Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is Notepad in x64 version is a 64 Bit application?

Is Notepad in x64 version is a 64 Bit application?

Nobody

I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if Notepad
that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions is 32 or 64
Bits?

The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if the
application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one of these
applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32 Bit application
only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with 64 Bits applications.

Thank you

R. C. White

Hi, Zootal.

Are you sure about those two versions of Notepad.exe?

My computer (Win7 Ultimate x64) shows THREE copies of Notepad.exe in the
Windows folder tree:

C:\Windows\Notepad.exe 7/13/09
7:39 PM 193,536 bytes
C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe 7/13/09 7:39 PM
193,536 bytes
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Notepad.exe 7/13/09 7:14 PM
179,712 bytes

I don't understand the differences. On their Properties | Details page,
they all say:
File version: 6.1.7600.16385

Except for the size and the slight difference in the time stamp, they appear
identical to me. But I'm no techie and I don't begin to understand
SysWOW64.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9D11D007BC9A9nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196. 97.131...
> "Nobody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if
>> Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions
>> is 32 or 64 Bits?
>>
>> The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if
>> the application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one
>> of these applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32
>> Bit application only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with
>> 64 Bits applications.
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> notepad.exe in the windows directory is 64 bit, but the one in the
> system32
> directory is 32 bit. If you can control which version of notepad is being
> run, you could make sure you run the 32 bit version.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is
\windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an x64
system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit. (yeah,
right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)

Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32
directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, masquerading
as the system32 directory.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9D11D007BC9A9nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196. 97.131...
> "Nobody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if
>> Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions
>> is 32 or 64 Bits?
>>
>> The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if
>> the application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one
>> of these applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32
>> Bit application only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with
>> 64 Bits applications.
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> notepad.exe in the windows directory is 64 bit, but the one in the
> system32
> directory is 32 bit. If you can control which version of notepad is being
> run, you could make sure you run the 32 bit version.

Carlos

Charlie,
Unless the 32-bit program uses this function:
that will allow it access to the "real" system32 folder and not to syswow64.
To my knowledge, there is at least one 32-bit app that uses it successfully:
my best text mode shell ZTreeWin.
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is
> \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an x64
> system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit. (yeah,
> right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)
>
> Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32
> directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, masquerading
> as the system32 directory.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9D11D007BC9A9nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196. 97.131...
> > "Nobody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> I don't have a 64 Bit Windows version installed. Does anyone know if
> >> Notepad that is included with Windows XP/Vista/2008/7 64-Bit editions
> >> is 32 or 64 Bits?
> >>
> >> The reason I am asking is that I have developed a tool that fails if
> >> the application that I try to automate is 64 bits, and Notepad is one
> >> of these applications that this tool is used with. It works with 32
> >> Bit application only regardless of OS edition 32/64-Bits, but not with
> >> 64 Bits applications.
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>

> > notepad.exe in the windows directory is 64 bit, but the one in the
> > system32
> > directory is 32 bit. If you can control which version of notepad is being
> > run, you could make sure you run the 32 bit version.

> .

Jeff Gaines

On 01/02/2010 in message <#(E-Mail Removed)> R. C.
White wrote:

>I don't understand the differences. On their Properties | Details page,
>they all say:
>File version: 6.1.7600.16385

Start them up one by one and look at the Task Manager Processes Tab -
there will be an asterisk against the 32 bit processes.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

Charlie Russel - MVP

True. But most 32-bit apps we deal with don't have that ability.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie,
> Unless the 32-bit program uses this function:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...43(VS.85).aspx
> that will allow it access to the "real" system32 folder and not to
> syswow64.
> To my knowledge, there is at least one 32-bit app that uses it
> successfully:
> my best text mode shell ZTreeWin.
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is
>> \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an
>> x64
>> system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit.
>> (yeah,
>> right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)
>>
>> Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32
>> directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory,
>> masquerading
>> as the system32 directory.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>

>> "Zootal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9D11D007BC9A9nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196. 97.131...
>> > "Nobody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> > notepad.exe in the windows directory is 64 bit, but the one in the
>> > system32
>> > directory is 32 bit. If you can control which version of notepad is
>> > being
>> > run, you could make sure you run the 32 bit version.

>> .

Nobody

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am using SetWindowExtEx() API
function, which requires that I use a 64-Bit DLL if I want to hook a 64-Bit
process(This is documented in MSDN). It's one of the few differences between
32 and 64 Bit OS'es.

I have one last question:

Does the shortcut in the Start Menu start the 32 or the 64 bit version?

Thank you

Tom

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually, no. The one in System32 is 64bit as well. But the one is
> \windows\SysWOW64 is 32-bit. All the programs in \windows\system32 on an
> x64 system should be 64-bit. Only the ones in SysWOW64 should be 32-bit.
> (yeah, right. I know that makes NO sense, but there it is.)
>
> Of course, if you use a 32-bit tool to look at the \windows\system32
> directory, all you'll actually see is the SysWOW64 directory, masquerading
> as the system32 directory.

I noticed that as well when checking task manager. Interestingly, the file
versions numbers are exactly the same, despite the variances in the sizes of
those files.

Carlos

Hi,
Only notepad.exe in \windows\syswow64 is 32-bit.
All the rest (start menu, \windows and \windows\system32) are 64-bit.
Carlos

"Nobody" wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am using SetWindowExtEx() API
> function, which requires that I use a 64-Bit DLL if I want to hook a 64-Bit
> process(This is documented in MSDN). It's one of the few differences between
> 32 and 64 Bit OS'es.
>
> I have one last question:
>
> Does the shortcut in the Start Menu start the 32 or the 64 bit version?
>
> Thank you
>

> .

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, the version numbers are the same, since they're driven by the build
number.