Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Friends Don’t Let Friends Do IE6

Friends Don’t Let Friends Do IE6

Sweetpea

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:19:17 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:27:28 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> The fact that they’re accounting for well in excess of 25% of your
>>> support costs.

>> Again, what support costs do I have, given that I was referring to an
>> hypothetical case?

> So you’re not really supporting MSIE6 at all, in spite of all your
> protestations?

*I* never said *I* was supporting anything. But there are people out there who do not have or require
bleeding edge browsers in order to do what they want to do, and people who wish to continue to
include that percentage of their customer base will design their websites so that their sites degrade
gracefully, and thereby support older browsers.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:19:17 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Again, what support costs do I have, given that I was referring to an
>>> hypothetical case?

>> So you’re not really supporting MSIE6 at all, in spite of all your
>> protestations?

> *I* never said *I* was supporting anything. But there are people out there
> who do not have or require bleeding edge browsers in order to do what they
> want to do, and people who wish to continue to include that percentage of
> their customer base will design their websites so that their sites degrade
> gracefully, and thereby support older browsers.

But only hypothetically, of course.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:26:39 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Ah, so you’re selling old stuff to old people stuck using old platforms?

> No that is not what I suggested people might be selling - and you *know* I
> didn't suggest that!

What were you talking about, then? MSIE6 = old platforms, people stuck with
old platforms = old people, the only stuff you can sell to such people = old
stuff.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:26:39 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> I pity you, because your margins can’t be high, but your support costs
>> are.

> Given that I did not refer to anything that I myself was doing ...

Then who were you referring to, then?