Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Brain Dead Reformatting

Brain Dead Reformatting

Lloyd Sheen

I know I have seen a way to stop the terrible reformatting that VS 2003 IDE
does. Beyond that is MS going to do a better (could not do a worse) job of
auto formatting.

Every change I make to the format of the page causes reformatting which
totally gets rid of the idea that controls are nested and have some
structure.

Please help

Lloyd Sheen

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

"Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsnxQb.118986$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com:
> I know I have seen a way to stop the terrible reformatting that VS 2003 IDE
> does. Beyond that is MS going to do a better (could not do a worse) job of
> auto formatting.

Its in the options. Just turn it off.

Lloyd Sheen

I have turned off the option that says when you switch views reformat. This
seems to nothing. Refomatting happens anyway. And the reformatting is
beyond belief.

Lloyd Sheen

"Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> newsnxQb.118986$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com:
> > I know I have seen a way to stop the terrible reformatting that VS 2003

IDE
> > does. Beyond that is MS going to do a better (could not do a worse) job

of
> > auto formatting.

> Its in the options. Just turn it off.
>

> --
> Chad Z. Hower (a.k.a. Kudzu) - http://www.hower.org/Kudzu/
> "Programming is an art form that fights back"

Showjumper

Is this reformatting occuring when you switch from design to code view?
Afraid even with the format options off that it will still occur. Good news
is that it is fixed in the next version of vs.
"Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tJxQb.119383$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> I have turned off the option that says when you switch views reformat.

This
> seems to nothing. Refomatting happens anyway. And the reformatting is
> beyond belief.
>
> Lloyd Sheen
>
> "Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > "Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > newsnxQb.118986$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com:
> > > I know I have seen a way to stop the terrible reformatting that VS

2003
> IDE
> > > does. Beyond that is MS going to do a better (could not do a worse)

job
> of
> > > auto formatting.

> > Its in the options. Just turn it off.
> >

> > --
> > Chad Z. Hower (a.k.a. Kudzu) - http://www.hower.org/Kudzu/
> > "Programming is an art form that fights back"

Brian W

This problem has been addressed in countless threads, both in this NG and
many others.

Yes it does SUCK and MS does know about it.

Bottom line, is they aren't going to fix this anytime soon. And that SUCKS
too!

Will it be fixed for the Whidbey release? Your guess is as good as mine. (I
vote NOT) this problems has been around for a long time, if you check the
archives you'll see that people were bitching about this a long time ago on
FrontPage.

And no, switching it off in options does not work.

The easiest thing to do is to use Ctrl+Z (undo) 1 or more times after
switching to code view from design view, this should restore your
formatting.

I feel your pain brother!

Best of luck
Brian W

"Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsnxQb.118986$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> I know I have seen a way to stop the terrible reformatting that VS 2003

IDE
> does. Beyond that is MS going to do a better (could not do a worse) job

of
> auto formatting.
>
> Every change I make to the format of the page causes reformatting which
> totally gets rid of the idea that controls are nested and have some
> structure.
>
> Please help
>
> Lloyd Sheen

Lloyd Sheen

I absolutely hate this IDE. For a product that has a long previous life, it
seems the developers of VS 2003 did not learn from pevious iterations.

Buttons on toolbars go missing, things like Index Help just sit there. I
have had to exit the IDE more times than should be necessary just to get the
IDE back to functional.

Lloyd Sheen

"Brian W" <brianw@gold_death_2_spam_rush.com> wrote in message
news:OqE$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This problem has been addressed in countless threads, both in this NG and
> many others.
>
> Yes it does SUCK and MS does know about it.
>
> Bottom line, is they aren't going to fix this anytime soon. And that SUCKS
> too!
>
> Will it be fixed for the Whidbey release? Your guess is as good as mine.

(I
> vote NOT) this problems has been around for a long time, if you check the
> archives you'll see that people were bitching about this a long time ago

on
> FrontPage.
>
> And no, switching it off in options does not work.
>
> The easiest thing to do is to use Ctrl+Z (undo) 1 or more times after
> switching to code view from design view, this should restore your
> formatting.
>
> I feel your pain brother!
>

> Best of luck
> Brian W
>

> "Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> newsnxQb.118986$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> > I know I have seen a way to stop the terrible reformatting that VS 2003

> IDE
> > does. Beyond that is MS going to do a better (could not do a worse) job

> of
> > auto formatting.
> >
> > Every change I make to the format of the page causes reformatting which
> > totally gets rid of the idea that controls are nested and have some
> > structure.
> >
> > Please help
> >
> > Lloyd Sheen

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

"Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:HtzQb.121624$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com:
> I absolutely hate this IDE. For a product that has a long previous

You should try writing custom designers and plugins to truly "appreciate" it.

> life, it seems the developers of VS 2003 did not learn from pevious
> iterations.

Well they learned some. But here is hoping they can learn some more in future
releases.

Lloyd Sheen

And the latest one, since I don't want to restart I have been doing things
in the command window. Now I want to go back to it to get those little
pieces of good code and voila it's not available when the app is not being
debugged. This worked in classic VS. MS get it right. Use some developers
as QA.

> "Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:HtzQb.121624$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com:
> > I absolutely hate this IDE. For a product that has a long previous

> You should try writing custom designers and plugins to truly "appreciate"

it.

> > life, it seems the developers of VS 2003 did not learn from pevious
> > iterations.

> Well they learned some. But here is hoping they can learn some more in

future
> releases.
>

> --
> Chad Z. Hower (a.k.a. Kudzu) - http://www.hower.org/Kudzu/
> "Programming is an art form that fights back"

left brain and right brain permutations pataphor Python 0 06-14-2009 07:14 PM
Preallocate? -- potentially brain dead question about performance Jan Danielsson Python 3 02-27-2007 10:53 AM
can I have brain dead security? codefragment@googlemail.com ASP .Net 2 04-24-2006 05:45 PM
Brain Dead Singleton Kamilche Python 10 06-08-2004 08:07 AM
xtra - apalling service + brain dead help desk = catastrophic failure Warwick NZ Computing 73 10-22-2003 11:51 AM

Advertisments