Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: black one inch slots

Re: black one inch slots

JD

On 15/02/2010 8:13 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left inside are
> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my computer.
> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
> Thanks.

What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?

A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or it
could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system is.

as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound cards
(such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.

for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually white),
as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your motherboard
has unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that gives you a
back plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a USB hub plugged
into a usb port.

JD

JD

On 15/02/2010 8:43 PM, Pete10016 wrote:

> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4b79af9e$0$2525$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 15/02/2010 8:13 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
>>> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left
>>> inside are
>>> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
>>> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my
>>> computer.
>>> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
>>> Thanks.

>> What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?
>>
>> A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or
>> it could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system is.
>>
>> as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound
>> cards (such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.
>>
>> for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually
>> white), as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your
>> motherboard has unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that
>> gives you a back plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a USB
>> hub plugged into a usb port.
>>
>> JD
>>

> I can't find my book... I looked in "System Information" and it doesn't
> say anything about the MB.
> Is there a way short of opening the case?

what's the cpu, that will give us some indacation of the age and what
may be on the board.

JD

JD

On 15/02/2010 8:56 PM, Pete10016 wrote:

> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4b79b2a8$0$2534$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 15/02/2010 8:43 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
>>>
>>> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4b79af9e$0$2525$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I can't find my book... I looked in "System Information" and it doesn't
>>> say anything about the MB.
>>> Is there a way short of opening the case?

>> what's the cpu, that will give us some indacation of the age and what
>> may be on the board.
>>
>> JD

> The board is definetly less than two years old. Very fast chip. Very
> humble MB.

its more than likely a PCIEx1 then, like I said in the first post you
can get Sound cards, WiFi cards and Raid Controllers for that slot, you
don't see much of them around tho most ppl still use the PCI slots.

JD

JD

On 15/02/2010 9:08 PM, Pete10016 wrote:

> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4b79b6bd$0$2474$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 15/02/2010 8:56 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
>>>
>>> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4b79b2a8$0$2534$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The board is definetly less than two years old. Very fast chip. Very
>>> humble MB.

>> its more than likely a PCIEx1 then, like I said in the first post you
>> can get Sound cards, WiFi cards and Raid Controllers for that slot,
>> you don't see much of them around tho most ppl still use the PCI slots.
>>
>> JD
>>

> One last question, can I expand for USB and eSATA ports?

Yes you can get eSATA and USB controllers for the PCIEx1 slot, the
PCIEx1 will eventually replace PCI.

JD

Re: black one inch slots Jeff Strickland Computer Information 1 02-16-2010 09:51 PM
slots? SLOTS? tin gherdanarra Python 2 10-13-2005 12:31 AM
19 inch vs 17 inch LCD akiwi NZ Computing 40 04-27-2005 12:38 AM
Film scanner for 2 1/4 inch by 2 1/4 inch James E Koehler Digital Photography 6 10-16-2003 01:32 PM

Advertisments