Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > key

Eric Allen

what key in win7 do you press during bootup to get the choice of which
hard drive or floppy/usb you want to boot from?

Bobby Johnson

That is a BIOS function, not Windows 7 function. And, which key used
would be somewhere in your user's manual.

On one of my systems it's F9, another is F8 (which I don't like),
another is F12, and another is the Esc key.

For Windows options itself the F8 key will let you choose to boot into
the Safe mode and a couple of options.

David Kerber wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> That is a BIOS function, not Windows 7 function. And, which key used
>> would be somewhere in your user's manual.
>>
>> On one of my systems it's F9, another is F8 (which I don't like),
>> another is F12, and another is the Esc key.

> My machines are mostly either F2 or Delete.
>

>> For Windows options itself the F8 key will let you choose to boot into
>> the Safe mode and a couple of options.
>>

>> On 2010-02-03 15:13, Eric Allen wrote:
>>> what key in win7 do you press during bootup to get the choice of which
>>> hard drive or floppy/usb you want to boot from?

I'm trying to get the menu choice to boot from any source at startup,
those other keys give me no options

Bobby Johnson

Then you need a commercial boot manager, but I don't have any
recommendations since I don't use one.

What you want is not a Windows feature at all - it's a Boot Manager
feature. A program that you must install and is loaded before Windows
boots up.

Search the internet for a Boot Manager.

Bobby Johnson wrote:
> Then you need a commercial boot manager, but I don't have any
> recommendations since I don't use one.
>
> What you want is not a Windows feature at all - it's a Boot Manager
> feature. A program that you must install and is loaded before Windows
> boots up.
>
> Search the internet for a Boot Manager.
>

> On 2010-02-03 16:38, Eric Allen wrote:
>> David Kerber wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> My machines are mostly either F2 or Delete.

>> I'm trying to get the menu choice to boot from any source at startup,
>> those other keys give me no options

I'll see what I can find

R. C. White

Hi, Eric.

Bobby gave you the right answer the first time: It's a BIOS function. It
has NOTHING to do with Windows - or any other operating system. It is a
choice that must be made BEFORE you ever get to the Boot Manager.

What make and model of computer do you have? Or which motherboard and BIOS
if you built it yourself?

My EPoX motherboard, built 3 years ago (before EPoX went out of business
<sigh> ), has an Award BIOS dated in 2006. This is the first machine I've
had that allows me to select the boot device after power-on. Previous
computers required me to make the selection in the BIOS utility, then
reboot.

This BIOS lets me press the <Esc> key almost immediately after power-on - or
Restart - during the POST (Power-On Self Test). Then the POST continues and
I see it detect each of my hard drives, then the RAID BIOS kicks in and
reports that the RAID array is Healthy. And THEN I see a screen that lets
me choose to boot from Removable device, or Hard Disk, or CD/DVD-ROM. This
choice is for THIS one boot only; then it reverts to whatever device is set
in the BIOS to boot from on the next reboot. This comes in very handy when
installing Vista or Win7 by booting from the DVD; when Setup gets to the
point where it needs to reboot into Windows, it is already set to boot from
my chosen HDD.

If I don't press <Del> to enter the BIOS utility, or <Esc> to choose a
different boot device, then after POST and RAID detection, the boot manager
will appear and present the menu for me to choose between Win7, Vista or a
"Previous" version of Windows.

