Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell Dimension 8100 power supply

Dell Dimension 8100 power supply

John B

Can anyone help me please. I have to get a new power supply for
Dell Dimension 8100, I would like to get a 400 watt.
The cheapest I found was about $65.00. I really hate to spend
that much because I might have fried my mother board and cpu also.

I goofed and went to plug the power cable into a hand drive with
the unit running and I saw a little arch.

Thanks John B

Aardvark

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:27:31 -0600, John B wrote:

> Can anyone help me please. I have to get a new power supply for Dell
> Dimension 8100, I would like to get a 400 watt.
> The cheapest I found was about $65.00. I really hate to
> spend
> that much because I might have fried my mother board and cpu also.
>
> I goofed and went to plug the power cable into a hand drive
> with
> the unit running and I saw a little arch.
>

> Thanks John B

Take your pick:

< http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...1313&_nkw=400w
+psu&_sacat=See-All-Categories >

Snurled link:

< http://snipurl.com/u93n1 >

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

Aardvark

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:56:10 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:35:05 GMT, Aardvark
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:27:31 -0600, John B wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone help me please. I have to get a new power supply for Dell
>>> Dimension 8100, I would like to get a 400 watt.
>>> The cheapest I found was about $65.00. I really hate to
>>> spend
>>> that much because I might have fried my mother board and cpu also.
>>>
>>> I goofed and went to plug the power cable into a hand
>>> drive with
>>> the unit running and I saw a little arch.
>>>

>>> Thanks John B

>>Take your pick:
>>
>>< http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...1313&_nkw=400w
>>+psu&_sacat=See-All-Categories >
>>
>>Snurled link:
>>
>>< http://snipurl.com/u93n1 >

> I just put a new supply in a similar Dell PC. Problem is the Dell supply
> has the power connect on the other side of the fan and you have to cut
> the sheet metal down on the back of the PC an inch to see the socket.

I highly recommend the following having used their products daily for many
years:

< http://snipurl.com/u943x >

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

Aardvark

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 11:28:14 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:15:41 GMT, Aardvark
> <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:56:10 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

>>> I just put a new supply in a similar Dell PC. Problem is the Dell
>>> supply has the power connect on the other side of the fan and you have
>>> to cut the sheet metal down on the back of the PC an inch to see the
>>> socket.

>>I highly recommend the following having used their products daily for
>>many years:
>>
>>< http://snipurl.com/u943x >

> A pair of straight tin shears made in China for $10.00 US will suffice.
> If you're going to lay down the cash for Wiss you migfht as well buy the
> right supply from a Dell supplier.

I'm spoiled. I already own four or five sets of Wiss.

I construct suspended ceilings, and they're indispensable.

Draper are cheap and pretty good, though.

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

Aardvark

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:32:17 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>
>> I highly recommend the following having used their products daily for
>> many years:
>>
>> < http://snipurl.com/u943x>
>>

> Not the kind of tools I'd expect a 'chippy' to use on a daily
> basis!(especially one who can construct a whole table without using any
> metal screws, pins or nails! <grin>)

Of all construction trades, joiners tend to know more about other trades
methods than they know about joinery. That's why most site foremen are
joiners by trade.

Another string to my bow is that I'm a highly experienced suspended
ceiling fixer. Hence the snips.

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

Aardvark

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:15:36 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:

>>> Not the kind of tools I'd expect a 'chippy' to use on a daily
>>> basis!(especially one who can construct a whole table without using
>>> any metal screws, pins or nails!<grin>)

>> Of all construction trades, joiners tend to know more about other
>> trades methods than they know about joinery. That's why most site
>> foremen are joiners by trade.

> Hmmm! Are you or have you been a site foreman?

I have been, but I prefer to be 'on the tools'.

>> Another string to my bow is that I'm a highly experienced suspended
>> ceiling fixer. Hence the snips.

> A really skilled activity I should think!

It is. No job is ever the same as another. Each one comes with its own
unique challenges to be overcome.

> The guys who fit out shops
> like M&S and John Lewis seem to have an eye for detail

I've done shopfitting jobs in both. Don't ask me where, I can't remember.
Do a dozen HMV shops over the course of a couple of months and you have to
keep asking passers-by what town you're in.

> - I'm one of the
> few who actually bother to look upwards!

I always do that when entering any building to which the public have
access.

--
Algy met a bear
The bear was bulgy

John B

"Grinder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2/2/2010 9:27 AM, John B wrote:
>> Can anyone help me please. I have to get a new power supply
>> for
>> Dell Dimension 8100, I would like to get a 400 watt.
>> The cheapest I found was about $65.00. I really hate to
>> spend
>> that much because I might have fried my mother board and cpu also.
>>
>> I goofed and went to plug the power cable into a hand drive
>> with
>> the unit running and I saw a little arch.

> This adapter may be of some use:
> http://www.directron.com/dellp16.html
>
> You can get a high quality 430W power supply for $46:

Thanks Guys you'll great as usually

John B