Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recommendations for a DVD recorder/player?

Recommendations for a DVD recorder/player?

Donchano

After losing all our saved programmes when our MySky hard drive
malfunctioned I'd like to buy a good, inexpensive DVD recorder to hook
up to our new MySky box so I can backup the recorded data.

So ... any suggestions or recommendations for a good, cheap DVD
recorder/player? TIA

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:21:02 +1300, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>After losing all our saved programmes when our MySky hard drive
>malfunctioned I'd like to buy a good, inexpensive DVD recorder to hook
>up to our new MySky box so I can backup the recorded data.
>
>So ... any suggestions or recommendations for a good, cheap DVD
>recorder/player? TIA

If your PC is within cable distance of your MySky box, you could just
put a tuner card in it (MPEG2 hardware encoder capable) and use that.
You would probably also want to add another 1+ Tbyte hard disk. That
has the advantage of being able to backup your files easily, or even
to record directly to a NAS box if you have one with a gigabit
ethernet connection. Playback requires an accelerated video card and
HDMI cable the other way, which a lot of PC already support. Nvidia
cards were best, last time I looked, but reportedly the competitors
accelerated video drivers have got substantially better since then. If
you need component or S-Video output to your TV, options are rather
more limited.

Richard

Donchano wrote:
> After losing all our saved programmes when our MySky hard drive
> malfunctioned I'd like to buy a good, inexpensive DVD recorder to hook
> up to our new MySky box so I can backup the recorded data.
>
> So ... any suggestions or recommendations for a good, cheap DVD
> recorder/player? TIA

They are not your recorded programs, so what you are asking for is
technically illegal.

But a panasonic would be my choice, seem to be the least break prone.