Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Friends Don’t Let Friends Do IE6

Reply
Thread Tools

Friends Don’t Let Friends Do IE6

 
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2010
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:42:39 +1300, geoff wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:08:07 +1300, geoff wrote:
>>
>>> Sweetpea wrote:
>>>> Excuse me??!
>>>>
>>>> This application has had two point releases and one major version
>>>> release since the version that we're *still* using.
>>>>
>>>> The business doesn't want to purchase a new version until they must.
>>>
>>> "Must" is clearly a rather subjective term in this case.
>>>
>>>
>>> geoff

>>
>> It is a financial situation. The bean counters don't want to spend
>> money on it. And, the truth be told, the present application has
>> sufficient functionality to enable us to conduct our business.

>
> Then they pays their money (or not) and makes their choice.
>
> However upping to IE 8 or FF or whatever costs nothing.


.... except reliable functionality that works as expected in MSIE6. I use Firefox for accessing the Internet.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2010
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:43:47 +1300, geoff wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:
>>>> For example, there will always be a market for flour. There is
>>>> nothing "innovative" or "new" about flour.
>>>
>>> But imagine if someone doesn't care about the freshness or staleness
>>> of the flour they're buying. Do you think they will be interested in
>>> your new, fresh flour?

>>
>> You are speaking ****!

>
> Well I'd say (for about the first time ever) , he's not !
>
> geoff


Well... for a business that has more than 25% of its repeat e-commerce business coming from people
using MSIE6 they would be insanely stupid to stop supporting that version of MSIE. What about that do
you fail to understand?


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2010
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:33:30 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:59:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:41:24 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 20:33:53 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Alas, enough people still use MSIE6 to mean that some businesses
>>>>>>>> still need to test websites in MSIE6 if they wish to ensure that
>>>>>>>> there is no impediment for people wishing to purchase from their
>>>>>>>> website.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> People who still have to use IE6 don’t seem like a very likely
>>>>>>> market for innovative new products.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> True. So, it very much depends on what your market is and what your
>>>>>> products are, doesn't it!
>>>>>
>>>>> Doesn’t seem very likely.
>>>>
>>>> For example, there will always be a market for flour. There is
>>>> nothing "innovative" or "new" about flour.
>>>
>>> But imagine if someone doesn’t care about the freshness or staleness
>>> of the flour they’re buying. Do you think they will be interested in
>>> your new, fresh flour?

>>
>> You are speaking ****!

>
> Temper, temper. You were the one who brought up the flour analogy. If
> it’s ****, it’s your ****.


Flour is flour. It rarely sits so long in a store that it even has the chance to become stale.

My point is that for people who whom the goods that they wish to purchase are not bleeding edge
commodities it really does not matter that they are using a browser that is a few years old.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2010
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:33:30 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:59:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>
>>>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> For example, there will always be a market for flour. There is
>>>>> nothing "innovative" or "new" about flour.
>>>>
>>>> But imagine if someone doesn’t care about the freshness or staleness
>>>> of the flour they’re buying. Do you think they will be interested in
>>>> your new, fresh flour?
>>>
>>> You are speaking ****!

>>
>> Temper, temper. You were the one who brought up the flour analogy. If
>> it’s ****, it’s your ****.

>
> Flour is flour. It rarely sits so long in a store that it even has the
> chance to become stale.


Keep some for as long as MSIE6 is old, then come back to me on that.

> My point is that for people who whom the goods that they wish to purchase
> are not bleeding edge commodities it really does not matter that they are
> using a browser that is a few years old.


Ah, so you’re selling old stuff to old people stuck using old platforms?

I pity you, because your margins can’t be high, but your support costs are.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2010
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> Well... for a business that has more than 25% of its repeat e-commerce
> business coming from people using MSIE6 they would be insanely stupid to
> stop supporting that version of MSIE. What about that do you fail to
> understand?


The fact that they’re accounting for well in excess of 25% of your support
costs.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2010
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:26:39 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Ah, so you’re selling old stuff to old people stuck using old platforms?


No that is not what I suggested people might be selling - and you *know* I didn't suggest that!


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2010
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:26:39 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> I pity you, because your margins can’t be high, but your support costs
> are.


Given that I did not refer to anything that I myself was doing what margins might I have? and what
support costs might those be?

I suggest that you re-read this thread from the beginning, Larry.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2010
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:27:28 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> The fact that they’re accounting for well in excess of 25% of your
> support costs.


Again, what support costs do I have, given that I was referring to an hypothetical case?


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2010
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:37:43 +1300, geoff wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:43:47 +1300, geoff wrote:
>>
>>> Sweetpea wrote:
>>>>>> For example, there will always be a market for flour. There is
>>>>>> nothing "innovative" or "new" about flour.
>>>>>
>>>>> But imagine if someone doesn't care about the freshness or staleness
>>>>> of the flour they're buying. Do you think they will be interested in
>>>>> your new, fresh flour?
>>>>
>>>> You are speaking ****!
>>>
>>> Well I'd say (for about the first time ever) , he's not !
>>>
>>> geoff

>>
>> Well... for a business that has more than 25% of its repeat e-commerce
>> business coming from people using MSIE6 they would be insanely stupid
>> to stop supporting that version of MSIE. What about that do you fail to
>> understand?

>
> Um, they support their e-commerce website - super. What has that got to
> do with whatever browser somebody might use ?
>
> It can be compatible with IE6 without being compromised at all - it's
> the client using IE6 that may be compromised.


Agreed!

but all important functionality needs to be accessible in all modern browsers and also in MSIE.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2010
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:27:28 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> The fact that they’re accounting for well in excess of 25% of your
>> support costs.

>
> Again, what support costs do I have, given that I was referring to an
> hypothetical case?


So you’re not really supporting MSIE6 at all, in spite of all your
protestations?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Friends don't let friends drink and fly through space =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= Computer Support 6 07-29-2007 03:52 AM
OT: Let me in! Let me in! quasi/various/bob [7.13.86.42] MCSE 7 05-30-2006 10:00 PM
Have a nice day! ...//more of your parables. Pray let us know whoyou are, let us Ravens U. Locksmith Python 1 05-26-2004 11:00 AM
winxp IE will not let you exit, and my comptuer / other folders will not let you open them. Daniel NZ Computing 2 05-11-2004 02:02 AM
Let or not let the text float Luigi Donatello Asero HTML 6 01-15-2004 04:08 PM



Advertisments