Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Using Fractions in Windows 7 Calculator

Using Fractions in Windows 7 Calculator

Nathan Sokalski

When using the Windows 7 Calculator in Scientific mode, how can I make it
display the answer as a fraction? If I remember correctly, the calculator in
previous versions of Windows allowed you to view the answer as a fraction,
and I have never in my life seen a scientific calculator that doesn't let
you use fractions. Am I missing something, or are fractions just not yet a
feature of the Windows 7 Calculator? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Robert Aldwinckle

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When using the Windows 7 Calculator in Scientific mode, how can I make it
> display the answer as a fraction? If I remember correctly, the calculator
> in previous versions of Windows allowed you to view the answer as a
> fraction, and I have never in my life seen a scientific calculator that
> doesn't let you use fractions. Am I missing something, or are fractions
> just not yet a feature of the Windows 7 Calculator? Thanks.

Are you sure you aren't in the Programmer mode instead? (Alt-3).
In Scientific mode (Alt-2)) I just typed 3 and clicked on the 1/x button
to get 0.33333333333333333333333333333333
Looks like a third to me. ; )

Nathan Sokalski

Do you know the difference between a fraction and decimal? Your value,
0.33333333333333333333333333333333, is equal to
33333333333333333333333333333333/100000000000000000000000000000000, NOT 1/3.
I am looking to get a value equal to 1/3. These two values may be
approximately the same, but there are two main reasons to need or want to
have answers displayed as fractions. First, there is precision. For example,
if a fraction has a large numerator and/or denominator or when doing actual
calculations with the fractions, keeping it in fraction form may be
necessary to get the correct answer. Second, there is convenience and
preference. For example, when working with certain units (such as inches),
you normally write the value as 5/32 rather than 0.15625. Yes, you are
correct that if I saw the value 0.33333333333333333333333333333333
displayed, I would ASSUME that the answer was 1/3, but that is simply an
assumption, I don't actually KNOW that that was what the answer really
should have been. Fractions are usually one of the most frequently used
features of scientific calculators, and like I said in my original post, I
have never in my life seen a scientific calculator that does not support
them (until now!).
--
Nathan Sokalski
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

"Robert Aldwinckle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When using the Windows 7 Calculator in Scientific mode, how can I make it
>> display the answer as a fraction? If I remember correctly, the calculator
>> in previous versions of Windows allowed you to view the answer as a
>> fraction, and I have never in my life seen a scientific calculator that
>> doesn't let you use fractions. Am I missing something, or are fractions
>> just not yet a feature of the Windows 7 Calculator? Thanks.

> Are you sure you aren't in the Programmer mode instead? (Alt-3).
> In Scientific mode (Alt-2)) I just typed 3 and clicked on the 1/x
> button
> to get 0.33333333333333333333333333333333
> Looks like a third to me. ; )

Steve Foster

Nathan Sokalski wrote:

>When using the Windows 7 Calculator in Scientific mode, how can I make it
>display the answer as a fraction? If I remember correctly, the calculator
>in previous versions of Windows allowed you to view the answer as a
>fraction, and I have never in my life seen a scientific calculator that
>doesn't let you use fractions. Am I missing something, or are fractions
>just not yet a feature of the Windows 7 Calculator? Thanks.

I think you're mistaken in your belief that the Windows Calculator has
ever shown fractions.

I don't see anything in it in XP, Vista or W7 that would enable fractions.

I don't regard Calculator programs as "scientific calculators" (those are
small devices commonly purchased by students).

--
Steve Foster
------------

Nathan Sokalski

You may be right that XP and Vista didn't have fractions (I don't always
remember correctly), but the Windows 7 Calculator is definitely SUPPOSED to
be regarded as a scientific calculator. If you look at the options under the
View menu, one of the choices is "Scientific". As far as I can tell, it has
all the basic features of a scientific calculator other than fractions,
which in my mind is the most important feature of scientific calculators.
You would think that if they are willing to add all the features and modes
that they did, they would think to add fractions.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

"Steve Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
>
>>When using the Windows 7 Calculator in Scientific mode, how can I make it
>>display the answer as a fraction? If I remember correctly, the calculator
>>in previous versions of Windows allowed you to view the answer as a
>>fraction, and I have never in my life seen a scientific calculator that
>>doesn't let you use fractions. Am I missing something, or are fractions
>>just not yet a feature of the Windows 7 Calculator? Thanks.

> I think you're mistaken in your belief that the Windows Calculator has
> ever shown fractions.
>
> I don't see anything in it in XP, Vista or W7 that would enable fractions.
>
> I don't regard Calculator programs as "scientific calculators" (those are
> small devices commonly purchased by students).
>
> --
> Steve Foster
> ------------
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
> https://netshop.virtual-isp.net

Antares 531

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:00:53 -0500, "Nathan Sokalski"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You may be right that XP and Vista didn't have fractions (I don't always
>remember correctly), but the Windows 7 Calculator is definitely SUPPOSED to
>be regarded as a scientific calculator. If you look at the options under the
>View menu, one of the choices is "Scientific". As far as I can tell, it has
>all the basic features of a scientific calculator other than fractions,
>which in my mind is the most important feature of scientific calculators.
>You would think that if they are willing to add all the features and modes
>that they did, they would think to add fractions.

