Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7/64 question

Windows 7/64 question

Sardine

Can someone tell me why my Win 7/64 seems to have a single default
folder where almost everything is saved, unless I am careful and force a
change?

I'm talking about just one folder, everything seems to be forced to go
there on saving.

The folder is ...Users\my-user-name\documents\excel files

This is a pain in the a** for me. If I haven't specified a certain save
location for a software, the saved files go to me excel files folder.

This isn't just ms office, it happens with almost all software I have
installed.

I removed everything from Libraries\documents but nothing changed. Win-7
is not very nice to me.

Thanks,

Sardine

Dennis Pack

Sardine:
The default folder for saving documents is "Users\user-name\documents"
unless a different location is indicated. Another default function when
saving an item is to list the last location that a save was made to first
which then can be edited. The second default function is the probable cause
for everything going to the folder "Users\my-user-name\documents\excel
files" on your computer. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
"Sardine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hla38b$1go$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone tell me why my Win 7/64 seems to have a single default folder
> where almost everything is saved, unless I am careful and force a change?
>
> I'm talking about just one folder, everything seems to be forced to go
> there on saving.
>
> The folder is ...Users\my-user-name\documents\excel files
>
> This is a pain in the a** for me. If I haven't specified a certain save
> location for a software, the saved files go to me excel files folder.
>
> This isn't just ms office, it happens with almost all software I have
> installed.
>
> I removed everything from Libraries\documents but nothing changed. Win-7
> is not very nice to me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sardine

> signature database 4866 (20100214) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4869 (20100215) __________

http://www.eset.com

Sardine

Ghod Dhammit wrote:
> "Sardine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hla38b$1go$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can someone tell me why my Win 7/64 seems to have a single default folder
>> where almost everything is saved, unless I am careful and force a change?
>>
>> I'm talking about just one folder, everything seems to be forced to go
>> there on saving.
>>
>> The folder is ...Users\my-user-name\documents\excel files
>>
>> This is a pain in the a** for me. If I haven't specified a certain save
>> location for a software, the saved files go to me excel files folder.
>>
>> This isn't just ms office, it happens with almost all software I have
>> installed.
>>
>> I removed everything from Libraries\documents but nothing changed. Win-7
>> is not very nice to me.

> Prolly loose nut behind the keyboard. Heh. I can't imagine how you got
> into this state. Well, if no one comes up with a fix, you can always
> reinstall winders, that oughta take care of it.

Well, I think you are probably right about me causing it without knowing
what I did (or didn't) do.

In any case, I'll survive.

Thanks.

Sardine

Robert Aldwinckle

"Sardine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hla38b$1go$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone tell me why my Win 7/64 seems to have a single default folder
> where almost everything is saved, unless I am careful and force a change?

AIUI now it doesn't matter where we stuff things since we now have Libraries
to keep track of them? ; [

---