Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 871W

Supersleuth

Hi

Can anyone point to a model that is simila rin size to the 871W 4 port
switch with wireless

I need it with the following spec.

4 x 10/100/1000 ethernet

802.11 b/g/n

CLI interface

able to define a monitor port(s) for upstream, downstrem or both ways
traffic

doesnt have to be cisco but prefered but does have to be portable.

I want to use it as a wired/wireless tap for packet capture by clients

many thanks

Doug McIntyre

Supersleuth <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Can anyone point to a model that is simila rin size to the 871W 4 port
>switch with wireless

>I need it with the following spec.

>4 x 10/100/1000 ethernet

>802.11 b/g/n

>CLI interface

>able to define a monitor port(s) for upstream, downstrem or both ways
>traffic

Not likely, thats alot for a portable package.
Other vendors aren't going there much either.

You can get close with a Cisco 1941W, you can add on two HWIC-1GE-SFP's,
but you don't get SPAN port monitoring on router ports, they'll be
seperate routed ports.

If packet debug traces are good enough for you, that might be an option.

A FortiWiFi-80CM is even smaller, but only has 2 ge ports, and 7 FE
lan ports. But again, you'd have to do packet debug traces to see
trafic through it, no port SPAN, although you could setup a
"software hub" on 6 of the FE ports, you won't be able to include the
GE ports.

It sounds like you really want a incredibly small 4-port managed Gig switch.
Pretty small market for that.

bod43

On 11 Feb, 22:00, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Supersleuth <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >Can anyone point to a model that is simila rin size to the 871W 4 port
> >switch with wireless
> >I need it with the following spec.
> >4 x 10/100/1000 ethernet
> >802.11 b/g/n
> >CLI interface
> >able to define a monitor port(s) for upstream, downstrem or both ways
> >traffic

> Not likely, thats alot for a portable package.
> Other vendors aren't going there much either.
>
> You can get close with a Cisco 1941W, you can add on two HWIC-1GE-SFP's,
> but you don't get SPAN port monitoring on router ports, they'll be
> seperate routed ports.
>
> If packet debug traces are good enough for you, that might be an option.
>
> A FortiWiFi-80CM is even smaller, but only has 2 ge ports, and 7 FE
> lan ports. But again, you'd have to do packet debug traces to see
> trafic through it, no port SPAN, although you could setup a
> "software hub" on 6 of the FE ports, you won't be able to include the
> GE ports.
>
> It sounds like you really want a incredibly small 4-port managed Gig switch.
> Pretty small market for that.

Perhaps this may help.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...78-502727.html
Cisco IOS Embedded Packet Capture

It's quite a new facility but is available on many routers.

This will probally (at a wild guess) work on
"router ports" but not "switch ports".

So on an 871 (if it works at all on an 871 - check software
versions - www.cisco.com/go/fn) it might work on
the outside interface, SVIs (i.e. VLAN interfaces)
but will probably not work on the 4 individual internal
switch ports.

Thing is that an 871 has limited performance and
if you add packet capture then it may well prove
inadequate for your needs.

The most certain thing is to add a switch that supports SPAN
in the path. e.g. Catalyst 2960 (I suppose).

Stick it outside the 871 and you will see everything
heading across the Internet.

A dedicated switch with SPAN implements the
packet "copying" in hardware and will never run out
of resources.

Supersleuth

thanks for that just a pity

the 871W does offer monitor port function with standard IOS

Looks like i will just have to wait till the next generation of SOHO

cheers