Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Break time! trivia stuff you just need to know

Break time! trivia stuff you just need to know

richard

Or
A true case of the cart before the horse.

When was the first gas pump put in service?
100 points for the correct answer.
An additional 100 points for the city.

The year was 1885 and the city was Fort Wayne, In.

Oh but wait. There's a little glitch in this. Exactly who were his
customers? The first gas powered tractor didn't roll until 1892.
And Charles Duryea didn't get a patent for his automobile until 1895.

Whiskers

On 2010-02-09, Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 23:36:57 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Or
>>A true case of the cart before the horse.
>>

>>When was the first gas pump put in service?
>>100 points for the correct answer.
>>An additional 100 points for the city.
>>

>>The year was 1885 and the city was Fort Wayne, In.
>>

>>Oh but wait. There's a little glitch in this. Exactly who were his
>>customers?

> People who used gas powered stoves or gas powered lanterns.
>
> Old issues of Wired finally making their way to your motel?
>
> http://www.wired.com/science/discove...dayintech_0905

Ah, the good old days! I can remember when hardware shops had a large
tank of paraffin [kerosene] 'in the yard' with a tap [faucet] for
delivering fuel into the customer's own container. A few filling stations
had a pump on the forecourt to deliver paraffin in the same way as the
petrol [gasolene] and diesel. (Some had special pumps for 2-stroke
'petroil' mixture too, or a seperate oil dispenser).

In large towns there were even door-to-door deliveries of paraffin, using
vans or pick-ups with a tank on the back (my parents can remember when
horse-drawn carts were used for this). These deliveries survived well
into the television age - I can still (almost) remember the jingles for
'Esso Blue' and 'Aladdin Pink', the two big national brands.

Many people relied on paraffin for room heating; it was quite effective,
and cheaper than gas or electricity, and somewhat cleaner and easier than
coal or coke or wood. In fact, I still have a portable paraffin heater of
1970s vintage, although I haven't used it for years.

Petrol wasn't a common fuel other than for cars and 'pocket lighters' in
the UK, in my memory, but I believe it was often used 'on the continent'
for lamps and cooking-stoves. Some outdoorsy types still use it in
'back-packing stoves'. Its flammability and smell put many people off
using it for such things.

It was the wide availability of petrol as a cheap by-product (almost a
waste product) of oil refining that encouraged early motor-car makers to
use it.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Aardvark

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:30:58 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

> I can still (almost) remember the jingles for
> 'Esso Blue'

Boom, boom, boom, boom- Esso Blue!

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

Aardvark

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:38:52 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:21:25 GMT, Aardvark
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:

>>> Boom, boom, boom, boom- Esso Blue!
>>>

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRbmfLVoWo

> You won!

How anyone can mis-hear that to think it's 'dum, dum, dum, dum' is beyond
me.

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

joevan

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 09:33:22 -0500, Meat Plow <.> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:21:25 GMT, Aardvark
><(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:30:58 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
>>
>>> I can still (almost) remember the jingles for
>>> 'Esso Blue'

>>Boom, boom, boom, boom- Esso Blue!
>>

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRbmfLVoWo

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tK6...1&feature=fvwp

chuckcar

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 23:36:57 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Or
>>A true case of the cart before the horse.
>>

>>When was the first gas pump put in service?
>>100 points for the correct answer.
>>An additional 100 points for the city.
>>

>>The year was 1885 and the city was Fort Wayne, In.
>>

>>Oh but wait. There's a little glitch in this. Exactly who were his
>>customers?

> People who used gas powered stoves or gas powered lanterns.

You mean propane and/or kerosene? neither of which have anything to do with
gasoline. The former was only used long after gasoline was common and the
later is still used but was way before gasoline.

Gasoline was used for molotov cocktails and to kill lice well before it
was used as engine fuel. Kerosene doesn't work as well as gasoline in internal
combusion engines because it's less volatile. Propane has the disadvantage of
giving off a rotten egg smell added to help control leaks.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Whiskers

On 2010-02-09, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:30:58 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
>
>> I can still (almost) remember the jingles for
>> 'Esso Blue'

> Boom, boom, boom, boom- Esso Blue!

Ah, yes, they don't make 'em like that any more!

--
-- Whiskers