MS Word, Excel and some of the other applications will let you type in
fractions, and will do the calculations accordingly. Maybe this is
what you were thinking about. Gordon

Carlos

Nathan,
Why is it that you need the Calculator to display numbers in a quotient
fashion?
I've been an engineer for over 30 years and never had a need for it.
Maybe I've missed something.

Carlos
P.S.: not trying to argue, uh?

"Nathan Sokalski" wrote:

> You may be right that XP and Vista didn't have fractions (I don't always
> remember correctly), but the Windows 7 Calculator is definitely SUPPOSED to
> be regarded as a scientific calculator. If you look at the options under the
> View menu, one of the choices is "Scientific". As far as I can tell, it has
> all the basic features of a scientific calculator other than fractions,
> which in my mind is the most important feature of scientific calculators.
> You would think that if they are willing to add all the features and modes
> that they did, they would think to add fractions.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>
> "Steve Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Nathan Sokalski wrote:
> >
> >>When using the Windows 7 Calculator in Scientific mode, how can I make it
> >>display the answer as a fraction? If I remember correctly, the calculator
> >>in previous versions of Windows allowed you to view the answer as a
> >>fraction, and I have never in my life seen a scientific calculator that
> >>doesn't let you use fractions. Am I missing something, or are fractions
> >>just not yet a feature of the Windows 7 Calculator? Thanks.

> > I think you're mistaken in your belief that the Windows Calculator has
> > ever shown fractions.
> >
> > I don't see anything in it in XP, Vista or W7 that would enable fractions.
> >
> > I don't regard Calculator programs as "scientific calculators" (those are
> > small devices commonly purchased by students).
> >
> > --
> > Steve Foster
> > ------------
> > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> > For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
> > https://netshop.virtual-isp.net

Nathan Sokalski

I don't actually have a specific "need" for it, I just find it very
surprising that it is not there. And I figure that if somebody wants to use
their computer do stuff where they need some of the other functions on the
Scientific mode, they would probably want to be able to do fractions, too.
In fact, I think that the average person would be more likely to use
fractions than some of the other functions. That may be different for
engineers like you or people in other specific fields, but I think if you
asked the average person which one they would rather have (for those people
that even care about the Calculator at all), more people would say fractions
than anything else. But I haven't done a study or gathered statistics, so I
guess I can't say anything for a fact except that it doesn't have fractions
now, that I wish it did, and that I think it should.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nathan,
> Why is it that you need the Calculator to display numbers in a quotient
> fashion?
> I've been an engineer for over 30 years and never had a need for it.
> Maybe I've missed something.
>
> Carlos
> P.S.: not trying to argue, uh?
>
> "Nathan Sokalski" wrote:
>
>> You may be right that XP and Vista didn't have fractions (I don't always
>> remember correctly), but the Windows 7 Calculator is definitely SUPPOSED
>> be regarded as a scientific calculator. If you look at the options under
>> the
>> View menu, one of the choices is "Scientific". As far as I can tell, it
>> has
>> all the basic features of a scientific calculator other than fractions,
>> which in my mind is the most important feature of scientific calculators.
>> You would think that if they are willing to add all the features and
>> modes
>> that they did, they would think to add fractions.
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>>
>> "Steve Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > I think you're mistaken in your belief that the Windows Calculator has
>> > ever shown fractions.
>> >
>> > I don't see anything in it in XP, Vista or W7 that would enable
>> > fractions.
>> >
>> > I don't regard Calculator programs as "scientific calculators" (those
>> > are
>> > small devices commonly purchased by students).
>> >
>> > --
>> > Steve Foster
>> > ------------
>> > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
>> > For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
>> > https://netshop.virtual-isp.net

Robert Aldwinckle

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...

> What scientific calculators have you seen fractions in? I've never seen
> one; I've only seen them in student calculators and ones that can work
> symbolically.

Ironically the next thread that my newsreader lists is
Subject: Install Equation Editor on Toolbar
which might have had an answer for this one but has been deemed
"off topic" for this newsgroup. <eg>

---

Bobby Johnson

Probably because it was strictly a question related to MS Word and is
not an operating system related subject.

On 2010-02-11 10:17, Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>
>> What scientific calculators have you seen fractions in? I've never seen
>> one; I've only seen them in student calculators and ones that can work
>> symbolically.

> Ironically the next thread that my newsreader lists is
> Subject: Install Equation Editor on Toolbar
> which might have had an answer for this one but has been deemed
> "off topic" for this newsgroup. <eg>
>

> ---

Font with fractions JP Computer Support 3 02-08-2009 02:15 PM
Using fractions instead of floats andresj Python 37 10-04-2007 11:20 PM
XSL-FO...Fractions? Lee Jackson XML 3 12-17-2004 12:18 PM
Decimal places and huge fractions. Eoin Mcloughlin Perl 5 02-13-2004 08:33 PM
Adding two fractions karp C++ 2 11-22-2003 06:47 AM

Advertisments