Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Dreaming of new generation IDE

Re: Dreaming of new generation IDE

Gabriel Genellina

En Sat, 06 Feb 2010 22:34:14 -0300, bartc <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió:
> "Arnaud Delobelle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Gabriel Genellina" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Note the *literal* part. If you (the programmer) is likely to know the
>>> parameter value when writing the code, then the function is actually
>>> two
>>> separate functions.

>> Thanks, I understand what Steve Holden meant now.

> I've just noticed that 'literal' part. But I think I still disagree.
>
> For a real-world example, it means instead of having a room with a
> light-switch in it, if I *know* I want the light on or off, I should
> have two rooms: one with the light permanently on, and one with it
> permanently off, and just walk into the right one.

I think this would be a better analogy: A multiple screwdriver like this
one
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/2044617...crewdriver.jpg
You use it when you need flexibility, or you don't know in advance what
kind of screws you're going to encounter; they're mostly for hobbysts.
On the other hand, you have separate tools like this:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...ca/021-482.jpg
You choose one of them when you know exactly what you want. If the stuff
you're working on uses exclusively certain kind of screws, you don't need
flexibility, and you can choose in advance. They're also professional's
choice.

--
Gabriel Genellina

Steve Holden

bartc wrote:
> "Arnaud Delobelle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>> Note the *literal* part. If you (the programmer) is likely to know the
>>> parameter value when writing the code, then the function is actually two
>>> separate functions.

>> Thanks, I understand what Steve Holden meant now.

> I've just noticed that 'literal' part. But I think I still disagree.
>
> For a real-world example, it means instead of having a room with a
> light-switch in it, if I *know* I want the light on or off, I should
> have two rooms: one with the light permanently on, and one with it
> permanently off, and just walk into the right one.

Congratulations. That has to be the most bogus analogy I've seen on
c.l.py this year.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve Holden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>bartc wrote:
>> "Arnaud Delobelle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks, I understand what Steve Holden meant now.

>> I've just noticed that 'literal' part. But I think I still disagree.
>>
>> For a real-world example, it means instead of having a room with a
>> light-switch in it, if I *know* I want the light on or off, I should
>> have two rooms: one with the light permanently on, and one with it
>> permanently off, and just walk into the right one.

>Congratulations. That has to be the most bogus analogy I've seen on
>c.l.py this year.

Aww, c'mon, it's less than two months into the year, don't be so
hyperbolic.

"At Resolver we've found it useful to short-circuit any doubt and just
refer to comments in code as 'lies'. "

Dreaming of new generation IDE Vladimir Ignatov Python 26 03-15-2010 01:41 PM
Re: Dreaming of new generation IDE Vladimir Ignatov Python 4 02-04-2010 10:54 AM
Re: Dreaming of new generation IDE Jean-Michel Pichavant Python 4 02-03-2010 10:27 PM
Dreaming? JD Digital Photography 5 03-06-2004 04:18 PM
I would like to start serious day dreaming about the Canon D10. Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 5 08-11-2003 06:19 AM

Advertisments