Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Indexing of a website.

Indexing of a website.

Brian Robertson

A while back I asked about a search engine for my website. An example page
is http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html

Someone kindly suggested http://www.google.com/cse/ Very good it seems too!
One slight problem though. All of the information that I want to index is
inside tables, and this system seems to ignore stuff in tables.

Any suggestions?

--
Visit my website: British Railways in 1960

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Brian Robertson wrote:
>> A while back I asked about a search engine for my website. An
>> example page is http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html
>>
>> Someone kindly suggested http://www.google.com/cse/ Very good it
>> seems too! One slight problem though. All of the information that I
>> want to index is inside tables, and this system seems to ignore
>> stuff in tables. Any suggestions?
>>

> Well, I'm pretty sure Google does index content within tables. See
> this search:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yejqsrm
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
>
> The name "Regimbal" in the search query only appears within a table on
> that page.
>
> You can also go to my main page in my sig and enter "Regimbal" in the
> Google search. You'll get a correct search.
>
> Also, look at this search of your own site:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/y9eqx2l
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
>
> I think the problem is likely the lack of meaningful text within that
> table.

Yes, Google indexes everything, but I want to put a search box on my website
that just searches my website. The Google tool that does this does NOT seem
to read text inside the boxes. ie People have no means of looking for a
particular railway station.
--
Visit my website: British Railways in 1960
http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk

idle

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:37:03 -0000, Brian Robertson wrote in alt.html:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Brian Robertson wrote:
>>> A while back I asked about a search engine for my website. An
>>> example page is http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html
>>>
>>> Someone kindly suggested http://www.google.com/cse/ Very good it
>>> seems too! One slight problem though. All of the information that I
>>> want to index is inside tables, and this system seems to ignore
>>> stuff in tables. Any suggestions?
>>>

>> Well, I'm pretty sure Google does index content within tables. See
>> this search:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/yejqsrm
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
>>
>> The name "Regimbal" in the search query only appears within a table on
>> that page.
>>
>> You can also go to my main page in my sig and enter "Regimbal" in the
>> Google search. You'll get a correct search.
>>
>> Also, look at this search of your own site:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/y9eqx2l
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
>>
>> I think the problem is likely the lack of meaningful text within that
>> table.

> Yes, Google indexes everything, but I want to put a search box on my website
> that just searches my website. The Google tool that does this does NOT seem
> to read text inside the boxes. ie People have no means of looking for a
> particular railway station.

You can set the CSE to search results only from your web site. Or web. Or
both.

--
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

dorayme

In article <dAzbn.122351$(E-Mail Removed)2>,
"Brian Robertson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A while back I asked about a search engine for my website. An example page
> is http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html

Where is the search box in the above url?

> Someone kindly suggested http://www.google.com/cse/ Very good it seems too!
> One slight problem though. All of the information that I want to index is
> inside tables, and this system seems to ignore stuff in tables.
>
> Any suggestions?

Others have said how you can configure the search engine. Besides
the google one I mentioned to you earlier, there is
<http://www.atomz.com/> which is excellent: but may not be
configurable to confine to your site.

But before doing anything further re searching, best to get your
site it into fighting shape. No doctype? Microsoft FrontPage 6.0
generator is fraught with danger.

Get a doctype pronto, get some alt into the img elements, fix up
faults like id="1" (begin with one of {A-Z,a-z} followed by zero
or more of {A-Z,a-z,0-9,-,_,:,.}).

Get rid of font elements, use the CSS sheet and latch onto your
classes and style.

Alderley Edge and Wilmslow eh? That brings back memories! Also, I
used to sit on the embankments near Didsbury station collecting
train numbers! <g>

--
dorayme