Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox: 5 Days

Firefox: 5 Days

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.

So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

Craig Sutton

news:hldomg$h2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days,

switch it off and go to bed
..

Sweetpea

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:32:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
> evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
> clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.
>
> So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

Why on earth would you want to be running a web browser for such a long time as that??

Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the browser until the next time
you need to look at a website?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:32:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
>> evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
>> clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.
>>
>> So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

> Why on earth would you want to be running a web browser for such a long
> time as that??

Why on earth would I want to keep quitting it all the time?

> Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the
> browser until the next time you need to look at a website?

But I’m ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

Cima

news:hldomg$h2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ive been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days,

LOL, I know I'd get a hardon if I ran FF continuously for 5 days.

>But Im ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
>Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

Sad.... no, pathetic.

Gordon

On 2010-02-16, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:32:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
>>> evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
>>> clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.
>>>
>>> So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

>> Why on earth would you want to be running a web browser for such a long
>> time as that??

> Why on earth would I want to keep quitting it all the time?
>
>> Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the
>> browser until the next time you need to look at a website?

> But I’m ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
> Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

Nevertheless, I shall ask the question. Are you reading them while they are
open?

Richard

Sweetpea wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:32:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> I’ve been running Firefox/Iceweasel continuously for 5 days, and this
>> evening it started exhibiting a little bit of hesitancy in responding to
>> clicks. Previously this has got quite bad when I’ve left it for longer.
>>
>> So, nip it in the bud: quit and relaunch. All nice and smooth again.

> Why on earth would you want to be running a web browser for such a long time as that??
>
> Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the browser until the next time
> you need to look at a website?

Google reader, gmail, twitter, all stay open in tabs that I look at
frequently.

Why should I have to close an app and reopen it to have it start doing
the same thing it was doing before but at an acceptable speed.

This reminds me of the old days where you had to reboot a windows
machine weekly to keep it working properly.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

> On 2010-02-16, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand>
> wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>>
>>> Surely you would look at a website and when you're done simply close the
>>> browser until the next time you need to look at a website?

>> But I’m ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
>> Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

> Nevertheless, I shall ask the question. Are you reading them while they
> are open?

Bit difficult to do it when they’re not.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Cima wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:hldomg$h2s$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>But I’m ALWAYS looking at websites. I have pages open for days on end.
>>Documentation pages, news pages, wiki pages, you name it.

> Sad.... no, pathetic.

Only if you’re not getting a profit out of it.

EMB

On 17/02/2010 6:10 p.m., Richard wrote:

> This reminds me of the old days where you had to reboot a windows
> machine weekly to keep it working properly.

It sounds like Larry's linux box has graduated to needing a weekly
fingering to stay stable.