Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > removing a partition

removing a partition

Drew

Hi all.. I currently dual boot Vista business and win7 rc. since I currently
cannot afford to do the upgrade to full win7 and the rc is going to expire
soon I was wondering, Can I simply delete the partition containing win 7 or
will it be more involved than that. All help appreciated. Thanks

Bobby Johnson

What is the current layout of your system? Where is Vista 64-bit
installed and where is Win 7 64-bit installed?

On 2010-02-14 14:38, Drew wrote:
> Hi all.. I currently dual boot Vista business and win7 rc. since I
> currently cannot afford to do the upgrade to full win7 and the rc is
> going to expire soon I was wondering, Can I simply delete the partition
> containing win 7 or will it be more involved than that. All help
> appreciated. Thanks

Drew

Thanks for responding Bobby.. originally I had one drive (Cwith vista64
on it. I then shrank that drive using disk management and created a
partition (J I then installed win7 64bit rc on (J. Any other info
required?

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the current layout of your system? Where is Vista 64-bit
> installed and where is Win 7 64-bit installed?
>

> On 2010-02-14 14:38, Drew wrote:
>> Hi all.. I currently dual boot Vista business and win7 rc. since I
>> currently cannot afford to do the upgrade to full win7 and the rc is
>> going to expire soon I was wondering, Can I simply delete the partition
>> containing win 7 or will it be more involved than that. All help
>> appreciated. Thanks

Bobby Johnson

I would think you could delete the partition without J: affecting your
Vista installation on partition C:.

On 2010-02-14 18:42, Drew wrote:
> Thanks for responding Bobby.. originally I had one drive (Cwith
> vista64 on it. I then shrank that drive using disk management and
> created a partition (J I then installed win7 64bit rc on (J. Any
> other info required?
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What is the current layout of your system? Where is Vista 64-bit
>> installed and where is Win 7 64-bit installed?
>>

>> On 2010-02-14 14:38, Drew wrote:
>>> Hi all.. I currently dual boot Vista business and win7 rc. since I
>>> currently cannot afford to do the upgrade to full win7 and the rc is
>>> going to expire soon I was wondering, Can I simply delete the partition
>>> containing win 7 or will it be more involved than that. All help
>>> appreciated. Thanks

Drew

Bobby, I don't know whether it makes a difference or not but when I boot the
computer I am given the choice of course as to which to boot to win 7 first
or win vista 2nd. Will I have to do something else or when I format "J"( if
that is possible) will that choice then disappear ?

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would think you could delete the partition without J: affecting your
> Vista installation on partition C:.
>

> On 2010-02-14 18:42, Drew wrote:
>> Thanks for responding Bobby.. originally I had one drive (Cwith
>> vista64 on it. I then shrank that drive using disk management and
>> created a partition (J I then installed win7 64bit rc on (J. Any
>> other info required?
>>
>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What is the current layout of your system? Where is Vista 64-bit
>>> installed and where is Win 7 64-bit installed?

Tom

Which was installed first, Win 7 or Vista. Usually the older operating
system is installed first (that in this case being Vista), though it can be
done the other way as well. One sure fire way to know which one is the drive
that loads for both systems is the "C:" drive. I know that Win7 actually
creates its own 100MB partition for loading the OS, which is a pretty cool
way to take care of the loader.

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bobby, I don't know whether it makes a difference or not but when I boot
> the computer I am given the choice of course as to which to boot to win 7
> first or win vista 2nd. Will I have to do something else or when I format
> "J"( if that is possible) will that choice then disappear ?
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I would think you could delete the partition without J: affecting your
>> Vista installation on partition C:.
>>

>> On 2010-02-14 18:42, Drew wrote:
>>> Thanks for responding Bobby.. originally I had one drive (Cwith
>>> vista64 on it. I then shrank that drive using disk management and
>>> created a partition (J I then installed win7 64bit rc on (J. Any
>>> other info required?
>>>
>>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Drew

Vista installed first but win 7 shows first on boot screen with vista listed
below it. If I do not specifically choose vista it will auto boot into win7
after I believe 20 seconds.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which was installed first, Win 7 or Vista. Usually the older operating
> system is installed first (that in this case being Vista), though it can
> be done the other way as well. One sure fire way to know which one is the
> drive that loads for both systems is the "C:" drive. I know that Win7
> actually creates its own 100MB partition for loading the OS, which is a
> pretty cool way to take care of the loader.
>
> "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bobby, I don't know whether it makes a difference or not but when I boot
>> the computer I am given the choice of course as to which to boot to win 7
>> first or win vista 2nd. Will I have to do something else or when I format
>> "J"( if that is possible) will that choice then disappear ?
>>
>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I would think you could delete the partition without J: affecting your
>>> Vista installation on partition C:.

Dominic Payer

The Windows 7 RC partition can be deleted.

The boot options will still be displayed with a default timeout of 30
seconds.

The easiest way to remove the boot option choice is to install EasyBCD
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 and use that to edit the boot options.

On 15/02/2010 04:08, Drew wrote:
> Vista installed first but win 7 shows first on boot screen with vista
> listed below it. If I do not specifically choose vista it will auto boot
> into win7 after I believe 20 seconds.
>
> "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Which was installed first, Win 7 or Vista. Usually the older operating
>> system is installed first (that in this case being Vista), though it
>> can be done the other way as well. One sure fire way to know which one
>> is the drive that loads for both systems is the "C:" drive. I know
>> that Win7 actually creates its own 100MB partition for loading the OS,
>> which is a pretty cool way to take care of the loader.
>>
>> "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Bobby, I don't know whether it makes a difference or not but when I
>>> boot the computer I am given the choice of course as to which to boot
>>> to win 7 first or win vista 2nd. Will I have to do something else or
>>> when I format "J"( if that is possible) will that choice then
>>> disappear ?
>>>
>>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tom

Answered by Dominic and he is correct.

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista installed first but win 7 shows first on boot screen with vista
> listed below it. If I do not specifically choose vista it will auto boot
> into win7 after I believe 20 seconds.
>
> "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Which was installed first, Win 7 or Vista. Usually the older operating
>> system is installed first (that in this case being Vista), though it can
>> be done the other way as well. One sure fire way to know which one is the
>> drive that loads for both systems is the "C:" drive. I know that Win7
>> actually creates its own 100MB partition for loading the OS, which is a
>> pretty cool way to take care of the loader.
>>
>> "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Bobby, I don't know whether it makes a difference or not but when I boot
>>> the computer I am given the choice of course as to which to boot to win
>>> 7 first or win vista 2nd. Will I have to do something else or when I
>>> format "J"( if that is possible) will that choice then disappear ?
>>>
>>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Drew

Thanks Dominic! I appreciate the help

news:(E-Mail Removed)...