Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Remember Java Applets?

Reply
Thread Tools

Remember Java Applets?

 
 
cwdjrxyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2010
Flash visual effects have now taken over most moving image effects for
ads, and I am well aware of how many here dislike that use of flash.
However many years ago animated gifs, dhtml, and Java were often used
to make images move for ads. I have not seen a Java applet used for an
annoying ad in many years. For an example of one of the most
elaborate Java applet effects I know, see http://www.cwdjr.net/java/Weather/weather.html
.. You will also see flash used in the code, but this is only for the
audio. The applet can also use audio, but only in an older format for
which I do not have a converter program - mpg and wav will not work in
the applet. This applet, if autostarted, would make an ad that is as
annoying as most modern flash ones. The marquee effect is done with
Java, not with the marquee html tag. The message might read "Had your
roof(or furnace) inspected recently? Call RipOff Inc. for a free
inspection." Java applets will only validate at the W3C in
transitional html or transitional xhtml.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2010
On 10 Feb 2010, cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Flash visual effects have now taken over most moving image effects
> for ads, and I am well aware of how many here dislike that use of
> flash. However many years ago animated gifs, dhtml, and Java were
> often used to make images move for ads. I have not seen a Java applet
> used for an annoying ad in many years. For an example of one of the
> most elaborate Java applet effects I know, see
> http://www.cwdjr.net/java/Weather/weather.html . You will also see
> flash used in the code, but this is only for the audio. The applet
> can also use audio, but only in an older format for which I do not
> have a converter program - mpg and wav will not work in the applet.
> This applet, if autostarted, would make an ad that is as annoying as
> most modern flash ones. The marquee effect is done with Java, not
> with the marquee html tag. The message might read "Had your roof(or
> furnace) inspected recently? Call RipOff Inc. for a free inspection."
> Java applets will only validate at the W3C in transitional html or
> transitional xhtml.


And your point is..?

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
cwdjrxyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2010
On Feb 10, 3:27*pm, Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2010, cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Flash visual effects have now taken over most moving image effects
> > for ads, and I am well aware of how many here dislike that use of
> > flash. However many years ago animated gifs, dhtml, and Java were
> > often used to make images move for ads. I have not seen a Java applet
> > used for an annoying ad *in many years. For an example of one of the
> > most elaborate Java applet effects I know, see
> >http://www.cwdjr.net/java/Weather/weather.html. You will also see
> > flash used in the code, but this is only for the audio. The applet
> > can also *use audio, but only in an older format for which I do not
> > have a converter program - mpg and wav will not work in the applet.
> > This applet, if autostarted, would make an ad that is as annoying as
> > most modern flash ones. The marquee effect is done with Java, not
> > with the marquee html tag. The message might read "Had your roof(or
> > furnace) inspected recently? Call RipOff Inc. for a free inspection."
> > *Java applets will only validate at the W3C in transitional html or
> > transitional xhtml.

>
> And your point is..?


Java is still around, but mainly used for programming purposes such as
on control panels for some servers. Although the use of Java applets
for web pages can still produce elaborate effects for web pages, it
likely is little used anymore, especially by those who write html
pages for profit, because it often requires much more time than flash
and one must know the Java language well. Then it is likely that many
have Java turned off because few web pages require it anymore. Many
years ago you had to have Java enabled to view parts of our local
public library's site, but I can not think of any web page I use much
anymore that requires Java to be on to avoid missing important
content.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2010
On Feb 10, 7:10*pm, cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Flash visual effects have now taken over...

> > And your point is..?

> Java is still around, but...


The reason people started going more with Flash is that is actually
works on everyone's computer. Java's write once play everywhere idea
never really worked. Incompatible versions of java, and missing or
incompatible pieces were always a an issue, backwards compatibility
was almost ignored.

Now with Actionscript and the server scritping of your choice, and
interfaces such as air you have the ability to write client, server,
or combination based applications. Flash is now what Java wanted to
be.

With Adobe integrating all of their applications it makes creating
"fancy" websites even easier. Many of the "fancy Flash" I create for
sites is realy a mixture of video, after effects or blender motion
graphics, and Flash animations.

In conclusion....
It works
It's a powerful application development tool
It's relativly easy to learn
virtually everyone can see it (though some choose not to)
and as developers begin to learn to use actionscript for animations it
can produce some mighty small files.
 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2010

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Feb 10, 7:10 pm, cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Flash visual effects have now taken over...

> > And your point is..?

> Java is still around, but...


The reason people started going more with Flash is that is actually
works on everyone's computer.

