Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Friends Don’t Let Friends Do IE6

Friends Don’t Let Friends Do IE6

Sweetpea

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:25:55 +1300, geoff wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Here's how to help the stubborn ones:
>> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/-want-to-get-someone.ars>.

> Does anybody still use IE6 ? Why ? And who cares if they do - serve
> them right....

Alas, enough people still use MSIE6 to mean that some businesses still need to test websites in MSIE6
if they wish to ensure that there is no impediment for people wishing to purchase from their website.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 19:17:18 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> geoff wrote:
>> Sweetpea wrote:

>>> This particular application is an internal application (ie It is
>>> hosted on servers within the company). I do _not_ use MSIE _any_ other
>>> purpose. The computer is fully patched within hours of the patches
>>> being released.
>>>
>>> It was released by CA in 2003. It is a POS and has all sorts of
>>> behaviour quirks that only seem to not show up on MS Windows when
>>> using MSIE6. In this particular case I think a true IT professional
>>> would require that all persons who use this application should stay
>>> using MSIE6 to access this application until it is upgraded (whenever
>>> that might be), and should use any other browser to access the WWW.

>> Maybe they need to maintain , update, or replace the application ?
>>

> Warning - you are conversing with Lennier. In his world an application
> released in 2003 never has upgrades.

Excuse me??!

This application has had two point releases and one major version release since the version that we're
*still* using.

The business doesn't want to purchase a new version until they must.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> Alas, enough people still use MSIE6 to mean that some businesses still
> need to test websites in MSIE6 if they wish to ensure that there is no
> impediment for people wishing to purchase from their website.

People who still have to use IE6 don’t seem like a very likely market for
innovative new products.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 20:33:53 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>
>> Alas, enough people still use MSIE6 to mean that some businesses still
>> need to test websites in MSIE6 if they wish to ensure that there is no
>> impediment for people wishing to purchase from their website.

> People who still have to use IE6 don’t seem like a very likely market
> for innovative new products.

True. So, it very much depends on what your market is and what your products are, doesn't it!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 20:33:53 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:
>>
>>> Alas, enough people still use MSIE6 to mean that some businesses still
>>> need to test websites in MSIE6 if they wish to ensure that there is no
>>> impediment for people wishing to purchase from their website.

>> People who still have to use IE6 don’t seem like a very likely market
>> for innovative new products.

> True. So, it very much depends on what your market is and what your
> products are, doesn't it!

Doesn’t seem very likely.

Sweetpea

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:08:07 +1300, geoff wrote:

> Sweetpea wrote:
>> Excuse me??!
>>
>> This application has had two point releases and one major version
>> release since the version that we're *still* using.
>>
>> The business doesn't want to purchase a new version until they must.

> "Must" is clearly a rather subjective term in this case.
>

> geoff

It is a financial situation. The bean counters don't want to spend money on it. And, the truth be told, the
present application has sufficient functionality to enable us to conduct our business.

If MS Word is sufficient to type a letter, and if all you need to do is to type letters to people within the
company who also use MS Word, then there is no reason to upgrade to something newer and better.
(the analogy fits)

Sweetpea

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:41:24 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

>>> People who still have to use IE6 don’t seem like a very likely market
>>> for innovative new products.

>> True. So, it very much depends on what your market is and what your
>> products are, doesn't it!

> Doesn’t seem very likely.

For example, there will always be a market for flour. There is nothing "innovative" or "new" about flour.
However, there will always be people prepared to purchase flour. And, if the only place to purchase
flour ends up being a website, then those who purchase flour will figure out how to use a browser in
order to get to that website so that they can continue to purchase flour.

They won't care what browser they use (much less what version). They won't care whether or not their
computer is a Microsoft virus hive so long as they can connect to the WWW.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:41:24 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> True. So, it very much depends on what your market is and what your
>>> products are, doesn't it!

>> Doesn’t seem very likely.

> For example, there will always be a market for flour. There is nothing
> "innovative" or "new" about flour.

But imagine if someone doesn’t care about the freshness or staleness of the
flour they’re buying. Do you think they will be interested in your new,
fresh flour?

Sweetpea

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:59:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

>>> Doesn’t seem very likely.

>> For example, there will always be a market for flour. There is nothing
>> "innovative" or "new" about flour.

> But imagine if someone doesn’t care about the freshness or staleness of
> the flour they’re buying. Do you think they will be interested in your
> new, fresh flour?

You are speaking ****!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 22:59:18 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> For example, there will always be a market for flour. There is nothing
>>> "innovative" or "new" about flour.

>> But imagine if someone doesn’t care about the freshness or staleness of
>> the flour they’re buying. Do you think they will be interested in your
>> new, fresh flour?

> You are speaking ****!

Temper, temper. You were the one who brought up the flour analogy. If it’s
****, it’s your ****.