Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Compaq Pesario c500 laptop . extending the power button

Compaq Pesario c500 laptop . extending the power button

me

I know the answer to this as far as desktops go, but not with laptops. I
have a desktop pc running in an arcade cabinet, and have the power button
re-routed to an arcade button, connected to the pins on the motherboard to
turn it on and off, works great. My question is, can i do this with a
laptop, or is it likely that the on-off switch is directly under the button,
and that the button presses the switch directly, rather than connected via a
wire like on a tower pc? If that is the case,i might be able to desolder the
switch and replace it with wires to an external switch.

Mike Easter

me wrote:
> have a desktop pc running in an arcade cabinet,

> can i do
> this with a laptop,

I don't understand why you would want to do that with a LT; that is, I
don't understand, can't see/imagine, the 'target' result/purpose in this
scenario.

--
Mike Easter

PeeCee

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b7797e7$0$15758$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know the answer to this as far as desktops go, but not with laptops. I
> have a desktop pc running in an arcade cabinet, and have the power button
> re-routed to an arcade button, connected to the pins on the motherboard to
> turn it on and off, works great. My question is, can i do this with a
> laptop, or is it likely that the on-off switch is directly under the
> button, and that the button presses the switch directly, rather than
> connected via a wire like on a tower pc? If that is the case,i might be
> able to desolder the switch and replace it with wires to an external
> switch.

Most modern Laptops have a PCB style momentary switch like this
:http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=SP0609 soldered to a circuit
board.
The on button usually presses directly on this.
As they are a normally open there is no reason you can't solder a pair of
wires on the back side of the circuit board and run the leads out to a
switch mounted in a more convenient location.
Because of the high impedance nature of Laptop circuitry you will probably
have to filter the lead to avoid phantom triggering.

Best
Paul.

Whiskers

On 2010-02-14, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I know the answer to this as far as desktops go, but not with laptops. I
> have a desktop pc running in an arcade cabinet, and have the power button
> re-routed to an arcade button, connected to the pins on the motherboard to
> turn it on and off, works great. My question is, can i do this with a
> laptop, or is it likely that the on-off switch is directly under the button,
> and that the button presses the switch directly, rather than connected via a
> wire like on a tower pc? If that is the case,i might be able to desolder the
> switch and replace it with wires to an external switch.

Why put a computer casing inside some other casing? Wouldn't it be easier
to put a bare motherboard etc directly into whatever container is going to
be the outside? That should make for easier maintenence and better
cooling.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

John Holmes

Mike Easter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> me wrote:
>> have a desktop pc running in an arcade cabinet,

>> can i do
>> this with a laptop,

> I don't understand why you would want to do that with a LT; that is, I
> don't understand, can't see/imagine, the 'target' result/purpose in
> this scenario.

Who ****ing cares what you do or don't understand? The OP must have some
reason why he wants to accomplish this and that's not of your ****ing
business, Mike.

--
<snip>

me

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2010-02-14, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I know the answer to this as far as desktops go, but not with laptops. I
>> have a desktop pc running in an arcade cabinet, and have the power button
>> re-routed to an arcade button, connected to the pins on the motherboard
>> turn it on and off, works great. My question is, can i do this with a
>> laptop, or is it likely that the on-off switch is directly under the
>> button,
>> and that the button presses the switch directly, rather than connected
>> via a
>> wire like on a tower pc? If that is the case,i might be able to desolder
>> the
>> switch and replace it with wires to an external switch.

> Why put a computer casing inside some other casing? Wouldn't it be easier
> to put a bare motherboard etc directly into whatever container is going to
> be the outside? That should make for easier maintenence and better
> cooling.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

That is how i have it,i just said the word desktop to differentiate between
that and a lappy.

me

"John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike Easter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> me wrote:
>>> have a desktop pc running in an arcade cabinet,

>>> can i do
>>> this with a laptop,

>> I don't understand why you would want to do that with a LT; that is, I
>> don't understand, can't see/imagine, the 'target' result/purpose in
>> this scenario.
>>

> Who ****ing cares what you do or don't understand? The OP must have some
> reason why he wants to accomplish this and that's not of your ****ing
> business, Mike.
>
> --
> <snip>

LOL

Mike Easter

John Holmes wrote:
> Mike Easter
>> me wrote:
>>> have a desktop pc running in an arcade cabinet,
>>> can i do
>>> this with a laptop,

>> I don't understand why you would want to do that with a LT; that is, I
>> don't understand, can't see/imagine, the 'target' result/purpose in
>> this scenario.
>>

> Who ****ing cares what you do or don't understand? The OP must have some
> reason why he wants to accomplish this and that's not of your ****ing
> business, Mike.

The OP wasn't being truthful (accurate, honest, specific) about what he
was trying to do.

He needed to express himself better, more accurately and specifically.
Now he sez he isn't *actually* trying to put a LT inside an arcade
cabinet. Big difference.

I was trying to get him to accurately define what he was working with
and what he was trying to do with it.

--
Mike Easter

me

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hl8i07$lqj$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4b7797e7$0$15758$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I know the answer to this as far as desktops go, but not with laptops. I
>> have a desktop pc running in an arcade cabinet, and have the power button
>> re-routed to an arcade button, connected to the pins on the motherboard
>> to turn it on and off, works great. My question is, can i do this with a
>> laptop, or is it likely that the on-off switch is directly under the
>> button, and that the button presses the switch directly, rather than
>> connected via a wire like on a tower pc? If that is the case,i might be
>> able to desolder the switch and replace it with wires to an external
>> switch.

> Most modern Laptops have a PCB style momentary switch like this
> :http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=SP0609 soldered to a circuit
> board.
> The on button usually presses directly on this.
> As they are a normally open there is no reason you can't solder a pair of
> wires on the back side of the circuit board and run the leads out to a
> switch mounted in a more convenient location.
> Because of the high impedance nature of Laptop circuitry you will probably
> have to filter the lead to avoid phantom triggering.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Thanks Peecee,soldering should be easy enough once i get the thing apart,but
what would you suggest as far as a filter goes? Having not done that before,
i'm not sure what type would be needed.

John Holmes

Mike Easter "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> John Holmes wrote:
>> Mike Easter

>>> I don't understand why you would want to do that with a LT; that
>>> is, I don't understand, can't see/imagine, the 'target'
>>> result/purpose in this scenario.
>>>

>> Who ****ing cares what you do or don't understand? The OP must have
>> some reason why he wants to accomplish this and that's not of your
>> ****ing business, Mike.
>>

> The OP wasn't being truthful (accurate, honest, specific) about what
> he was trying to do.
>
> He needed to express himself better, more accurately and specifically.
> Now he sez he isn't *actually* trying to put a LT inside an arcade
> cabinet. Big difference.
>
> I was trying to get him to accurately define what he was working with
> and what he was trying to do with it.

That would make an enormous difference on how you would format your
answer, now wouldn't it?

--
<snip>