Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > killed sessions

killed sessions

Chris D

I've asp.net sites that regularly get updated with new templates, css changes
etc. I understand that changes to the build (dll) & pool recycles will kill
sessions but

1. do updates to the aspx templates, css files & web.config kill user
sessions?
2. do updates to these require iis stop/start/reset to avoid the server from
dishing up cached pages?

Thanks!!

S. Justin Gengo

Chris,

Assuming your application is not pre-compiled (otherwise you wouldn't be
able to update an aspx page) updated to the aspx pages and css files will
not kill sessions. Updates to the web.config file do reset the application
pool and will indeed kill the sessions.

If you need to have sessions continue within your application even when the
application is updated you may do a few different things:

Don't use sessions (probably not an option)

Store sessions on a session state server:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...z9(VS.71).aspx

Or move sessions to a SQL Server:
http://idunno.org/articles/277.aspx

--