Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux TVs

Linux TVs

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Interesting to hear that Samsung are building TV sets that run on Linux,
taking advantage of the multimedia crunching power of FFmpeg (February
Australian PC User magazine, pages 29 & 45).

So much for the hoary old claim that open-source products are the poor
cousins of proprietary ones in terms of features and innovation, when a
major vendor of consumer products can actually depend on Open Source to gain
an edge over the competition.

victor

geoff wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Interesting to hear that Samsung are building TV sets that run on
>> Linux, taking advantage of the multimedia crunching power of FFmpeg
>> (February Australian PC User magazine, pages 29 & 45).
>>
>> So much for the hoary old claim that open-source products are the poor
>> cousins of proprietary ones in terms of features and innovation, when
>> a major vendor of consumer products can actually depend on Open
>> Source to gain an edge over the competition.

> Um, Linux would not likely be for mundane housekeeping such as the setup
> menu, etc. Not the video processing !
>
> geoff

How do you suppose a TiVo processes video ?

All Samsung have to do is go to a developer like Fluendo and get a
badged version of something like http://www.moovida.com/

victor

geoff wrote:
> victor wrote:
>

>> How do you suppose a TiVo processes video ?

> Dedicated video processing DSP chips using their native machine code.
>
> geoff

So you think it performs all the compositing and scaling of video on a
vga card ?

Cima

Let me guess, you need to punch in some obscure code on the remote to change
channels

Gordon

On 2010-02-01, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:hk59kr$t6g$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Interesting to hear that Samsung are building TV sets that run on Linux,
>> taking advantage of the multimedia crunching power of FFmpeg (February
>> Australian PC User magazine, pages 29 & 45).
>>

> "Run on Linux"? No, don't be ridiculous! Samsung uses FFmpeg like anyone
> else would -- as an add-on feature to record, convert and stream audio and
> video.
>
>> So much for the hoary old claim that open-source products are the poor
>> cousins of proprietary ones in terms of features and innovation, when a
>> major vendor of consumer products can actually depend on Open Source to
>> gain
>> an edge over the competition.

> Open-source products are completely proprietary.
>
> According to the authors of FFmpeg , "If you end up violating the LGPL, you
> will likely end up on our shame list and/or get sued by us."

Indeed. All open scource is copyrighted. Break the conditions and someone
will be after the code and/or money.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:

>> Open-source products are completely proprietary.
>>
>> According to the authors of FFmpeg , "If you end up violating the LGPL,
>> you will likely end up on our shame list and/or get sued by us."
>>

> Indeed. All open scource is copyrighted. Break the conditions and someone
> will be after the code and/or money.

The only freedom the GPL/LGPL doesn’t give you is the right to take away
other people’s freedom.

As for trying to explain that fact to certain Dimdows trolls, what Upton
Sinclair said would seem to apply: “It is difficult to get a man to
understand something when his job depends on not understanding it.”

Mary Hanna

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 14:09:47 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Interesting to hear that Samsung are building TV sets that run on Linux,
>taking advantage of the multimedia crunching power of FFmpeg (February
>Australian PC User magazine, pages 29 & 45).
>
>So much for the hoary old claim that open-source products are the poor
>cousins of proprietary ones in terms of features and innovation, when a
>major vendor of consumer products can actually depend on Open Source to gain
>an edge over the competition.

Panasonic does the same as my TV stated it..

victor

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon wrote:
>
>>> Open-source products are completely proprietary.
>>>
>>> According to the authors of FFmpeg , "If you end up violating the LGPL,
>>> you will likely end up on our shame list and/or get sued by us."
>>>

>> Indeed. All open scource is copyrighted. Break the conditions and someone
>> will be after the code and/or money.

> The only freedom the GPL/LGPL doesn’t give you is the right to take away
> other people’s freedom.

Which means that Samsung are obliged to publish the source code.

http://www.samsung.com/global/opensource/

which means that others have the freedom to modify it.

http://hackaday.com/2009/10/18/samsu...mware-hacking/
http://samygo.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

victor

geoff wrote:
> victor wrote:
>> geoff wrote:

>>> Dedicated video processing DSP chips using their native machine code.
>>>
>>> geoff
>>>

>> So you think it performs all the compositing and scaling of video on a
>> vga card ?

> Yer wot ?!! Where did I mention a vga card ?
>
> geoff

A TiVo has onboard display hardware like an all in one motherboard, its
essentially the same thing.
These TVs run a linux kernel, alsa sound, DirectFB framebuffer etc
http://www.directfb.org/

The Sony Bravia LG and Philips TVs also linux probably the Montavista
embedded distro

victor

impossible wrote:

> "victor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hk7ii8$pjg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> The only freedom the GPL/LGPL doesn’t give you is the right to take
>>> away other people’s freedom.
>>>

>> Which means that Samsung are obliged to publish the source code.
>>
>> http://www.samsung.com/global/opensource/
>>

> Obliged? No, you're mincing words. Samsung is **required** to publish
> the source code under terms of the license.

So thats an obligation then

If Samsung were actually
> free to publish or not publish the source code as they freely chose,
> then the authors of FFmpeg would have no recourse under law. Just as
> with any proprietary license, if Samsung wants to use GPL'd software
> then they have to meet the terms and conditions of the intellectual
> property owners.
>
>> which means that others have the freedom to modify it.
>>
>> http://hackaday.com/2009/10/18/samsu...mware-hacking/
>> http://samygo.sourceforge.net/
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page

> Yes, so long as others also adhere to the GPL requirement that they
> publsih the source code.

Duh !