Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Network problem.

Network problem.

Vampire13

I just recently did the upgrade to W7 from VISTA Home Premium 64Bit for
the second time. The first time, I had issues with Start up and with a
very slow boot which I was unable to resolve. The result was a need to
restore the machine to the original factory setup using the HP restore
disks. Quite the pain since everything needed to be updated, Windows as
well as HP.

This is an HP Pavilion KY811AA-ABA e9120y with 8 gigs ram and plenty of
hd space. I redid the upgrade according to HP's Upgrade Adviser disks
and things seemed to go much better than the first upgrade. BTW, the W7
upgrade disks were provided free by HP so I did not attempt a clean
install. That said, the only major problem I have is that my system will
not remember the information needed to sign on to the Network and the
Internet.

I need to enter the password each time in order to go on line and even
though the "remember" box is always checked, the information is not
remembered. And, if there is extended idle time, I am disconnected
without warning. I did not have this problem prior to the upgrade. I
wonder if one of you might have some suggestions on how to fix this.

I did search Windows knowledge base without any success and some other
sites that had related information but it all applied to earlier
versions of Windows. I took a look at my system but files and registry
fixes mentioned do not appear in W7. Sorry I don't remember the info,
kind of like my network problem. Thanks in advance for any aid you can
provide.

James Kosin

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Connection Manager if
installed. HP recently revised it's bulletins and the Connection
Manager and the HP QuickLaunch Buttons applications cause problems with
the upgrade process.

James

On 2/8/2010 6:59 PM, Vampire13 wrote:
> I just recently did the upgrade to W7 from VISTA Home Premium 64Bit for
> the second time. The first time, I had issues with Start up and with a
> very slow boot which I was unable to resolve. The result was a need to
> restore the machine to the original factory setup using the HP restore
> disks. Quite the pain since everything needed to be updated, Windows as
> well as HP.
>
> This is an HP Pavilion KY811AA-ABA e9120y with 8 gigs ram and plenty of
> hd space. I redid the upgrade according to HP's Upgrade Adviser disks
> and things seemed to go much better than the first upgrade. BTW, the W7
> upgrade disks were provided free by HP so I did not attempt a clean
> install. That said, the only major problem I have is that my system will
> not remember the information needed to sign on to the Network and the
> Internet.
>
> I need to enter the password each time in order to go on line and even
> though the "remember" box is always checked, the information is not
> remembered. And, if there is extended idle time, I am disconnected
> without warning. I did not have this problem prior to the upgrade. I
> wonder if one of you might have some suggestions on how to fix this.
>
> I did search Windows knowledge base without any success and some other
> sites that had related information but it all applied to earlier
> versions of Windows. I took a look at my system but files and registry
> fixes mentioned do not appear in W7. Sorry I don't remember the info,
> kind of like my network problem. Thanks in advance for any aid you can
> provide.

Vampire13

Thanks James, unfortunately I cannot find any evidence that the
"Connection Manager" is present on my machine. I'll check their web site
to see if there is any reference to the application for W7.

Ed

James Kosin wrote:
> Try uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Connection Manager if
> installed. HP recently revised it's bulletins and the Connection
> Manager and the HP QuickLaunch Buttons applications cause problems with
> the upgrade process.
>
> James
>
> On 2/8/2010 6:59 PM, Vampire13 wrote:
>> I just recently did the upgrade to W7 from VISTA Home Premium 64Bit for
>> the second time. The first time, I had issues with Start up and with a
>> very slow boot which I was unable to resolve. The result was a need to
>> restore the machine to the original factory setup using the HP restore
>> disks. Quite the pain since everything needed to be updated, Windows as
>> well as HP.
>>
>> This is an HP Pavilion KY811AA-ABA e9120y with 8 gigs ram and plenty of
>> hd space. I redid the upgrade according to HP's Upgrade Adviser disks
>> and things seemed to go much better than the first upgrade. BTW, the W7
>> upgrade disks were provided free by HP so I did not attempt a clean
>> install. That said, the only major problem I have is that my system will
>> not remember the information needed to sign on to the Network and the
>> Internet.
>>
>> I need to enter the password each time in order to go on line and even
>> though the "remember" box is always checked, the information is not
>> remembered. And, if there is extended idle time, I am disconnected
>> without warning. I did not have this problem prior to the upgrade. I
>> wonder if one of you might have some suggestions on how to fix this.
>>
>> I did search Windows knowledge base without any success and some other
>> sites that had related information but it all applied to earlier
>> versions of Windows. I took a look at my system but files and registry
>> fixes mentioned do not appear in W7. Sorry I don't remember the info,
>> kind of like my network problem. Thanks in advance for any aid you can
>> provide.

