Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Use Both Wireless and Wired Adapters at the Same Time

Use Both Wireless and Wired Adapters at the Same Time

Frederick R. Hutchings

Is it beneficial to use both adapters on a laptop at the same time? Will it
be faster?

Fred

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
Nope, you can Not use them at the same time.
Using two Network cards together (aka, as teaming) need special hardware and
real Server OS.
If you would like you can leave the two On and configure the Metrics for
preference.
http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Frederick R. Hutchings" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it beneficial to use both adapters on a laptop at the same time? Will
> it be faster?
>
> Fred

Frederick R. Hutchings

Jack,

Thanks very much! I use the wireless during the day and the wired for
nightly backups. With the Metrics, all I have to do is plug in the cable,
and the wired takes over. When I unplug it in the morning, it goes to
wireless. Perfect.

I set the Metric of the wired connection to 10 and the wireless to 20 so
that the wired connection has preference, as the article you recommended
suggested. I rebooted.

When I plug in the cable, they both stay connected, but the wired connection
appears to be the only one in use. The wireless icon still shows activity
very intermittently, maybe once each time I access something on the network.
Is that normal?

When I unplug the cable, it obviously uses the wireless.

Just what I am looking for.

Fred

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Nope, you can Not use them at the same time.
> Using two Network cards together (aka, as teaming) need special hardware
> and real Server OS.
> If you would like you can leave the two On and configure the Metrics for
> preference.
> http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "Frederick R. Hutchings" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is it beneficial to use both adapters on a laptop at the same time? Will
>> it be faster?
>>
>> Fred

HalfCalf31 HalfCalf31 is offline
Junior Member

Sorry if you already found the answer, but here it is just in case.

Cisco routers are able to make two connections to one device, depending on the types of connections it's either unequal cost path load balancing, or equal cost path load balancing. The router will transfer the data through both connections, it'll increase file transfers, maybe downloads depending on your connection to the modem, what your plan with the ISP is, but it should increase your download speed, most slow connections are a result of the wireless connection. You usually find this being used with servers, or NAS devices, usually where multiple users or other devices are sending/receiving data from the storage devices. If it's set up properly, it will make a noticeable difference. If you want maximum speed for a laptop, you're best bet is getting a Cisco Gigabit router with wireless-N, or wireless-AC, unless you're using a desktop, then two cat6 connections would be... just.... wow. Hope this helps