Not on mine, it doesn't.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2010
On Feb 14, 7:50*pm, buzzard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > The reason people started going more with Flash is that is actually
> > works on everyone's computer.
> > Not on mine, it doesn't.

> mine either. *I looked at dnlding it, its humongous.


There is a difference between "can't see it" and "decided not to see
it"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2010
On Feb 15, 5:30*pm, buzzard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Travis Newbury wrote:
> > On Feb 14, 7:50 pm, buzzard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>> The reason people started going more with Flash is that is actually
> >>> works on everyone's computer.
> >>> Not on mine, it doesn't.
> >> mine either. *I looked at dnlding it, its humongous.

>
> > There is a difference between "can't see it" and "decided not to see
> > it"

>
> I was not claiming the 2 to be the same, Mr. Non Sequitur


If you weren't then your post makes no sense at all based on the
thread.

Me: "Worked on everyone's machine"
RF: "Not mine"
You: "mine either I looked at dnlding it, its humongous."
Me: "There is a difference...

See RF said it would not work on his computer. Well, based on past
conversations with RF, it is not a matter of IF it works, but he
chooses it NOT to work. Then you joined in and said it did not work
on your machine either. Then you commented that it was humongous.
Well I had to decide if you meant Flash objects, or Flash the
application.

If you meant Flash objects, then I addressed that earlier stating a
GOOD flash developer (the minority) creates small flash objects. If
you were talking about the application then, WTF, of course it was
HUMONGOUS it is a sophisticated development and testing environment.
If it is too big to download, then by the DVD to install it.

No matter which direction your mind was headed, my answer that "can
not" and "decided not to" are two different things still stands as a
valid statement.
 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2010

"buzzard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) p...
> Travis Newbury wrote:
>> (snip)
>> See RF said it would not work on his computer. Well, based on past
>> conversations with RF, it is not a matter of IF it works, but he

> I didn't read the past conversations with RF


What Travis is complaining about is that I have flashblock installed, so
flash does not work on my computer unless I specifically request it, and
that's not often.

Flash does not work on my computer because I have exercised a choice.

It sounds like flash also does not wook on your computer because you, too,
have exercised a choice, that of not dnlding a humongous file.

Be it because our browsers do not support flash, flash is not installed,
flash is blocked, flash is too bloody big to download, the reason is
immaterial. The bottom line is that flash does not work on our computers.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2010
On Feb 16, 8:21*pm, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "buzzard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) p...
>
> > Travis Newbury wrote:
> >> (snip)
> >> See RF said it would not work on his computer. *Well, based on past
> >> conversations with RF, it is not a matter of IF it works, but he

> > I didn't read the past conversations with RF

>
> What Travis is complaining about is that I have flashblock installed, so
> flash does not work on my computer unless I specifically request it, and
> that's not often.
>
> Flash does not work on my computer because I have exercised a choice.
>
> It sounds like flash also does not wook on your computer because you, too,
> have exercised a choice, that of not dnlding a humongous file.
>
> Be it because our browsers do not support flash, flash is not installed,
> flash is blocked, flash is too bloody big to download, the reason is
> immaterial. The bottom line is that flash does not work on our computers.


No, it does work, you have chosen not to view it. But if there was a
website that you absolutely HAD to go to, and there was no
alternative, then you can turn it on, and see flash. So flash works on
your machine, you have simply chosen not to view it. And that is
fine. I to have Flashblock installed and use it regularly to block
most ads, but if I run into a site I have to (want to) see Flash on,
say, youtube, or virtually ALL video sites, not to mention virtually
all porn sites.. Then I, just like you, can easily turn it on. So it
is not a matter of IF it runs, but if you LET it run.

Anyway, my point was that one of the reasons it is so much more
popular than java is it runs on everyone's machine. And you choosing
to not run it on your machine is irrelevant to my point.
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I encountered a Java-required
> site. Certainly not one I really cared about.


When I get worried I might have made a copying or other error in
a Sudoku, I can check to see it is solvable at:

<http://sudoku.sourceforge.net/>

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LoginCtl Remember Me Checkbox -> How to keep it checked and remember user? Frank Miverk ASP .Net 0 04-18-2007 08:13 PM
How to get Mozilla to "remember" all URLs for auto-complete Jim Firefox 1 10-08-2005 03:17 PM
Getting FF 1.01 to remember ALL ID's/passwords Dan Firefox 3 04-26-2005 12:51 AM
Remember Questions 70-290?? Eduardo Escudero MCSE 5 05-13-2004 02:34 PM
TB 0.2 - Not remember passwords Axl Firefox 6 09-28-2003 11:38 PM



Advertisments