Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Viewing a folder alphabetically...

Viewing a folder alphabetically...

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

Hi guys! In past versions of windows, if I set a folder view alphabetically,
it broke the files down by individual letters of the alphabet. I have done
this in Windows 7, but instead, it's listing them in an A-H, I-P and Q-Z
format. But what I really need is a breakdown by individual letters. Is this
possible in Windows 7? I checked my copy of "Windows 7 Inside Out" but no
joy there.

Thanks in advance!

Carmen

R. C. White

Hi, Carmen.

In Windows Explorer, click View, then on the drop-down menu, click Group
by..

In the 20 or so that years I've been using Windows - since version 1.0 - I
don't recall ever having seen files grouped into all A's, all B's, etc.
Were you perhaps using a third-party add-on?

Did I forget something? (Quite possible. <g> )

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys! In past versions of windows, if I set a folder view
> alphabetically, it broke the files down by individual letters of the
> alphabet. I have done this in Windows 7, but instead, it's listing them in
> an A-H, I-P and Q-Z format. But what I really need is a breakdown by
> individual letters. Is this possible in Windows 7? I checked my copy of
> "Windows 7 Inside Out" but no joy there.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Carmen

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

Hey RC... thanks. No I wasn't using a utility that I know of... but since
you bring it up, I'll go check out my husband's computer (he still has XP)
just to see...

C.

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Carmen.
>
> In Windows Explorer, click View, then on the drop-down menu, click Group
> by..
>
> In the 20 or so that years I've been using Windows - since version 1.0 - I
> don't recall ever having seen files grouped into all A's, all B's, etc.
> Were you perhaps using a third-party add-on?
>
> Did I forget something? (Quite possible. <g> )
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi guys! In past versions of windows, if I set a folder view
>> alphabetically, it broke the files down by individual letters of the
>> alphabet. I have done this in Windows 7, but instead, it's listing them
>> in an A-H, I-P and Q-Z format. But what I really need is a breakdown by
>> individual letters. Is this possible in Windows 7? I checked my copy of
>> "Windows 7 Inside Out" but no joy there.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Carmen

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

hey, I checked the husband's computer (WIN XP) and it does breaks it down by
individual letter, but Windows 7 breaks it down by letter grouping.

So any ideas as to whether I can change this?

C.