Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Vertical spacing in cells

Vertical spacing in cells

Robert

dorayme wrote:
> In article <hk4ap7$6de$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> in a table cell (which contains the whole the right side menu /
>> context bar of a page) I want to put one element/section/paragraph
>> aligned on the bottom of that cell, while all the rest shall is
>> flowing from the top of the cell.
>> What is a good method for that? some infinite, automatic vspacer
>> or so?
>>
>> I'm only aware of possibly realizing the neighbor cells of the
>> outer table with rowspan=2 and thus maybe haven 2 cells for that
>> right bar area. the lower one with valign=bottom. But that seems
>> complicated and odd...
>>

> If you are going to use tables for layout, it would be odd not to

how can make this vertical positionion "at the right bottom of a
certain area" with other means than tables? a simple example?

> have the stomach for the perfectly normal uncomplicated use of
> rowspan.

(the other cells need all to have correct spans - I often ended in
ill tables when doing so. and just for the purpose of this need of
local positioning of an element which has nothing to do with the
greater table layout ..-.)

Robert

dorayme

In article <hk7fgu$g6c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> how can make this vertical positionion "at the right bottom of a
> certain area" with other means than tables? a simple example?

Why should we go down that road when I have not a clue what you
are really doing. I am not complaining about your use of tables.
Go ahead and use tables. But you seem unwilling to give a URL
that gives an idea of what you want, and you reject rowspan for
some obscure reason.

--
dorayme

Robert

dorayme wrote:
> In article <hk7fgu$g6c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> how can make this vertical positionion "at the right bottom of a
>> certain area" with other means than tables? a simple example?

> Why should we go down that road when I have not a clue what you
> are really doing. I am not complaining about your use of tables.
> Go ahead and use tables. But you seem unwilling to give a URL
> that gives an idea of what you want, and you reject rowspan for
> some obscure reason.

see not other solution than rowspan. didn't the that embedded
table to extend to full vertical extent.

a google keyword hint or so regarding the other option(s) would be
enough. typically I find way upon that. no big road necessary.

Robert

Jonathan N. Little

Robert wrote:
> dorayme wrote:
>> In article <hk7fgu$g6c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> how can make this vertical positionion "at the right bottom of a
>>> certain area" with other means than tables? a simple example?

>> Why should we go down that road when I have not a clue what you are
>> really doing. I am not complaining about your use of tables. Go ahead
>> and use tables. But you seem unwilling to give a URL that gives an
>> idea of what you want, and you reject rowspan for some obscure reason.
>>

> see not other solution than rowspan. didn't the that embedded table to
> extend to full vertical extent.

Glad *you* can see it.

Can't understand why folks ask questions, but will refuse to supply a
URL to what they are trying that fails, then dismiss all suggestions,
and then still will refuse to supply more information, then will
announce that they know the *only* solution which is known to be
patently false by we who actually *know* that we are doing...whew!

BTW to OP your really should update your SeaMonkey, 1.1.5 is ancient,
numerous enhancements and security patched have been apply to current 2.0.2

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Roy A.

On 2 Feb, 16:11, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> BTW to OP your really should update your SeaMonkey, 1.1.5 is ancient,
> numerous enhancements and security patched have been apply to current 2.0.2

When you test your web design I think you should not use the latest
version of a browser. SeaMonkey might be better than Firefox, but we
all know it's the same rendering engine.

We all need a browser to use in regular life. Well, if you need a
"working horse" that nobody cares about, SeaMonkey might be the
choice.

But if you're using SeaMonkey as your "working horse" you should not
use the lates version of Firefox. I mean you should also test for
previous versions of that rendering engine.

Jonathan N. Little

Roy A. wrote:
> On 2 Feb, 16:11, "Jonathan N. Little"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
>> BTW to OP your really should update your SeaMonkey, 1.1.5 is ancient,
>> numerous enhancements and security patched have been apply to current 2.0.2

> When you test your web design I think you should not use the latest
> version of a browser. SeaMonkey might be better than Firefox, but we
> all know it's the same rendering engine.

Ooookay, but what does that have to do with what I said? I was not
talking about testing, I have NN4.61 for testing (I don't really bother
any more, but never bother to uninstall) but I don't USE it for
browsing|posting.

SeaMonkey vs Firefox. Again this was not my point. Only his version is
ancient, and there have been numerous security patches. You chould keep
your browser up to date for security reasons. Unlike the
OS-component-posing-as-a-web-browser, SeaMonkey is not tied to the OS
and unless he is still running Win95 he can update.

> We all need a browser to use in regular life. Well, if you need a
> "working horse" that nobody cares about, SeaMonkey might be the
> choice.

Huh? SeaMonkey happens to be my default browser. I just happen to like
the "suite" over the standalones...

> But if you're using SeaMonkey as your "working horse" you should not
> use the lates version of Firefox. I mean you should also test for
> previous versions of that rendering engine.

