Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Save Image

Save Image

David W. Simmonds

Is there a way I can have a button on a ASP.NET form that when clicked will
allow the user to save the image to a file on the client side? I know that
the user can simply rclick the image and select Save Target as..., but the
button might be a more intuitive way.

Michael Pearson

You could make the button do a response.redirect("insert path to image
here")

Michael

"David W. Simmonds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newszhQb.244902$X%5.43959@pd7tw2no...
> Is there a way I can have a button on a ASP.NET form that when clicked

will
> allow the user to save the image to a file on the client side? I know that
> the user can simply rclick the image and select Save Target as..., but the
> button might be a more intuitive way.

---

David W. Simmonds

That just brings up another instance of the image in the window. It does not
prompt the user to save it. Does anyone know how I might do this or am I
stuck with the standard method of having the user rclick the image and
select from the menu?

"Michael Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You could make the button do a response.redirect("insert path to image
> here")
>
> Michael
>
> "David W. Simmonds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newszhQb.244902$X%5.43959@pd7tw2no...
> > Is there a way I can have a button on a ASP.NET form that when clicked

> will
> > allow the user to save the image to a file on the client side? I know

that
> > the user can simply rclick the image and select Save Target as..., but

the
> > button might be a more intuitive way.
> >

> ---

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

Thanks for posting in the community! My name is Steven, and I'll be
assisting you on this issue.
From your description, you'd like to let the user manually click a button
to download a certain image file. Just like they use the "save as" menu in
the IE's content menu ,yes?

As for this problem, I think we can implement this by setting the page's
Response object's "ContentType" and Header member. First we set the
Response.ContentType as "Image/GIF" or "Image/JPEG" to specify the response
stream as a image. Then, add a Header item into the response using the
Response.AddHeader method to streaming the image as an attachment to the
browser , then in the client the browser will popup a dialog to let the
user choose open or save the certain file. For example:

Response.ContentType = "Image/GIF";
Response.AddHeader( "Content-Disposition",
"attachment;filename=\"Microsoft.gif\"" );
Response.WriteFile("Microsoft.gif"); // write the file to the response
stream

Also, here is an sample page, you may have a try on it:
-----------------------aspx page-----------------------------------------
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>Download</title>
</HEAD>
<asp:Label id="lblMessage" runat="server" Text="Click the button to
download the image!"></asp:Label></FONT></td>
<asp:Button id="btnDownload" runat="server"
Text="Download"></asp:Button></td>
</form>
</HTML>

-----------------------code behind page class----------------------

public class Download : System.Web.UI.Page
{
protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button btnDownload;
protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label lblMessage;

{
}

{
//
//
InitializeComponent();
base.OnInit(e);
}

/// <summary>
/// </summary>
private void InitializeComponent()
{
this.btnDownload.Click += new
System.EventHandler(this.btnDownload_Click);

}
#endregion

private void btnDownload_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
Response.ClearHeaders();
Response.ClearContent();
Response.Clear();
Response.ContentType = "Image/GIF";

Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition","attachment;filename=\"MS.gif\"");
Response.WriteFile(Server.MapPath("MS.gif"));
Response.End();
}
}

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security