Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: What's the matter with Linux this time?

Re: What's the matter with Linux this time?

peterwn

On Feb 7, 1:39*am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Larry D'Loserites always have some excuse for why linux usage on the desktop
> is stagnant. But after trending steadily downward throughout the past year
> (25% less in January 2010 then in January 2009), you'd really have to say
> now that linux usage is dying a slow death.
>
> Cheap just doesn't cut it -- even in the middle of the world's worst
> recession in 80 years, free linux distros went begging in favor of OsX and
> now Windows 7.
>
> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
>
> Guys, really, I keep telling you -- it's all about the applications. Linux
> just can't compete when it comes to offering a platform for professional
> quality applications.

The statistics are useful only to the extent that they give the
portions of operating system that browse the web, based on site hits.

They do not give any indication of the total number of Linux boxes or
explain why the recent Linux Australia conference hosted in
Wellington, Nz was a stand-out success. Nor does it explain why
Bisbane and its Technical University were desperate to host that
conference next January.

You pathetically accused me of being a software pirate and you were
the one who ended up with egg all over your face. Want some more egg
eh?

victor

peterwn wrote:
> On Feb 7, 1:39 am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Larry D'Loserites always have some excuse for why linux usage on the desktop
>> is stagnant. But after trending steadily downward throughout the past year
>> (25% less in January 2010 then in January 2009), you'd really have to say
>> now that linux usage is dying a slow death.
>>
>> Cheap just doesn't cut it -- even in the middle of the world's worst
>> recession in 80 years, free linux distros went begging in favor of OsX and
>> now Windows 7.
>>
>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
>>
>> Guys, really, I keep telling you -- it's all about the applications. Linux
>> just can't compete when it comes to offering a platform for professional
>> quality applications.

> The statistics are useful only to the extent that they give the
> portions of operating system that browse the web, based on site hits.
>
> They do not give any indication of the total number of Linux boxes or
> explain why the recent Linux Australia conference hosted in
> Wellington, Nz was a stand-out success. Nor does it explain why
> Bisbane and its Technical University were desperate to host that
> conference next January.
>
> You pathetically accused me of being a software pirate and you were
> the one who ended up with egg all over your face. Want some more egg
> eh?

According to those statistics and the way this sad Wintroll interprets them
No one in China, Korea, or Japan uses computers.
Apple should give up on the iphone because no one uses it.
Macs can't compete, so its pointless for pros to continuing to use
Digidesign Protools or Avid or Aftereffects etc
Internet Explorer is one of the four best browsers.

peterwn

On Feb 7, 3:26*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > You pathetically accused me of being a software pirate and you were
> > the one who ended up with egg all over your face. *Want some more egg
> > eh?

> I said you were nz.comp's premiere advocate of internet piracy. Was I wrong?
> Is there someone who rants against intellectual property more than you?
> Pardon me.

I think you need a memory refresh. On 23 January in the "Office
Genuine Advantage - bug" thread you said in response to my posting:
QUOTE
<shakes head>

Install a valid licensed copy of XP, troll, not that "presumably
reimaged"
version you downloaded from PiarteBay.
/QUOTE

OK, on the peculiar planet you live on with its strange ntellectual
Property rules, it may well be that I am peceived as a 'premiere
advocate of internet piracy'. How you come to this conclusion would
baffle even the characters in Alice in Wonderland, especially Humpty
Dumpty who declares that words mean what he says they mean.