Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > ODBC for 32 bit app in XP x64

ODBC for 32 bit app in XP x64

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

Google shows that many users have problems with 32 bit ODBC apps in XP x64.

Standard advice is to run odbcad32.exe from folder syswow64.

My experience is that it declines to ADD .mdb components, but seems to
successfully add .sql components, until I "Test Connection", when it fails.

The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver specified."

Any suggestions?

Steve Foster

>Google shows that many users have problems with 32 bit ODBC apps in XP x64.
>
>Standard advice is to run odbcad32.exe from folder syswow64.
>
>My experience is that it declines to ADD .mdb components, but seems to
>successfully add .sql components, until I "Test Connection", when it fails.

There are no components to add - all the common drivers are preinstalled
with Windows, at least in 32-bit form, anyway. 64-bit ODBC drivers, OTOH,
are rather thin on the ground (there's SQL, and that's it OOB).

>The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver
>specified."
>
>Any suggestions?

I'd create one set of 32-bit ODBC data sources, using the 32-bit ODBC
Administrator (in Windows\SysWOW64), and a differently-named set of 64-bit
sources, using the "stock" ODBC Administrator (ie from Administrative
Tools).

And see which set the application sees.

--
Steve Foster
------------

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Steve Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>Google shows that many users have problems with 32 bit ODBC apps in XP x64.
>>
>>Standard advice is to run odbcad32.exe from folder syswow64.
>>
>>My experience is that it declines to ADD .mdb components, but seems to
>>successfully add .sql components, until I "Test Connection", when it fails.

>There are no components to add - all the common drivers are preinstalled
>with Windows, at least in 32-bit form, anyway. 64-bit ODBC drivers, OTOH,
>are rather thin on the ground (there's SQL, and that's it OOB).
>

>>The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver
>>specified."
>>
>>Any suggestions?

>I'd create one set of 32-bit ODBC data sources, using the 32-bit ODBC
>Administrator (in Windows\SysWOW64), and a differently-named set of 64-bit
>sources, using the "stock" ODBC Administrator (ie from Administrative
>Tools).
>
>And see which set the application sees.

Alas, neither. The app is supposed to work out of the box without me
administering ODBC, but it does not and that is why I am looking at error
messages.

Steve Foster

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>In <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Steve Foster"
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>Google shows that many users have problems with 32 bit ODBC apps in XP
>>>x64.
>>>
>>>Standard advice is to run odbcad32.exe from folder syswow64.
>>>
>>>My experience is that it declines to ADD .mdb components, but seems to
>>>successfully add .sql components, until I "Test Connection", when it
>>>fails.

>>There are no components to add - all the common drivers are preinstalled
>>with Windows, at least in 32-bit form, anyway. 64-bit ODBC drivers, OTOH,
>>are rather thin on the ground (there's SQL, and that's it OOB).
>>

>>>The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver
>>>specified."
>>>
>>>Any suggestions?

>>I'd create one set of 32-bit ODBC data sources, using the 32-bit ODBC
>>Administrator (in Windows\SysWOW64), and a differently-named set of 64-bit
>>sources, using the "stock" ODBC Administrator (ie from Administrative
>>Tools).
>>
>>And see which set the application sees.

>Alas, neither. The app is supposed to work out of the box without me
>administering ODBC, but it does not and that is why I am looking at error
>messages.

Try creating them as System DSNs, not User DSNs.

--
Steve Foster
------------
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Steve Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>In <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Steve Foster"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>>There are no components to add - all the common drivers are preinstalled
>>>with Windows, at least in 32-bit form, anyway. 64-bit ODBC drivers, OTOH,
>>>are rather thin on the ground (there's SQL, and that's it OOB).

>>>I'd create one set of 32-bit ODBC data sources, using the 32-bit ODBC
>>>Administrator (in Windows\SysWOW64), and a differently-named set of 64-bit
>>>sources, using the "stock" ODBC Administrator (ie from Administrative
>>>Tools).
>>>
>>>And see which set the application sees.

>>Alas, neither. The app is supposed to work out of the box without me
>>administering ODBC, but it does not and that is why I am looking at error
>>messages.

>Try creating them as System DSNs, not User DSNs.

The continuation of the app install time message "Data source name not found ...
explained how to manually administer a System DSN by Adding SQL server, which is
what I have been doing with both 32 and 64 bit administrators.

At run time the app gives messages about app.mdb drivers not loaded but I
suppose that is a consequence of the install failure. It is only the database
functions of the app that don't work, but I have another app whose database
functions don't work but I have seen no error messages from it. I did an
upgrade install of Windows and that fixed one small problem but not this one .

Robert Aldwinckle

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1.2c.3K5KxV$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Google shows that many users have problems with 32 bit ODBC apps in XP
> x64.
>
> Standard advice is to run odbcad32.exe from folder syswow64.
>
> My experience is that it declines to ADD .mdb components, but seems to
> successfully add .sql components, until I "Test Connection", when it
> fails.
>
> The app reports "Data source name not found and no default driver
> specified."
>

> Any suggestions?

Try posting to an Access forum or newsgroup? (E.g. assuming that is what
..mdb implies.)

Otherwise it could be security/obscurity, so I would run ProcMon for clues.
ProcMon would be good to help you see if there are any other diagnostics
that you are overlooking too (e.g. as seen by traces of file writes) and you
might even be able to infer additional diagnostics that you could enable
using it but it would probably be more efficient to be guided by someone who
was more familiar with that particular database technology (which I suspect
you are less likely to find here. <w>)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---