Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > File Association problem in Win7

File Association problem in Win7

MikeC

Folks,

In Windows 7 (on a 64-bit Acer laptop), when I try to associate a file with
a program, I click Start, "Default Programs", "Associate a file type with a
program", then choose the file type from a long list of possible types. The
snag is that the types that I want to associate with my favorite editor are
not in the list - surprisingly, as they are ".c", ".h", and less
surprisingly, a file type that is created by a program I wrote, ".Prs"
Can anybody suggest how I can make the associations? Do I have to edit the
registry? I've never done that, so if that is the only way to go, I'd
appreciate careful instructions.

Thanks,
MikeC

Bobby Johnson

You should be able to right click on one of the files with the extension
you want to associate, select "Open with" and then "Choose default
program..." If your editor is not listed among the files in the window
you can choose browse and find the executable file.

On 2010-02-05 17:21, MikeC wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In Windows 7 (on a 64-bit Acer laptop), when I try to associate a file
> with a program, I click Start, "Default Programs", "Associate a file
> type with a program", then choose the file type from a long list of
> possible types. The snag is that the types that I want to associate with
> my favorite editor are not in the list - surprisingly, as they are ".c",
> ".h", and less surprisingly, a file type that is created by a program I
> wrote, ".Prs"
> Can anybody suggest how I can make the associations? Do I have to edit
> the registry? I've never done that, so if that is the only way to go,
> I'd appreciate careful instructions.
>
> Thanks,
> MikeC

MikeC

When I right-click a .c or .h file in Windows Explorer, there is an "Open"
link, also Edit, Send to, Share with, cut, copy, Add to archive, etc - but
no "Open with".

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should be able to right click on one of the files with the extension
> you want to associate, select "Open with" and then "Choose default
> program..." If your editor is not listed among the files in the window
> you can choose browse and find the executable file.
>

> On 2010-02-05 17:21, MikeC wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> In Windows 7 (on a 64-bit Acer laptop), when I try to associate a file
>> with a program, I click Start, "Default Programs", "Associate a file
>> type with a program", then choose the file type from a long list of
>> possible types. The snag is that the types that I want to associate with
>> my favorite editor are not in the list - surprisingly, as they are ".c",
>> ".h", and less surprisingly, a file type that is created by a program I
>> wrote, ".Prs"
>> Can anybody suggest how I can make the associations? Do I have to edit
>> the registry? I've never done that, so if that is the only way to go,
>> I'd appreciate careful instructions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> MikeC

Tom

"MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks,
>
> In Windows 7 (on a 64-bit Acer laptop), when I try to associate a file
> with a program, I click Start, "Default Programs", "Associate a file type
> with a program", then choose the file type from a long list of possible
> types. The snag is that the types that I want to associate with my
> favorite editor are not in the list - surprisingly, as they are ".c",
> ".h", and less surprisingly, a file type that is created by a program I
> wrote, ".Prs"
> Can anybody suggest how I can make the associations? Do I have to edit
> the registry? I've never done that, so if that is the only way to go, I'd
> appreciate careful instructions.
>
> Thanks,
> MikeC

You can really only (nearly all of the time) associate a file type with the
program that created it. For example, you cannot get a program that opened
with Apple's Itunes and then change it to attempt to open with Windows Media
Player. If you're just trying to get it in the list, at the bottom of that
list, you should see "Choose default Program", and then go to the directory
where the executable you want (could) open that particular program. If you
have your extensions in view ( i.e. programname.exe as ".exe" being the
extension), you will be able to tell the what is the actual program.

Robert Aldwinckle

"MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I right-click a .c or .h file in Windows Explorer, there is an "Open"
> link, also Edit, Send to, Share with, cut, copy, Add to archive, etc - but
> no "Open with".

Try pressing Shift-Click?

Alternatively, assoc and ftype (in a cmd window) should still work.
; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You should be able to right click on one of the files with the extension
>> you want to associate, select "Open with" and then "Choose default
>> program..." If your editor is not listed among the files in the window
>> you can choose browse and find the executable file.
>>

>> On 2010-02-05 17:21, MikeC wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> In Windows 7 (on a 64-bit Acer laptop), when I try to associate a file
>>> with a program, I click Start, "Default Programs", "Associate a file
>>> type with a program", then choose the file type from a long list of
>>> possible types. The snag is that the types that I want to associate with
>>> my favorite editor are not in the list - surprisingly, as they are ".c",
>>> ".h", and less surprisingly, a file type that is created by a program I
>>> wrote, ".Prs"
>>> Can anybody suggest how I can make the associations? Do I have to edit
>>> the registry? I've never done that, so if that is the only way to go,
>>> I'd appreciate careful instructions.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> MikeC

Susan

I get an "Open with" choice. If I select it, and the program is not there,
I get a "Choose the default program." If I still don't see my program, there
is a "Browse" button on the bottom right. Is that what you were looking for?

--
Susan
Still Flyin'

-30-