Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Let's just call this group nz.troll

Re: Let's just call this group nz.troll

Gordon

On 2010-02-11, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In the past week, 23 of of 40 new trolls were started by Larry D'Loser.
>
> My god! Have the rest of you no shame?

How about the idea that you give up reading this group?

Donchano

On 11 Feb 2010 04:37:35 GMT, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from
the highest rooftop:

>On 2010-02-11, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In the past week, 23 of of 40 new trolls were started by Larry D'Loser.
>>
>> My god! Have the rest of you no shame?

>How about the idea that you give up reading this group?

Or get a decent newsreader that allows you to automatically ignore all
his posts and any replies to his posts.

Incidentally, I notice that his news service is ihug. Anyone else use
ihug on nz.comp? If not, a decent newsreader like Agent will allow you
to filter using the message ID.

victor

impossible wrote:

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2010-02-11, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> In the past week, 23 of of 40 new trolls were started by Larry D'Loser.
>>>
>>> My god! Have the rest of you no shame?

>> How about the idea that you give up reading this group?

> Ms Penguin would like that. But no, it is my mission in life to tame
> her flock of trolls -- or barring that, to humilate them.

fail

Max Burke

On 15/02/2010 10:02 a.m., victor wrote:
> impossible wrote:
>>

>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> How about the idea that you give up reading this group?

>> Ms Penguin would like that. But no, it is my mission in life to tame
>> her flock of trolls -- or barring that, to humilate them.

> fail

I dunno..

S/he seems to get laughable knee jerk reactions from most of the *nix
users and/or advocates here with every post s/he makes regarding Linux.

I dont know why you all just ignore/killfile her/him.

but hey I'm not telling anyone what to post or anything.
Maybe it's that you all have nothing better to do...

Found Images

victor

Max Burke wrote:
> On 15/02/2010 10:02 a.m., victor wrote:
>> impossible wrote:
>>>

>>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Ms Penguin would like that. But no, it is my mission in life to tame
>>> her flock of trolls -- or barring that, to humilate them.

>> fail

> I dunno..
>
> S/he seems to get laughable knee jerk reactions from most of the *nix
> users and/or advocates here with every post s/he makes regarding Linux.
>
> I dont know why you all just ignore/killfile her/him.
>
> but hey I'm not telling anyone what to post or anything.
> Maybe it's that you all have nothing better to do...

Well welcome to the club Max.
The 2 or 3 participants are pointing out that small variations in the
web counter measurement sample don't correlate his claims. The various
web counters he quoted vary the iphone from 0.48% to 1.0% for example
from 37m sales. So does that mean there are a total of 3.7 billion
computer users ? or 1.7 billion ? or is it a completely useless
extrapolation ? I'd look somewhere else for bait.
The 200 or so software engineers that write the linux kernel aren't
dependent on the 30 million desktop linux users, they work for server
and embedded firmware companies. Desktop linux is just an artifact of
the agreement that allows them to aggregate their work.
I would guess that most linux installations are owner installed.
So there are a couple of demographic changes that may change the
percentage of desktop linux users. One is the trend for home users to
replace their desktop with an of the shelf Windows laptop. The other is
for netbook and notebook manufacturers to offer linux.
Web usage is also changing from websurfing to web 2 which will tilt the
stats according to the subset of users more likely to access pages which
use counters as opposed to blogs forums facebook twitter itunes amazon
ebay trademe wikipedia google news sites etc

victor

impossible wrote:

> When all is said and done, there isn't a shred of evidence that linux
> desktop usage exeeds a relative handful of users. And it's a smaller
> handful today than just a year ago. My theory: crap applicatijns written
> primarily by wannabe or out-of-work devleopers. When someone develops an
> application for the nix platform at a quality level rivaling Adobe
> Phtoshop or Acrobat or Microsoft Office, then linux usage will take off
> -- not until then.

30 million users is a relative handful compared to Windows.
But its not possible to tell from any of the web page counter sources
you quoted whether the number of users has increased or decreased over a
year.
Taking the wiki one as an example it shows small changes in percentages
but that is on top of an increase overall and seasonal variations, its
not possible to extract a signal from the noise
OTOH usage on Ubuntu's repositories is increasing with an estimated user
population at 15m up from 8m in 2008.
My theory: If Adobes entire annual revenue came from Photoshop they
would still have only sold 5 million copies last year.
The availability of Photoshop on Linux at $699 wouldn't have much effect.

victor

impossible wrote:

>> The availability of Photoshop on Linux at $699 wouldn't have much effect.

> Why? Because linux usage is dominated today by freetards with an annual
> software budget of zero? Pardon me for disturbing your niche of
> free-as-in-beer mediocrity. But if Adobe comes knocking on Ubuntu's
> door, I trust that Mark Shuttlesworth won't be that foolish.

Anyone who wants to use Photoshop professionally will get a Mac.
There is scope for Ubuntu to run an "apps store" but thats not what
Shuttleworth seems to have in mind. Thats what Linspire did though, but
yep the Ubuntu crowd likes free beer. mmmmmm beer.
Adobe is too busy scratching at Steve Jobs door at the moment. "Pleez
pleez pleez put Flash on yr iphone os pleeeeeeeeeeeeez !"

Donchano

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:50:57 +1300, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>impossible wrote:
>

>>> The availability of Photoshop on Linux at $699 wouldn't have much effect.

>> Why? Because linux usage is dominated today by freetards with an annual
>> software budget of zero? Pardon me for disturbing your niche of
>> free-as-in-beer mediocrity. But if Adobe comes knocking on Ubuntu's
>> door, I trust that Mark Shuttlesworth won't be that foolish.

>Anyone who wants to use Photoshop professionally will get a Mac.

With respect I have to disagree. I know two people - one a graphic
artist & designer, the other a 3D animator and 3D tutor who teaches
university graduate students - and the both use Photoshop on Windows
platform computers (the later having a computer suite that

Granted, most of their colleagues use Mac. But these two don't and
probably never will.

Donchano

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:41:28 +1300, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:50:57 +1300, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
>from the highest rooftop:

>>> Why? Because linux usage is dominated today by freetards with an annual
>>> software budget of zero? Pardon me for disturbing your niche of
>>> free-as-in-beer mediocrity. But if Adobe comes knocking on Ubuntu's
>>> door, I trust that Mark Shuttlesworth won't be that foolish.

>>Anyone who wants to use Photoshop professionally will get a Mac.

>With respect I have to disagree. I know two people - one a graphic
>artist & designer, the other a 3D animator and 3D tutor who teaches
>university graduate students - and the both use Photoshop on Windows
>platform computers (the later having a computer suite that
>
>Granted, most of their colleagues use Mac. But these two don't and
>probably never will.

Opps .. the later having a production suite that most of us can only
dream of.

Max Burke

On 16/02/2010 11:17 a.m., victor wrote:

>>> fail

>> I dunno..
>> S/he seems to get laughable knee jerk reactions from most of the *nix
>> users and/or advocates here with every post s/he makes regarding Linux.
>> I dont know why you all just ignore/killfile her/him.
>> but hey I'm not telling anyone what to post or anything.
>> Maybe it's that you all have nothing better to do...

> Well welcome to the club Max.

I decided against joining remember. The cost in my recreational time was
just too high for me to become a Linux 'advocate.' It (Ubuntu) just
didn't work for me like Windows XP and Windows 7 does.

General Linux usage is a tiny percentage of general Windows usage .
That's a fact. (of life) and that's hardly likely to change any time soon.

But I digress....

Why do you/anyone bother arguing percentage points at all?????

What's the point? (pun intended) Why waste your time?

--
(E-Mail Removed)

Found Images