Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lego Mindstorms NXT

Lego Mindstorms NXT

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Anybody else been messing around with one of these kits? I found
instructions for using the NXT controller with Linux scattered here and
there, so I’ve put together an up-to-date description here
<http://wlug.org.nz/LegoMindstorms>.

The NXT_Python toolkit is really handy. I used it to build this
<http://github.com/ldo/nxtcmd>.

bAZZ

In article <hkav3e$6sl$(E-Mail Removed)>, ldo@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand says...

> The NXT_Python toolkit is really handy. I used it to build this
> <http://github.com/ldo/nxtcmd>.

404 Not Found

bAZZ

Enkidu

bAZZ wrote:
> In article <hkav3e$6sl$(E-Mail Removed)>, ldo@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand says...
>
>> The NXT_Python toolkit is really handy. I used it to build this
>> <http://github.com/ldo/nxtcmd>.

> 404 Not Found

Works for me, bAZZ

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

bAZZ

In article <4b6a6977$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> bAZZ wrote:
> > In article <hkav3e$6sl$(E-Mail Removed)>, ldo@geek-
> > central.gen.new_zealand says...
> >
> >> The NXT_Python toolkit is really handy. I used it to build this
> >> <http://github.com/ldo/nxtcmd>.

> > 404 Not Found
> >

> Works for me, bAZZ
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Yep it is now for me too.

It promted me to dig out the lego. We have a web cam that came with the
mindstorm sets that is still going strong. Must be at least 8 or 9 years
old and still in my sons room with some ungodly sculpture of bits of
lego, bionicles, and mindstorm bits sitting with his laptop.

They had heaps fun with those kits and the robosapien bots too. There
was a good strong hacking community with the robos. We had fun making
the flamethrower and nail gun addons LOL. Dunno who was worse, me or
them with crazy ideas. Big Kid came out LOL.

bAZZ

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hkav3e$6sl$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> The NXT_Python toolkit is really handy. I used it to build this
> <http://github.com/ldo/nxtcmd>.

I figured out the sound file compression. I can now convert between .rso
sampled-sound files (both compressed and uncompressed) and .wav format.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, bAZZ
wrote:

> It promted me to dig out the lego. We have a web cam that came with the
> mindstorm sets that is still going strong. Must be at least 8 or 9 years
> old and still in my sons room with some ungodly sculpture of bits of
> lego, bionicles, and mindstorm bits sitting with his laptop.

Did you do much programming? It’s breathtaking the number of different
language options, build tools, custom firmware and other odds and ends that
hackers have built. I’m impressed with how supportive Lego have been of
open-source efforts.

bAZZ

In article <hkkv84$13r$(E-Mail Removed)>, ldo@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand says...

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, bAZZ
> wrote:
>
> > It promted me to dig out the lego. We have a web cam that came with the
> > mindstorm sets that is still going strong. Must be at least 8 or 9 years
> > old and still in my sons room with some ungodly sculpture of bits of
> > lego, bionicles, and mindstorm bits sitting with his laptop.

> Did you do much programming? It?s breathtaking the number of different
> language options, build tools, custom firmware and other odds and ends that
> hackers have built. I?m impressed with how supportive Lego have been of
> open-source efforts.

No, used the efforts of other ppl. At time we used the work others had
done. Hoped the boys might have gotten interested in doing their own
experiments but all they wanted was the addons and wanted them NOW!
Typical lazy teens

Yeah good to see a compnany embrace the users of their products. Pity it
doesn't happen more often in big wide world of software/hardware
products.

bAZZ

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Oh, and I named my NXT controller “Norbert”. Anybody care to guess why?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hkav3e$6sl$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> The NXT_Python toolkit is really handy. I used it to build this
> <http://github.com/ldo/nxtcmd>.

I just found out that .ric graphics files must be uploaded as “linear”
(contiguous) files, otherwise they cannot be drawn. I have added a --linear
option to the upload command.