algorithm library that is data-
generic, not necessarily identical to STL but covering a broad range
of useful and needed functionality. The genericness requires template-
like features in the language, possibly provided at the precompile
stage (if I recall correctly, templates and indeed C++ features were
at one time resolved at the precompile stage -- maybe templates still
are!).