James Kosin

On 2/9/2010 1:28 AM, Vampire13 wrote:
> Thanks James, unfortunately I cannot find any evidence that the
> "Connection Manager" is present on my machine. I'll check their web site
> to see if there is any reference to the application for W7.
>
> Ed
>

> James Kosin wrote:
>> Try uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Connection Manager if
>> installed. HP recently revised it's bulletins and the Connection
>> Manager and the HP QuickLaunch Buttons applications cause problems with
>> the upgrade process.
>>
>> James

Ed,

First, sorry about the confusion. Thought you were talking about a laptop.
Did you remember to unplug the network when you upgraded?

NOTE: If you are using the HP Upgrade Assistant DVD, after successfully
upgrading to Windows 7, do not connect to the Internet. Unplug the LAN
cable, do not set up your wireless LAN, and do not connect to the
Internet using a modem. Connect to the Internet only after you have
completed Phase 3: Post Install by running the HPUA icon on the desktop
and have restarted your computer. This is necessary to prevent driver
and software update conflicts that can arise between the HP Upgrade
Assistant DVD, Windows Update and HP Update.

Vampire13

James Kosin wrote:
> On 2/9/2010 1:28 AM, Vampire13 wrote:
>> Thanks James, unfortunately I cannot find any evidence that the
>> "Connection Manager" is present on my machine. I'll check their web site
>> to see if there is any reference to the application for W7.
>>
>> Ed
>>

>> James Kosin wrote:
>>> Try uninstalling and reinstalling the HP Connection Manager if
>>> installed. HP recently revised it's bulletins and the Connection
>>> Manager and the HP QuickLaunch Buttons applications cause problems with
>>> the upgrade process.
>>>
>>> James
>>>

> Ed,
>
> First, sorry about the confusion. Thought you were talking about a laptop.
> Did you remember to unplug the network when you upgraded?
>

> NOTE: If you are using the HP Upgrade Assistant DVD, after successfully
> upgrading to Windows 7, do not connect to the Internet. Unplug the LAN
> cable, do not set up your wireless LAN, and do not connect to the
> Internet using a modem. Connect to the Internet only after you have
> completed Phase 3: Post Install by running the HPUA icon on the desktop
> and have restarted your computer. This is necessary to prevent driver
> and software update conflicts that can arise between the HP Upgrade
> Assistant DVD, Windows Update and HP Update.

James:

I did follow the script in Part 3: Post Installation. The instructions
only mention disconnecting the LAN (wired) cable if present. This
machine is wireless and as far as I can tell did not access the Network
during the wrap up. There was no task bar indication that the Network
was active.

Ed

James Kosin

On 2/9/2010 1:50 PM, Vampire13 wrote:

> James:
>
> I did follow the script in Part 3: Post Installation. The instructions
> only mention disconnecting the LAN (wired) cable if present. This
> machine is wireless and as far as I can tell did not access the Network
> during the wrap up. There was no task bar indication that the Network
> was active.
>
> Ed

Ed,

You may want to touch base with HP on this issue. They may already know
about it; or check the HP forums.

Try this one:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSm...ght/true#M2799

James

Vampire13

James Kosin wrote:
> On 2/9/2010 1:50 PM, Vampire13 wrote:
>>
>> James:
>>
>> I did follow the script in Part 3: Post Installation. The instructions
>> only mention disconnecting the LAN (wired) cable if present. This
>> machine is wireless and as far as I can tell did not access the Network
>> during the wrap up. There was no task bar indication that the Network
>> was active.
>>
>> Ed

> Ed,
>
> You may want to touch base with HP on this issue. They may already know
> about it; or check the HP forums.
>
> Try this one:
> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSm...ght/true#M2799
>
> James

James:

Thanks, the wired machine is my sons. he currently works away from home
and will be here on Friday. I'll work this fix with him and let you know
if it works. Remember, I can connect I just need to enter the password
every time. The solution seems to indicate the OP could not connect
unless he changed his security setup. Close, but not quite the same
problem. I appreciate your efforts since I am not very good at handling
forum searches.

Ed