But, back to the top of the page: This is a BIOS function. It has nothing
to do with Win7 or Vista or any other Windows. To answer your question,
we'll need to know about your HARDWARE. (And it's the same in 32-bit and
64-bit hardware.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, Eric.
>
> Bobby gave you the right answer the first time: It's a BIOS function.
> It has NOTHING to do with Windows - or any other operating system. It
> is a choice that must be made BEFORE you ever get to the Boot Manager.
>
> What make and model of computer do you have? Or which motherboard and
> BIOS if you built it yourself?
>
> My EPoX motherboard, built 3 years ago (before EPoX went out of business
> <sigh> ), has an Award BIOS dated in 2006. This is the first machine
> I've had that allows me to select the boot device after power-on.
> Previous computers required me to make the selection in the BIOS
> utility, then reboot.
>
> This BIOS lets me press the <Esc> key almost immediately after power-on
> - or Restart - during the POST (Power-On Self Test). Then the POST
> continues and I see it detect each of my hard drives, then the RAID BIOS
> kicks in and reports that the RAID array is Healthy. And THEN I see a
> screen that lets me choose to boot from Removable device, or Hard Disk,
> or CD/DVD-ROM. This choice is for THIS one boot only; then it reverts
> to whatever device is set in the BIOS to boot from on the next reboot.
> This comes in very handy when installing Vista or Win7 by booting from
> the DVD; when Setup gets to the point where it needs to reboot into
> Windows, it is already set to boot from my chosen HDD.
>
> If I don't press <Del> to enter the BIOS utility, or <Esc> to choose a
> different boot device, then after POST and RAID detection, the boot
> manager will appear and present the menu for me to choose between Win7,
> Vista or a "Previous" version of Windows.
>
> But, back to the top of the page: This is a BIOS function. It has
> nothing to do with Win7 or Vista or any other Windows. To answer your
> question, we'll need to know about your HARDWARE. (And it's the same in
> 32-bit and 64-bit hardware.)
>
> RC

..
Acer Win7 (just out of the box) I got into the bios and set that. Good
to go there, thanks.

Carlos

Eric,
Please provide us the exact names of your motherboard's manufacturer and
model.
Carlos

"Eric Allen" wrote:

> Bobby Johnson wrote:
> > Then you need a commercial boot manager, but I don't have any
> > recommendations since I don't use one.
> >
> > What you want is not a Windows feature at all - it's a Boot Manager
> > feature. A program that you must install and is loaded before Windows
> > boots up.
> >
> > Search the internet for a Boot Manager.

> >> I'm trying to get the menu choice to boot from any source at startup,
> >> those other keys give me no options

> I'll see what I can find
> .

R. C. White

Hi, Eric.

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the feedback.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(E-Mail Removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Eric Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. C. White wrote:
>> Hi, Eric.
>>
>> Bobby gave you the right answer the first time: It's a BIOS function.
>> It has NOTHING to do with Windows - or any other operating system. It is
>> a choice that must be made BEFORE you ever get to the Boot Manager.
>>
>> What make and model of computer do you have? Or which motherboard and
>> BIOS if you built it yourself?
>>
>> My EPoX motherboard, built 3 years ago (before EPoX went out of business
>> <sigh> ), has an Award BIOS dated in 2006. This is the first machine
>> I've had that allows me to select the boot device after power-on.
>> Previous computers required me to make the selection in the BIOS utility,
>> then reboot.
>>
>> This BIOS lets me press the <Esc> key almost immediately after power-on -
>> or Restart - during the POST (Power-On Self Test). Then the POST
>> continues and I see it detect each of my hard drives, then the RAID BIOS
>> kicks in and reports that the RAID array is Healthy. And THEN I see a
>> screen that lets me choose to boot from Removable device, or Hard Disk,
>> or CD/DVD-ROM. This choice is for THIS one boot only; then it reverts to
>> whatever device is set in the BIOS to boot from on the next reboot. This
>> comes in very handy when installing Vista or Win7 by booting from the
>> DVD; when Setup gets to the point where it needs to reboot into Windows,
>> it is already set to boot from my chosen HDD.
>>
>> If I don't press <Del> to enter the BIOS utility, or <Esc> to choose a
>> different boot device, then after POST and RAID detection, the boot
>> manager will appear and present the menu for me to choose between Win7,
>> Vista or a "Previous" version of Windows.
>>
>> But, back to the top of the page: This is a BIOS function. It has
>> nothing to do with Win7 or Vista or any other Windows. To answer your
>> question, we'll need to know about your HARDWARE. (And it's the same in
>> 32-bit and 64-bit hardware.)
>>
>> RC

> .
> Acer Win7 (just out of the box) I got into the bios and set that. Good to
> go there, thanks.

Eric Allen

R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, Eric.
>
> Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the feedback.
>
> RC

Thanks for the help...