Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Learn to Setup C1801 and 1142n

Learn to Setup C1801 and 1142n

Mark Smith

Hi Group,

I am new to Cisco and I am about to start CCNA course in the next few
weeks - but I want to learn as much as I can before to maximise what I
get from the course.

Work has provided me an old C1801 router and spare 1142n Aironet with
automous IOS installed to learn with. We have no CCNA as all our
network support is outsourced.

I want to setup the 1142n to have a wireless network with WPA2
security.

I am confused about radius server section on the 1142n? Do I need to
configure radius on the Cisco1801 to authenticate the WPA2 connections
or is this done on the 1142n?

If I need to configure on the Cisco 1801 could someone point me to the
command sets to review?

Also how do you factory default the 1142n as the one I have has had a
previous setup which?

Thanks

Mark

Doug McIntyre

Mark Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I am new to Cisco and I am about to start CCNA course in the next few
>weeks - but I want to learn as much as I can before to maximise what I
>get from the course.

Sure. I recommend reading the Cisco installation docs, and following
along. Their documentation is pretty decent, the intro stuff does walk
you through the basics pretty quickly and efficiently.

The router generally you'll be expected to do command line access on
it with a serial port, so make sure you have a working serial port/USB
dongle first and console cable.

Go through the motions of setting a simple IP address on an interface
with the Quickstart guide.

>Work has provided me an old C1801 router and spare 1142n Aironet with
>automous IOS installed to learn with. We have no CCNA as all our
>network support is outsourced.

>I want to setup the 1142n to have a wireless network with WPA2
>security.

The 1142 quickstart guides generally refer you to the web GUI on the box.
It may just be me, but I feel the CLI is still much easier on the AP
than the GUI, but the docs for the CLI of the 1142 aren't as good.

>I am confused about radius server section on the 1142n? Do I need to
>configure radius on the Cisco1801 to authenticate the WPA2 connections
>or is this done on the 1142n?

You need RADIUS in order to do enterprise level authentication, or if
you are doing a more advanced security model with 802.1x and certificates
and such. Cisco has both a built-in RADIUS server for authentication
on the 1142, as well as the option to use an external one. Or you can
forgo that altogether and just use pre-share-key (PSK). Cisco does
de-emphasize PSK quite a bit for their WiFi stuff, but it can be done.

>If I need to configure on the Cisco 1801 could someone point me to the
>command sets to review?

Start with the Quickstart guide, and the installation manual in the
Cisco docs. I'd point you to some URL's, but Cisco.com seems to be
down today right now.
Sigh.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/cisco.com
It's not just you! http://cisco.com looks down from here.

>Also how do you factory default the 1142n as the one I have has had a
>previous setup which?

Console in and 'write erase' and reboot. Or do you need to do password
recovery?

bod43

On 30 Jan, 18:28, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mark Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >I am new to Cisco and I am about to start CCNA course in the next few
> >weeks - but I want to learn as much as I can before to maximise what I
> >get from the course.

Once you have some basics on your routers, be aware that
you can now emulate a whole network of cisco
routers on your PC.

Dynamips.

It runs real cisco code so you need to have access
to real cisco software images. Someone with a clue
might be able to find some on t'interwebby.

I might eventually read emails sent to me on this
junk account.