Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Parental control software: Allow only certain website to be accessed?

Parental control software: Allow only certain website to be accessed?

8ball meme

I would like to find a software that will allow my young children
access to only a few limited websites. We have windows xp. Thanks

Dan C

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:58:49 -0800, 8ball meme wrote:

> I would like to find a software that will allow my young children access
> to only a few limited websites. We have windows xp. Thanks

STFW.
JFGI.
GAFC.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.

chuckcar

8ball meme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:98dc8175-c137-4811-8326-

> I would like to find a software that will allow my young children
> access to only a few limited websites. We have windows xp. Thanks

Net Nanny. Been around forever. Any decent computer store shuld have it.

http://www.netnanny.com/products/netnanny/long

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

The Real Truth MVP

http://www.netnanny.com/alt_rotate

your time.

"8ball meme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to find a software that will allow my young children
> access to only a few limited websites. We have windows xp. Thanks

8ball meme

yes they filter content, but I want to block all sites, except a few
that we allow our young kids.

Mike Yetto

Bada bing 8ball meme <(E-Mail Removed)> bada bang:
> yes they filter content, but I want to block all sites, except a few
> that we allow our young kids.

Put the computer in the living room or den and watch what they
do.

If you don't trust your kids, or don't care to teach them what is
appropriate and what is not, then step up and monitor them
yourself.

Or you can apply someone else's standards to their internet use.

Mike "just who is in control there?" Yetto
In practice they are not.

chuckcar

"§nühw¤£f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9D165F6E8D4C7snuhwolfyahoocom@216.196.97.1 42:

> 8ball meme <(E-Mail Removed)> clouded the waters of pure thought
> with news:75dbe7be-54b9-4c51-a606-c01be2e58c22
> @u26g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:
>
>> yes they filter content, but I want to block all sites, except a

> few
>> that we allow our young kids.
>>

> Learn to use a HOST file?
>
> Theres custom host files that will block "adult" sites.

Not what he asked. He wants them to *only* use a limited number of sites
that they've chosen.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

news:Xns9D16A3BCB414snuhwolfyahoocom@216.196.97.14 2:

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> clouded the waters of pure thought with
>
>> "§nühw¤£f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:Xns9D165F6E8D4C7snuhwolfyahoocom@216.196.97.1 42:
>>
>>> 8ball meme <(E-Mail Removed)> clouded the waters of pure thought
>>> with news:75dbe7be-54b9-4c51-a606-c01be2e58c22
>>> @u26g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

>>> few

> Never heard of "whitelisting"?
>
> http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2043282
>
> Interesting discussion.

Using favorites and uinstalling all but one web browser would be a
much simpler solution. Then you'd only have to turn off appearance of
the address bar.

If the OP decided to use IE, then

view->addressbar

Then you'd only have to clear the history to make it completely impossible
to go anywhere else.

tools->internet options and then click on "clear history".

No point in adding unnecessary complexity/

--

news:Xns9D175911E57C7snuhwolfyahoocom@216.196.97.1 42:

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> clouded the waters of pure thought with
>
>> If the OP decided to use IE, then
>>
>> view->addressbar
>>
>> Then you'd only have to clear the history to make it completely
>> impossible to go anywhere else.
>>
>> tools->internet options and then click on "clear history".
>>
>> No point in adding unnecessary complexity/
>>

> Kids shouldnt do these things unsupervised:
>
> Use a knife
> Drive a car
> Use the computer
> Handle a gun
>
> Parents are lazy.

If the kid has to way put the car in gear or remove the emergency brake
there's no danger is there? Your analogy is faulty - in *this* case.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 04:39:04 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> If the kid has to way put the car in gear or remove the emergency brake
> there's no danger is there?

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy