Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Viewing Folders in Windows Explorer

Viewing Folders in Windows Explorer

Nathan Sokalski

When I do a search for a file or folder, I want to be able to go to it in
Windows Explorer and see the directory hierarchy. Instead, when I
right-click on the search results and select "Open in new window" it takes
me to the folder, but the directory hierarchy is not expanded. The basic
summary of what I want is for Windows Explorer to always show me the
complete directory hierarchy for anything I do or view. In my mind, the
things such as Desktop are just shortcuts to the folder where they are
actually located. Can somebody tell me how to make Windows Explorer always
show me the complete path when I am using Windows Explorer? Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Tom

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I do a search for a file or folder, I want to be able to go to it in
> Windows Explorer and see the directory hierarchy. Instead, when I
> right-click on the search results and select "Open in new window" it takes
> me to the folder, but the directory hierarchy is not expanded. The basic
> summary of what I want is for Windows Explorer to always show me the
> complete directory hierarchy for anything I do or view. In my mind, the
> things such as Desktop are just shortcuts to the folder where they are
> actually located. Can somebody tell me how to make Windows Explorer always
> show me the complete path when I am using Windows Explorer? Thanks.
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

You sound as if you want two things here, so, I'll cover both. You said,

> I want to be able to go to it in Windows Explorer and see the directory
> hierarchy. Instead, when I right-click on the search results and select
> "Open in new window" it takes me to the folder, but the directory
> hierarchy is not expanded. "

It does show the contents once you are in that folder. If you look in the
view column directory, it will show all of the folder within that folder.
Clicking on either folder view (Window or column) as to open it, will give
the same result.

> Can somebody tell me how to make Windows Explorer always show me the
> complete path when I am using Windows Explorer?

It already does, if you simply look at the address bar it shows where the
path is. IF you want it to display like a link, just click in the address
field and that view will appear.

Robert Aldwinckle

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I do a search for a file or folder, I want to be able to go to it in
> Windows Explorer and see the directory hierarchy. Instead, when I
> right-click on the search results and select "Open in new window" it takes
> me to the folder, but the directory hierarchy is not expanded. The basic
> summary of what I want is for Windows Explorer to always show me the
> complete directory hierarchy for anything I do or view.

> In my mind, the things such as Desktop are just shortcuts to the folder
> where they are actually located.

In the case of W7's Libraries that does not seem to be a safe assumption.
; )

> Can somebody tell me how to make Windows Explorer always show me the
> complete path when I am using Windows Explorer? Thanks.

You mean you don't like Vista's (and now W7's) "breadcrumb bar"? ; }
I always have to press Alt-d to see the full path (or at least as much as
the OS wants to show) with it. If you want traditional path displays there
is still the cmd window. ; )

Good luck

Robert
---