Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Using ICS on a wireless connection

Using ICS on a wireless connection

renrab

My host computer is wired directly to the modem/router, I guess that is a
gateway? I have a client computer that has a wireless card. This connects
fine. Can I enable ICS on the client computer that has a wireless connection
and then plug an ethernet cable into it to feed a connection to an Xbox for
Xbox live?

James Egan

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 22:11:01 -0800, renrab
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My host computer is wired directly to the modem/router, I guess that is a
>gateway?

The router is the gateway. If you switch on ICS the router and the
"client computer" are both gateways.

>I have a client computer that has a wireless card. This connects
>fine. Can I enable ICS on the client computer that has a wireless connection
>and then plug an ethernet cable into it to feed a connection to an Xbox for
>Xbox live?

You can get outgoing connections working that way but the best
approach is to leave ICS off and establish a bridge between the wired
and wireless. Here are some instructions.

Jim.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
ICS is software Router.
By using it after your main Router you create Double Routing.
You can try it might work depending on what aspects of the connection are
used.
Otherwise it is better to do what was suggested above.
Bridging makes one cohesive network from the two segments and the IPs and
Routing are controlled by the Main Router.
If you have trouble with the Bridging read this,
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q302348
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...