Firstly SeaMonkey lags Firefox. Mozilla doesn't support SeaMonkey
anymore an independent team took up the role after Mozilla wanted to
focus on Firefox|Thunderbird route. SeaMonkey team must wait for Firefox
folks before they can incorporate them into SeaMonkey. Firefox 3.x has
been out for some time now and it is only recently that SeaMonkey went
from 1.1.18 (Firefox 2.x engine) to 2.x (Firefox 3.x engine). But again,
what does this have to do with what I wrote, I wasn't talking about
testing.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

On 2 Feb, 18:07, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Roy A. wrote:
> > On 2 Feb, 16:11, "Jonathan N. Little"<(E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:
> > [...]
> >> BTW to OP your really should update your SeaMonkey, 1.1.5 is ancient,
> >> numerous enhancements and security patched have been apply to current 2.0.2

> > When you test your web design I think you should not use the latest
> > version of a browser. SeaMonkey might be better than Firefox, but we
> > all know it's the same rendering engine.

> Ooookay, but what does that have to do with what I said? I was not
> talking about testing, I have NN4.61 for testing (I don't really bother
> any more, but never bother to uninstall) but I don't USE it for
> browsing|posting.
>
> SeaMonkey vs Firefox. Again this was not my point. Only his version is
> ancient, and there have been numerous security patches. *You chould keep
> your browser up to date for security reasons. Unlike the
> OS-component-posing-as-a-web-browser, SeaMonkey is not tied to the OS
> and unless he is still running Win95 he can update.
>

> > We all need a browser to use in regular life. Well, if you need a
> > "working horse" that nobody cares about, SeaMonkey might be the
> > choice.

> Huh? SeaMonkey happens to be my default browser. I just happen to like
> the "suite" over the standalones...
>

> > But if you're using SeaMonkey as your "working horse" you should not
> > use the lates version of Firefox. I mean you should also test for
> > previous versions of that rendering engine.

> Firstly SeaMonkey lags Firefox. Mozilla doesn't support SeaMonkey
> anymore an independent team took up the role after Mozilla wanted to
> focus on Firefox|Thunderbird route. SeaMonkey team must wait for Firefox
> folks before they can incorporate them into SeaMonkey. Firefox 3.x has
> been out for some time now and it is only recently that SeaMonkey went
> from 1.1.18 (Firefox 2.x engine) to 2.x (Firefox 3.x engine). But again,
> what does this have to do with what I wrote, I wasn't talking about
> testing.

If you have to use SeaMonkey, well do it! But you should realize that
Firefox and SeaMonkey (particularly) is Netscape Navigator in
disguise.

Jonathan N. Little

Roy A. wrote:
> On 2 Feb, 18:07, "Jonathan N. Little"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Firstly SeaMonkey lags Firefox. Mozilla doesn't support SeaMonkey
>> anymore an independent team took up the role after Mozilla wanted to
>> focus on Firefox|Thunderbird route. SeaMonkey team must wait for Firefox
>> folks before they can incorporate them into SeaMonkey. Firefox 3.x has
>> been out for some time now and it is only recently that SeaMonkey went
>> from 1.1.18 (Firefox 2.x engine) to 2.x (Firefox 3.x engine). But again,
>> what does this have to do with what I wrote, I wasn't talking about
>> testing.

> If you have to use SeaMonkey, well do it! But you should realize that
> Firefox and SeaMonkey (particularly) is Netscape Navigator in
> disguise.

What? There is no Netscape Navigator anymore. AOL finally dropped it.

http://browser.netscape.com/history

Anyway Firefox|SeaMonkey by Mozilla split company from Netscape when AOL
took over. Yes all based on Gecko, but not sure what is your point. My
point is that the OP should update what he was using for among other
things security reasons. My SeaMonkey 2.0.2 is not the same codebase as
the last Navigator NN9.x which is based on older engine using in SM1.x
and FF2.x

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)

"Roy A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you have to use SeaMonkey, well do it! But you should realize that
> Firefox and SeaMonkey (particularly) is Netscape Navigator in
> disguise.

I saw SeaMonkey (dressed as a fireman) trying to sneak in to this
building the other day. "Hello, hello, hello", I ses to it, "Wot
'ave we 'ere. 'Ave we a littl' monkey?"

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <hk8t4a$kcm$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <hk7fgu$g6c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> how can make this vertical positionion "at the right bottom of a
> >> certain area" with other means than tables? a simple example?

> > Why should we go down that road when I have not a clue what you
> > are really doing. I am not complaining about your use of tables.
> > Go ahead and use tables. But you seem unwilling to give a URL
> > that gives an idea of what you want, and you reject rowspan for
> > some obscure reason.
> >

> see not other solution than rowspan. didn't the that embedded
> table to extend to full vertical extent.
>
> a google keyword hint or so regarding the other option(s) would be
> enough. typically I find way upon that. no big road necessary.

Not quite sure what you want. In case you are unsure how to do
rowspan:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/rowspanForBob.html>

--
dorayme